Thread: 11-17 Mustang 3.7L V6 - VCT tuning? IVO, EVC, Overlap in OP mode?

11-17 Mustang 3.7L V6 - VCT tuning? IVO, EVC, Overlap in OP mode?

Has anyone experimented with the VCT settings in optimum power mode for the 3.7L V6? Specifically Intake Valve Opening, Exhaust Valve Closing and overlap. All of the white papers I've reviewed with lab testing and simulations showed that the settings for the lowest CO/NOx emissions coincided with the best fuel economy and the most torque/power. But looking at the odd torque dip at 3000 RPM lasting to about 3200 RPM made me wonder if there was a way to mitigate that drop. Has anyone had any success?

The camshafts on the 3.7 are the same on the 3.3 and N/A 3.5 engines. From what I recall the trucks, Mustangs, transverse Fords all share the same cams. So there's no "truck" cam or Mustang cam. But I don't have any base reads on the N/A Truck V6s to compare.

Looking at my N/A 3.5 in the Explorer, the Police Interceptor 3.7, and the Mustangs, they all have differences in the sub-4000 RPM IVO/EVC settings.

Potential Tuner

3.7 Ranger GT

Quote Originally Posted by metroplex View Post
    Has anyone experimented with the VCT settings in optimum power mode for the 3.7L V6? Specifically Intake Valve Opening, Exhaust Valve Closing and overlap. All of the white papers I've reviewed with lab testing and simulations showed that the settings for the lowest CO/NOx emissions coincided with the best fuel economy and the most torque/power. But looking at the odd torque dip at 3000 RPM lasting to about 3200 RPM made me wonder if there was a way to mitigate that drop. Has anyone had any success?

The camshafts on the 3.7 are the same on the 3.3 and N/A 3.5 engines. From what I recall the trucks, Mustangs, transverse Fords all share the same cams. So there's no "truck" cam or Mustang cam. But I don't have any base reads on the N/A Truck V6s to compare.

Looking at my N/A 3.5 in the Explorer, the Police Interceptor 3.7, and the Mustangs, they all have differences in the sub-4000 RPM IVO/EVC settings.

Building a 87 Ranger with the 3.7 engine. I'm new to tuning and very interested in any cam timing information.

Tuner in Training
    Yes. I'm running the Mustang 3.7 VCT settings in my 2018 Taurus. It kicks in a lot more torque low-end. I don't suppose you would share the Police Interceptor 3.7 tune? I've been looking for one for 3-4 years.

I switched to the Mustang 3.7 tables in my Taurus based on a comparison of the torque curves posted on "canned tuner" dyno charts showing the torque increase in the same spots for the factory tunes for both vehicles.

The car sounds louder on the low end as well. I think the Mustang V6 settings ignore more sound for more torque. Something you don't want in a Taurus. The big question mark for me was always the 3.7 Police Interceptor tune to make sense of it all.
    Last edited by caledbwlch; 10-04-2022 at 02:15 PM.

Tuner in Training
    I found the 2013 Interceptor Utility 3.7 you are likely using. Comparing it to the VCT settings I made based on merging the best of both my stock 2018 Taurus 3.5 NA tune and Mustang 3.7 tune, the IVO settings I came up with are dead on, and there is a very minor difference between mine and the Interceptor on the EVO side. Not sure why, but it gives me high confidence in the settings I came up with by merging the Taurus and Mustang tables and using best of both.

My biggest issue now is there is no way to tune spark because the 2018 Taurus doesn't have access to log Mapped Points.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by caledbwlch View Post
    My biggest issue now is there is no way to tune spark because the 2018 Taurus doesn't have access to log Mapped Points.
    There are ways. You do not need to log mapped point weight to adjust spark.

Advanced Tuner
    It would be great to see some info posted about op angles changes on these 3.7’s I haven’t seen much of any info on them and they and pretty popular

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by caledbwlch View Post
    Yes. I'm running the Mustang 3.7 VCT settings in my 2018 Taurus. It kicks in a lot more torque low-end. I don't suppose you would share the Police Interceptor 3.7 tune? I've been looking for one for 3-4 years.

I switched to the Mustang 3.7 tables in my Taurus based on a comparison of the torque curves posted on "canned tuner" dyno charts showing the torque increase in the same spots for the factory tunes for both vehicles.

The car sounds louder on the low end as well. I think the Mustang V6 settings ignore more sound for more torque. Something you don't want in a Taurus. The big question mark for me was always the 3.7 Police Interceptor tune to make sense of it all.
    No clue what you're seeing in the editor that allowed you more low-end torque. Everything between an NA 3.5 and a 3.7 that I'm comparing is identical besides feed forward tables which are not even enabled, a few phasing limits that are marginally different, and distance tables that are very close in comparison. Nothing here would make a difference like what you're describing.

The IVO and EVC angles are identical. The 3.7 does not have any options regarding overlap. I'd love to know more detail about what it is you did.
    Last edited by AdmiralSparklez; 12-18-2022 at 02:26 PM.