Thread: noob first question for the tuning gods - 5.3 idle and fuel help

Potential Tuner

noob first question for the tuning gods - 5.3 idle and fuel help

ok. first post. first time using hptuners.

i've been researching and using the forums and tune samples as much as i can regarding my setup.

5.3 LM4 - gen 3 aluminum 5.3 engine - stock
    BTR stage 3 truck cam (specs pictured below) - upgraded springs/lifters, stock pushrod length
    gm 50 lb/hr flex fuel injectors 12613412
    255 lph pump
    58-60 psi fuel pressure returnless system
    706 heads
    truck intake
    drive by wire - 02 Silverado tac and tb.
    stock maf/sensors
    0411 pcm
    4l80e trans

trying to get the truck to start and idle. played with the tune using suggestions/files/other tunes and tables others have posted.
    truck now starts and idles, but the warmer it gets the richer it gets.
    will begin having misfires on all cylinders after about 2-3 minutes of run time. will eventually foul out plugs unless i clear it out above 2500 rpm.
    smells super rich. innovate motorsport lambda gauge is showing a fluctuating lambda around 1.04.

i am attaching a few pictures, as well as the current tune file and a log file of this morning's start up.

i'm just looking for help to get it where it can run well enough to let it just run, and perhaps move it to the other side of my garage under it's own power.

thanks anyone that helps.

F65D26BD-E8C5-464C-BADE-F66DFEF87ABC (1).JPG
    IMG_1488 (1).jpg
    IMG_1490 (1).jpg

s10 5.3 tune 5.hpt
    22-03-11 12-13-06.hpl
    Last edited by Cynical 1; 03-12-2022 at 09:20 AM.

Possibly check to see if your o2 sensors are crossed. The bank 2 sensor is always lean in open loop, like pegged and then when closed loop started at the end of the log the fuel trims on both banks went completely the opposite way.

Are you running a cable throttle body or a drive by wire?

This tune says it's using a drive by wire in the systems options.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Use cheap copper plugs to tune on so when they foul and get wrecked over time its fine because they are cheap

only when you are finished tuning, dyno tuned, done done done get those nice iridiums and install a new set

I recommend idle/cruise at 14.9 to 15.4:1 air fuel ratio to keep the plugs looking clean, white, fresh. Reduce carbon deposits.

Anything richer than 14.5:1 will gradually darken the plugs. Actually 14.4 to 14.8 will 'brown them up' a bit, which is 'fine' but personally I like to keep em looking almost new white.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Possibly check to see if your o2 sensors are crossed. The bank 2 sensor is always lean in open loop, like pegged and then when closed loop started at the end of the log the fuel trims on both banks went completely the opposite way.

Are you running a cable throttle body or a drive by wire?

This tune says it's using a drive by wire in the systems options.
    Yes I'm drive by wire.

I'll double check the o2's.

*update - checked the o2's. they are on the correct sides.
    Last edited by Cynical 1; 03-12-2022 at 10:10 AM.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by kingtal0n View Post
    Use cheap copper plugs to tune on so when they foul and get wrecked over time its fine because they are cheap

only when you are finished tuning, dyno tuned, done done done get those nice iridiums and install a new set

I recommend idle/cruise at 14.9 to 15.4:1 air fuel ratio to keep the plugs looking clean, white, fresh. Reduce carbon deposits.

Anything richer than 14.5:1 will gradually darken the plugs. Actually 14.4 to 14.8 will 'brown them up' a bit, which is 'fine' but personally I like to keep em looking almost new white.
    These are just cheap platinum ngk plugs.
    Thanks for the afr suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynical 1 View Post
    Yes I'm drive by wire.

I'll double check the o2's.

*update - checked the o2's. they are on the correct sides.
    It looks like you zero'd out the bank 2 oxygen sensor switch mv table. Copy the bank 1 table and paste it over to bank 2 and it should work correctly again. Fuel>oxygen sensors>Rich/lean airflow
    2001 Silverado 5.3 - 209/217 cam, GT45 Turbo on 7lbs, Aem x-series wideband, 50lb/hr flex fuel injectors, on E85 with content sensor

1999 Silverado 6.0/4L80E Summit Stage one camshaft, 317 heads (replaced cast iron)

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Vardaman View Post
    It looks like you zero'd out the bank 2 oxygen sensor switch mv table. Copy the bank 1 table and paste it over to bank 2 and it should work correctly again. Fuel>oxygen sensors>Rich/lean airflow
    Good catch there Matt!

Potential Tuner
    thanks a lot! i don't know how or why it got zeroed out... but thanks for catching it!

anything else that looks bad or goofy?

Quote Originally Posted by kevin87turbot View Post
    Good catch there Matt!
    It was defintely a weird one!
    2001 Silverado 5.3 - 209/217 cam, GT45 Turbo on 7lbs, Aem x-series wideband, 50lb/hr flex fuel injectors, on E85 with content sensor

1999 Silverado 6.0/4L80E Summit Stage one camshaft, 317 heads (replaced cast iron)

thanks a lot! i don't know how or why it got zeroed out... but thanks for catching it!

anything else that looks bad or goofy?
    Everything looks normal except your injector data for the the 12613412 injectors. The data looks fairly far off from what I have found and am running in my current truck. I'm not saying yours is wrong, but have Blindsquirell, 5fdp, Kevin87turbot, or someone with experience check the injector data.

I have these for the return style and returnless fuel pressure data for those injectors. 3-13-22 tahoe tune new read.hpt00 Trans Am GM#12613412 Injector Data (1) returnless.hptve tuning return style flex injector data.hpt

I have seen the injector data you have currently in a tune file for an E40 on this forum.

Also Check the low octane and high octane timing in the 2002 Tahoe tune file, that's what I'm running currently in a heavy extended cab truck. You could run my low octane table, and it would really wake up your engine. Use it as a compare file, and always ease into timing.
    Last edited by Matt Vardaman; 03-15-2022 at 12:44 AM.

Potential Tuner
    Everything looks normal except your injector data for the the 12613412 injectors. The data looks fairly far off from what I have found and am running in my current truck. I'm not saying yours is wrong, but have Blindsquirell, 5fdp, Kevin87turbot, or someone with experience check the injector data.

I have these for the return style and returnless fuel pressure data for those injectors. 3-13-22 tahoe tune new read.hpt00 Trans Am GM#12613412 Injector Data (1) returnless.hptve tuning return style flex injector data.hpt

I have seen the injector data you have currently in a tune file for an E40 on this forum.

Also Check the low octane and high octane timing in the 2002 Tahoe tune file, that's what I'm running currently in a heavy extended cab truck. You could run my low octane table, and it would really wake up your engine. Use it as a compare file, and always ease into timing.
    thanks for the suggestions. is your truck cammed? 5 wire maf? 50lb flex injectors?

thanks for the suggestions. is your truck cammed? 5 wire maf? 50lb flex injectors?
    It is cammed, same Maf, and the same flex injectors 12613412 and on a P01 Pcm
    Last edited by Matt Vardaman; 03-15-2022 at 05:32 PM.