Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jaguar F-type 2015-2019 V8 Tuning

Potential Tuner

Jaguar F-type 2015-2019 V8 Tuning

Ok?I thought Ill reach out and see what?s achievable using HP tuners when it comes to tuning these cars with upgraded pulleys etc.

I have been told by a reputable tuner, HP only has predefined maps and it determines what portion of the Hex you can edit only. So its only possible to do a basic tune, adjusting some timing & fuelling & so on, and I will be unable to tune the vehicle to run upgraded pulleys.

Been tuning for over ten years mainly GM and Ford, and when looking at the HP data available I find this hard to believe as it allows allot of editing e.g., SC by pass valve and so much more.

Has anyone manged to tune these cars successfully with HP ??? and if so some guidance would be appreciated.

I love HP and would rather use it, as it give me total control. However i don't want to be wasting my time either if not possible.

Thanks

Potential Tuner
    Well, given I haven’t had any replies whether or not HP tuners has the full ability to tune these engines, I’ll make a start next week by changing a few torque limits tables, fuel and spark multiplies regarding the catalytic converters, and supercharger tables. Initially I want to have full control over the boost before introducing timing and adjusting the final lambda.

I’ll keep you all posted regarding the results before and after, and share the dyno figures prior to installing the new pulleys etc

Tuner
    Let's us know how it comes along.

I have a 2014 V8. HP Tuners will make some additions based on your ECM or TCM version but it takes some time.

But there seems to be a lot missing based on the data I have available for my 2015 C7.

Potential Tuner
    Will do and thanks for the reply, great to see someone else interested in tuning these f-types.
    Not every one’s cup of tea LOL
    Looking at the parameters available, I can’t see why once I get my head around the torque modelling, I couldn’t tune the car to its full potential. So far, I am seeing with std pulleys 11 psi, supporting 23 degrees of timing with a lambda of 0.75, so on the rich side.
    I’ll keep posted once I get a chance to put it on the rollers under more load.

Potential Tuner
    Comparing to an .ols there are some limiters missing in a hptuners. And some of these are wrong described, same for a trans.
    That's why i gave up on this and using a winols and a flasher.

Potential Tuner
    I finally got a chance to spend some valuable time on the dyno the other day, and apply what i know about tuning.
    Please take into consideration these figures are just a guide as all dyno's vary. Two initial runs with factory tune showed 475HP at the wheels. I made a few simple changes, one being the fuel as they do command a rich mixture at WOT. A lamda of 0.800 (11.8AFR) seems to always show the best HP and torque IMO. Timing was slightly increased, only a few degrees which really helps all forced inductions cars. My final timing being 27.5, using a premium unleaded. I increased the torque limits, driver demand, increased boost limits MAP and supercharger max boost to 100%.

At this stage i really cant say if i had total control over the boost and especially the bypass valve, however during the run the valve wasn't active until 6000RPM, my boost at max rpm of 6500 was 10.3 PSI. Which in fact was the same boost i saw from the factory run.

Overall i manged to pick up another 38HP (513HP) at the wheels, but the best was the increase in torque, which at the end of the day torque is what spins wheels. The initial crank torque was 623 at 6400RPM and current torque is 711NM at 6400 RPM.

I also increased the torque values in the trans, as these seem to limit what can be put through the transmission.

The car is totally different, its a weapon in comparison with just a few minor changes.

Next is top and bottom pulley changes, high flow cats 200 cells and back on the dyno.

My biggest issues ahead is, am i going to optimize all the potential from the pulley upgrades using HP tuners. My final goal is to achieve 570 HP at the wheels.

What i can also say, HP tuners has done a fantastic job, regarding the ability to optimize the tuning of the ZF8HP, i can say it may be one of the best software available for these gearboxes, however re the engine time will tell.

Tuner
    That's great results! Thanks for sharing.

Tuner in Training
    Hello

i had your problems two years ago, if you read my post in the same forum (tuning F-type 3 liter v6) i got rise the boost (it is not only By pass valve demand) putting the lower pulley.

I still keep my upper pulley. the main table is the torque demand, but gets problem with gearbox if you rise too much a low rpm range as gearbox try to change gear because you rise the torque, so you need rise the torque values in the gear box to limit slip in the gear box

let me know if it is useful for you

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for your reply, and input, much appreciated. Nice to know i am not the only person trying to tunes F-types with HP tuners.

I finally got around to finishing the upgrades, and tune. I installed the VAP pulleys, both upper and lower, fairly easy installation especially if you use the new GripTech upper pulley, as the hub can be heated and slipped onto the supercharger snout. Other modifications included a full custom 2.5 inch twin exhaust with 100 cell cats and K&N air filters.
    I decided to tune the car on a good quality fuel 98 RON (entry level race fuel). It’s not a daily, so I would rather run a good quality fuel that helps prevent any detonation and also helps keep the valves and injectors clean given its a DI engine.

The main area of the tune I concentrated was the driver demand tables, boost max and limits, Desired load, Max load, Throttle body airflow, Airflow Desired and Model given the increase in supercharger RPM, fueling and timing, with some minor adjustments to the Maf meters based on short trims errors. The max power was achieved with a fuel ratio of 11.8 and timing approx. 27. The DI engines can run slightly leaner due to their efficiency put I didn’t want to push my luck much past 12.0 for obvious reasons. Average boost was 12.5 psi during the run. This part I am not 100% sure a got all the potential out of the two pulleys. The pulleys state they are good for 14.5 psi, however as we know boost is a measure of back pressure so maybe the exhaust is flowing better and boost is down a little!!

All my runs were done in 5th gear. At that stage I was only revving the engine to 6000rpm as the transmission was limiting it.

At 6000 rpm in 5th, it was putting down just over 600HP at the wheels. I can comfortably say if I saw another 800rpm, it would have hit 620HP easily. That’s without playing with the cam timing yet. I am not one of those guys who tries to estimate the flywheel HP as who knows how much is lost through the drive line.

Overall, the car is a total weapon on the street, and if not respected it will send you heading towards the curb in a flash LOL. Time for some better-quality tires.

Tuner
    Thanks for the update! Always appreciated and enjoy the F-type's new power.

Tuner
    Hi conmano and raulhp,

With all my changes to the tune, I can't seem to get more than 10.x psi of boost. What's the tables needed to achieve the same boost as the SVR which I believe is 15 psi? I'll share my tune if needed.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by conmano View Post
    Thanks for your reply, and input, much appreciated. Nice to know i am not the only person trying to tunes F-types with HP tuners.

I finally got around to finishing the upgrades, and tune. I installed the VAP pulleys, both upper and lower, fairly easy installation especially if you use the new GripTech upper pulley, as the hub can be heated and slipped onto the supercharger snout. Other modifications included a full custom 2.5 inch twin exhaust with 100 cell cats and K&N air filters.
    I decided to tune the car on a good quality fuel 98 RON (entry level race fuel). It?s not a daily, so I would rather run a good quality fuel that helps prevent any detonation and also helps keep the valves and injectors clean given its a DI engine.

The main area of the tune I concentrated was the driver demand tables, boost max and limits, Desired load, Max load, Throttle body airflow, Airflow Desired and Model given the increase in supercharger RPM, fueling and timing, with some minor adjustments to the Maf meters based on short trims errors. The max power was achieved with a fuel ratio of 11.8 and timing approx. 27. The DI engines can run slightly leaner due to their efficiency put I didn?t want to push my luck much past 12.0 for obvious reasons. Average boost was 12.5 psi during the run. This part I am not 100% sure a got all the potential out of the two pulleys. The pulleys state they are good for 14.5 psi, however as we know boost is a measure of back pressure so maybe the exhaust is flowing better and boost is down a little!!

All my runs were done in 5th gear. At that stage I was only revving the engine to 6000rpm as the transmission was limiting it.

At 6000 rpm in 5th, it was putting down just over 600HP at the wheels. I can comfortably say if I saw another 800rpm, it would have hit 620HP easily. That?s without playing with the cam timing yet. I am not one of those guys who tries to estimate the flywheel HP as who knows how much is lost through the drive line.

Overall, the car is a total weapon on the street, and if not respected it will send you heading towards the curb in a flash LOL. Time for some better-quality tires.
    If you have an AWD model on an AWD dyno with locked/synced rollers, there's no reason the trans would limit you to 6,000rpm, I've never had an issue with them. If it's a RWD model, any RWD dyno has worked for me too.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by djyankees31 View Post
    Hi conmano and raulhp,

With all my changes to the tune, I can't seem to get more than 10.x psi of boost. What's the tables needed to achieve the same boost as the SVR which I believe is 15 psi? I'll share my tune if needed.
    SVR is till 9-10psi stock, all the +2015 till 2018ish 5.0L engines are the same, just limited in power from software.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by irish07 View Post
    SVR is till 9-10psi stock, all the +2015 till 2018ish 5.0L engines are the same, just limited in power from software.
    Thanks for letting me know. Maybe I'll change the crank pully to get more boost. What's the largest that can be installed on a 2014 5.0l engine without over spinning the SC?

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by djyankees31 View Post
    Thanks for letting me know. Maybe I'll change the crank pully to get more boost. What's the largest that can be installed on a 2014 5.0l engine without over spinning the SC?
    You'll clash with other parts long before reaching the max rpm of the blower. Largest you can install for a crank is 177mm, any larger and the belt will slice into the mechanical vacuum pump.

Advanced Tuner
    Awesome thread! Love the sharing of knowledge!
    Coming from Lambo Huracan turbo arena it's a nice fresh breath of fresh air.
    Just picked up 2014 F Type 5.0.
    Wife's car so not looking to go nuts. Upper and lower pulley and new cal file will be it.

I've used HPT for 20 yrs now.
    Currently using it for 2017 Camaro roadracing car. So Driver Demand Torque tables ect I am familiar with.

What is the the difference in 2014 versus 2015 and up cals?
    Sounds like some easy hp.

THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by irish07 View Post
    Cams are very similar, the difference start more in 2016.
    FYI, it?s not really worth the time to use HPT on this model ecu for dual pulleys, it?s very costly for credits on the 5.0 and all the required maps are not defined to get all the power for the dual pulley setup. WinOLS is the way to go on this to program dual pulleys. If you go the HPT route, the SC bypass will not stay closed under WOT and you will generate charged air MAP sensor codes for range performance.

Thank you for replying.

You meantion the way to ho is WinOLS..
    Not sure I am following you.

Thanka!
    [IMG][/IMG]

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by NICKY BOY View Post
    Thank you for replying.

You meantion the way to ho is WinOLS..
    Not sure I am following you.

Thanka!
    HPT may be good for a lot of the American brands, but for the European vehicles, not all the mapping is fully defined in HPT definition files. This means you can do an ?ok? stage 1 file. But you?ll need something more advanced to push things further on JLR than HPT, the more experienced bunch use a program called WinOLS.

Advanced Tuner
    gotcha
    [IMG][/IMG]

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by NICKY BOY View Post
    gotcha
    I honestly see no issue using HP tuners. HP tuners still has the best features around for the ZF gear boxes.
    So using that to your advantage and tuning the engine and gear box together, with upgraded pulleys, air filters and 100 cell cats, i achieved over 14psi at 6900rpm and 600HP at the wheels.

Still more in it, if i get a chance to play with the VCT one day.