Thread: Heavily Modded 2016 Ram w/ High Compression 5.7L-18psi MAP, 100% Throttle at Start-up

Tuner

Heavily Modded 2016 Ram w/ High Compression 5.7L-18psi MAP, 100% Throttle at Start-up

Hi to all my fellow tuners out there! I joined the HP tuners fam back in September of 2021 and have spent quite a bit of time reading through many of the threads on here and have acquired some great knowledge. That being said, I've hit quite a snag here. So I have a 2016 Ram with a 5.7L hemi. Its a built motor with ported heads, forged internals, Wiseco forged +4cc pistons, American Racing cat-less long tubes, 6.4L intake, ATI Super Damper 15% Underdrive Pulley, Fastman 84mm Bored throttle body and all the other typical mods. i get the motor sounding good and load the tune attached below and my scanner is showing some off values before start up as well as the dash showing the dreaded lightening bolt flashing saying service throttle. First I notice that my relative throttle is showing 5 volts and throttle SAE is 100% open which i know doesn't even really exist as my typ WOT would show around 83-85% and 3.8 volts. I also notice that my absolute manifold pressure is showing 18psi which is much higher than usual. I also see that my final throttle torque requested is 440 ft/lbs which seems way high. My actual torque is showing -155 ft/lbs where requested is showing 82 ft/lbs. I have tried 3 diff throttle bodies and all 3 yielded the same results so I don't believe its the throttle body or TPS sensor. I am stumped here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've attached my last scan, the loaded tune, as well as my stock tune. If anyone could rake the time to look these over I would greatly appreciate it.
    Last edited by Spray-Cam Hell-Ram; 03-20-2022 at 04:36 AM. Reason: Grammer fixes, Font changes, Bold Italics for Title

Advanced Tuner
    Thats a very odd log! Have you tried a throttle relearn?

Tuner
    Yes I have. Through hp tuners and did the 15 second hard reset. And did this with all 3 throttle bodies

Tuner
    During thus log, it idles around the 1000-1150 range and seems really overly aggressive. Kind of like an out of control hard chop. After running for a minute or so itll start to backfire here and there out of the exhaust and thats when i will shut it off. Definitely runs super rich. And I can watch the pedal switch voltage move up and down as i press the gas so it makes me think that its not the accelerator pedal sensor either.

why is the IAT "-84F" ?
    (ambient and coolant are fine)

Tuner
    Im not really sure. I notice that I actually have 2 separate IAT's in the log and one is accurate, and the other is -83. i know that it generally will read -83 if the sensor is not connected to the harness. i will post a new log. I got the throttle portion fixed and down from 100 to 16 percent. But the demanded throttle torque is still 440 ft/lbs, the desired idle is still 1200 rpm, and its still calling for 100% airflow and showing a negative actual torque as well as 18.2psi as my map at start up. I dont get it. Are my accel pedal values alright? Why is it atill calling for 100% airflow? I thought the throttle being fixed would have also perhaps fixed this as well...

Tuner
    Here is just a quick current log just to show where all my pid values are at start up. Fixed the throttle 100% but then many of the others just got even worse. Requested torque at 1100 ft/lbs?! And no airflow? I will gladly pay for a good tune and direrction at this point. I dont know what has happened here...

Tuner
    here is the log...and the tune that I loaded for this log...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner
    I went ahead and loaded my stock tune and ran a quick log just to see what changes. some values are off as expected but it seems that some of the others like manifold pressure have straightened out.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner
    Does anyone have any idea which tune settings possibly could be responsible for a throttle torque request of 440 ft/lbs and then a transmission torque request of 1140 ft/lbs, as shown in any and all of my previously posted logs?

Tuner in Training
    Had one so the same thing, ended up being the crank position sensor.

Tuner
    Hi Creton, In your similar your case, youy also had these really high torque requests , as well as high map, running super rich, and by any chance was your throttle calling for 100% airflow even before start up? Or were you referring to just having these really high torque requests at start-up?

Tuner in Training
    Map, throttle both showed 100% koeo