Thread: What parameters control engine braking? 6R80 in 2015 F150 5.0L

Potential Tuner

What parameters control engine braking? 6R80 in 2015 F150 5.0L

I'm looking for ways to enable engine braking in all gears in the 'normal' driving mode (as opposed to tow- or sport- mode). This is an experimental setup, but essentially I would like it to engine-brake as if it were in tow-mode but without the altered shift scheduling. What parameters available, if any, are relevant to enabling/disabling the transmission allowing engine braking (like locking up the coast clutch, whatever it does in tow-mode)?

I looked through all of the parameters in the VCM Editor file for the 2015 F150 5.0L V8 truck I have, but I can't seem to find anything pertinent to engine braking like scheduling locking up a coast clutch or something and I'm not sure what it alters when the tow-mode button is pressed. Am I missing something or is there a way for me to find more information?

Thank you.

Advanced Tuner
    tcc solenoid, cotronls upshift and downshifts

Potential Tuner
    The TCC map (attached here) looks mostly the same between Base mode and Tow-mode, but I know in Tow-mode you get engine braking in all gears and in Base mode you don't. Is there something else I should be looking at for the TCC? The whole section is pretty daunting, so I'm not sure where to look.

TCC_tables.jpg

Possibly in addition to the TCC workings, I think something else controlled in the transmission (like coast clutch or something) is what I'm looking for, but I couldn't see anything like that.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Shnody View Post
    The TCC map (attached here) looks mostly the same between Base mode and Tow-mode, but I know in Tow-mode you get engine braking in all gears and in Base mode you don't. Is there something else I should be looking at for the TCC? The whole section is pretty daunting, so I'm not sure where to look.

TCC_tables.jpg

Possibly in addition to the TCC workings, I think something else controlled in the transmission (like coast clutch or something) is what I'm looking for, but I couldn't see anything like that.
    torque converter lock up, tcc and upshift and downshift, unless you have a Jake brake or drive in manual/tow haul mode. most on here want faster and stronger gear engagement. I would think commanding a faster downshift might give you more engine braking. Tow mode is just a 'strategy' or program for the engine/transmission to follow. It basically changes the shift points (rpm) and the times that it shifts based upon different parameters including brake application, load, timing etc.. I would be worried about over revving the engine trying to achieve engine braking..