Thread: Gen 4 5.3 Bored to 5.7 Cam advance 1 tooth

Potential Tuner

Cool Gen 4 5.3 Bored to 5.7 Cam advance 1 tooth

Before I make a mistake. Can I advance a camshaft 1 tooth and not effect the E38 58x and 4x cam gear signal. Or should I put an adjustable cam gear and line it up dot to dot! I programed my buddy's car on the old 350 with an 97 vortec and worked flawlessly. Learning gen 4 ls and loving it! Just this is a stumper before I screw up. Thanks for any help I can get! LS9 Cam is the target. Has no advance in it. I degreed the cam 1 tooth and it looks to be 7.5 degrees of advance. Took extra time and looking at option.

Tuner in Training
    lol as long as it doesn't kiss your pistons and 2 make sure you have money on stand by but other that that full send lol ,but seriously not a good idea if you haven't done it before maybe some who has will mention it
    1996 5.7 vortec k1500 (4x4) 411 pcm swap ,lt4/lt1 hot cam ,1.6 rockers, mpfi upgrade, cai, long tube headers ,true dual exhaust getting ready for the turbo
    lmk if you need help with your 96-99 vortec just text my number
    email :[email protected]
    (956)784-1824

Quote Originally Posted by Horton View Post
    Before I make a mistake. Can I advance a camshaft 1 tooth and not effect the E38 58x and 4x cam gear signal. Or should I put an adjustable cam gear and line it up dot to dot! I programed my buddy's car on the old 350 with an 97 vortec and worked flawlessly. Learning gen 4 ls and loving it! Just this is a stumper before I screw up. Thanks for any help I can get! LS9 Cam is the target. Has no advance in it. I degreed the cam 1 tooth and it looks to be 7.5 degrees of advance. Took extra time and looking at option.
    Richard Holdener did this exact thing with the LS9 cam. The line of thinking being advancing the cam would push the powerband down lower since that cam is notoriously soft down low. It did not work well at all, it was trading like 4-6hp at the top for 3-5tq down low. I recommend watching the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5We7UpWyXfY

edit: it's hard to find the exact intake centerline specs. Some information has the ls9 cam ground with one degree of retard. The cam would be awesome ground on a 112+2. Also it's a one bolt cam gear most of the time.
    Last edited by Matt Vardaman; 03-17-2022 at 01:03 AM.
    2001 Silverado 5.3 - 209/217 cam, GT45 Turbo on 7lbs, Aem x-series wideband, 50lb/hr flex fuel injectors, on E85 with content sensor

1999 Silverado 6.0/4L80E Summit Stage one camshaft, 317 heads (replaced cast iron)

The LS9 camshaft belongs in the garbage lol.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.