Thread: B8 S4 3.0T with APR ultracharger NEED HELP!!

Potential Tuner

B8 S4 3.0T with APR ultracharger NEED HELP!!

Hey everyone. I've been tuning the 2.0T VWs and Audis professionally for nearly 10 years with Eurodyne Maestro and more recently with Cobb. I have a customer with a B8 S4 that we're attempting to do some custom tuning with. It's my first time messing with a 3.0T and I'll admit that I'm lost. I have yet to make a successfull dyno pull as I'm getting throttle valve implausible signal faults as soon as I load up the dyno at 2500 rpm. I've been playing with the two tables pertaining to throttle plate area over throttle angle and it's inverse table but am still getting faults no matter what I do. I have many revisions and logs already but I'll post my most recent one here. I've been copying and pasting from other 3.0T dual pulley tunes that I've seen posted, along with some of my own changes to the file that I wanted to start with. If anyone has any thoughts on this, I'd appreciate any guidance.

Thank You!!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Potential Tuner
    I'll add that I'm getting the following codes that I didn't get before when the car had the APR tune on it:

P0123 - Throttle/Pedal position Sensor A Circuit High
    P0221 - Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch B Circuit Range/Peformance
    P0638 - Throttle Actuator Control Range/Performance - Bank 1

The throttle responds well and normally without throwing any codes until I apply a full load on the dyno. So I'm guessing this is an airflow calculation that ECU is calculating to not be possible considering the throttle position. This is just a guess, but again, any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Advanced Tuner
    Max throttle angle for error is 90 and you hit 99.6 in the logs right before cut, you could try to FF [ECM] 12409 - ETC Throttle Angle Max: as the ECU thinks it needs more than that to make the airflow requested.

also your torque and aircharge tables aren't really inverse of each other so that could be causing it also. I would retune those tables first.

Potential Tuner
    Did you end up having any success with this TCU platform?

Tuner in Training
    How have you been making out on this? I have similar issues with an APR throttle body I am trying to sort through.

Potential Tuner
    Hey guys, figured I'd weigh in on this. I've been tuning the SIMOS8.4/8.5 for years professionally with Garage Auto Sports (GAS).

Because the APR Ultracharger uses a Hemi throttle body, there are quite a few voltage/signal maps that need to be modified to make those faults go away. I'll attach an example of some of them below (modified maps are in white), but long story short you will not be able to do it with HPTuners as they don't have enough ECU access. You will need WinOLS and a full damos to make the changes you need. My recommendation is to switch to WinOLS anyway for this ECU as there are a LOT more maps that you will like to have to make a good tune that HPT simply doesn't give access to.

Any questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Bill

APR UC changes ex.png
    Last edited by GarageBill; 04-03-2023 at 03:09 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Hi Bill,

I would love to have a look at a stage 2 dual pulley bin file to see what has been changed. I have a home brewed stage 1+ 8.5 tune on my dual pulley 2012 C7 A6, that I'm sure is lacking some finesse.

Potential Tuner
    We don't expressly share our software, but if you email me your Stage 1+ bin with a list of mods I'd be more than happy to take a look at it for you and give you a few tips!

I'll DM you in the info