Thread: 2009 G8 6l80e TCM will not program, 3 different new tcms have been tried. Out of idea

Tuner in Training

2009 G8 6l80e TCM will not program, 3 different new tcms have been tried. Out of idea

I'm fighting an issue with my g8 and am out of ideas. I'll try to keep it to important bits. The transmission locked into 4th after a pull and threw a P0797 for solenoid c stuck on. While trying to figure out what was going on, I'm pretty sure it roasted all the clutch packs as they were all burnt up and the transmission did not slip at all prior to this. Only thing found wrong was the tcm. No hard part damage, etc.

A new 6l80 from gm was installed, the shop attempted to program it and couldn't. Thought was the tcm was incorrect or something of that nature. So it was pulled out and I built the original transmission.

Purchased a remanned tcm that was pre-programmed. I installed my tcm tune in it and got limp mode with no tutd. Tried multiple different OS with no change. It was giving code u0101 for loss of communication with TCM. But I could see and log TCM outputs. I took it to a local GM dealer to have them attempt programming. They get an error stating some information is missing.

GM dealer installs a brand new TCM, try to flash it with same results and error.

GM tech said the harness and connector are both good.

I installed my oem stock tune to see if ecm tune was somehow causing issues. No change. GM tech is at a loss, I'm at a loss.

Has anyone else had a similar issue and were able to get it resolved. This is making me want to pull out my hair and burn the car to the ground.
    09 G8 GT - Forged L76 6.0 - K1 crank, K1 H-beams, Diamond pistons, BTR PDS 3, BTR .660 kit, stock LSA w/ZL1 re-enforced lid, 2.45 upper, 4" intake w/ LS7 MAF, Kooks 1 7/8" long tubes, Kooks 3" x pipe, Corsa axleback, ID1050x w/ ZR1 rail, CTSV V2 pump, Vaporworx PWM controller, Circle D Lvl 3 6l80 w/ FTI triple disc

Engine assembled by Nickens Brothers, everything else built, assembled and tuned by me.

How are you trying all these different operating systems if it can't be programmed?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    How are you trying all these different operating systems if it can't be programmed?
    The preprogrammed TCM allowed me access to write it but wouldn't shift and stayed in limp mode while giving the u0101 code. I attempted to use the os that came on it using all my time values first. Then I attempted a write entire using my g8 os which did not work at all and wouldn't allow me to see any transmission values. I also attempted to use an early gen 5 Camaro os which also wouldn't work or log.
    09 G8 GT - Forged L76 6.0 - K1 crank, K1 H-beams, Diamond pistons, BTR PDS 3, BTR .660 kit, stock LSA w/ZL1 re-enforced lid, 2.45 upper, 4" intake w/ LS7 MAF, Kooks 1 7/8" long tubes, Kooks 3" x pipe, Corsa axleback, ID1050x w/ ZR1 rail, CTSV V2 pump, Vaporworx PWM controller, Circle D Lvl 3 6l80 w/ FTI triple disc

Engine assembled by Nickens Brothers, everything else built, assembled and tuned by me.

Tuner in Training
    For future reference, this turned out to be an issue with GM software. Sense switching to a new program, they have had a lot of issues with TCM/ECM programming. They had to call their tech line and from my understanding they used the old software to program.

I picked up my G8 today, drove it home with no issues. Transmission is shifting again and no codes showing.

Quote Originally Posted by old4door View Post
    For future reference, this turned out to be an issue with GM software. Sense switching to a new program, they have had a lot of issues with TCM/ECM programming. They had to call their tech line and from my understanding they used the old software to program.

I picked up my G8 today, drove it home with no issues. Transmission is shifting again and no codes showing.
    Used their old software? That's what they told you? GM will ONLY allow you to program modules with SPS. You now can only access SPS through TLC. There are no optional software for programming.

Quote Originally Posted by old4door View Post
    I'm fighting an issue with my g8 and am out of ideas. I'll try to keep it to important bits. The transmission locked into 4th after a pull and threw a P0797 for solenoid c stuck on. While trying to figure out what was going on, I'm pretty sure it roasted all the clutch packs as they were all burnt up and the transmission did not slip at all prior to this. Only thing found wrong was the tcm. No hard part damage, etc.

A new 6l80 from gm was installed, the shop attempted to program it and couldn't. Thought was the tcm was incorrect or something of that nature. So it was pulled out and I built the original transmission.

Purchased a remanned tcm that was pre-programmed. I installed my tcm tune in it and got limp mode with no tutd. Tried multiple different OS with no change. It was giving code u0101 for loss of communication with TCM. But I could see and log TCM outputs. I took it to a local GM dealer to have them attempt programming. They get an error stating some information is missing.

GM dealer installs a brand new TCM, try to flash it with same results and error.

GM tech said the harness and connector are both good.

I installed my oem stock tune to see if ecm tune was somehow causing issues. No change. GM tech is at a loss, I'm at a loss.

Has anyone else had a similar issue and were able to get it resolved. This is making me want to pull out my hair and burn the car to the ground.
    GM rep has told me they stopped support for the 2008 and early G8's, but I think that is just BS until they fix their system. You can not use the SPS2 system to program the TCM module. The TAC representitive must remote into your PC and then flash the TCM with the older SPS system.

What needs to happen is GM needs to add the new TeHCM part number to their data base so it is able to be flashed with the SPS2.

-Greg
    Last edited by radrace19; 03-22-2022 at 01:59 PM.
    2009 Maverick Silver G8 GXP M6 - 586hp
    Engine Mods: TVS 2300 Magnacharger ARH 1 7/8" long tubes with catted x-pipe
    Drivetrain Mods: Ram Dual Disc Clutch
    Suspension Mods: Pedders/Wretched basic drag pack - BMR trailing arms
    Misc Mods: Jamesbiz Catch can - GRRRR8 Heater hose relo kit

TIS2000 still works, as it's offline-based and all its calibrations are stored in a local DB. It may not have the absolute latest releases but at least they can't stop it from working.

TIS2000 still works, as it's offline-based and all its calibrations are stored in a local DB. It may not have the absolute latest releases but at least they can't stop it from working.
    I haven't seen a TIS2000 in..... I don't know maybe 20 years? Took up as much space as a lube tech's tool box.

screenshot.06-02-2019 19.56.20.png

Up next on TLC: Software Hoarders

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by radrace19 View Post
    GM rep has told me they stopped support for the 2008 and early G8's, but I think that is just BS until they fix their system. You can not use the SPS2 system to program the TCM module. The TAC representitive must remote into your PC and then flash the TCM with the older SPS system.

What needs to happen is GM needs to add the new TeHCM part number to their data base so it is able to be flashed with the SPS2.

-Greg
    This is exactly what they told me they had to do. Either way it is successfully programmed and doing what I need it to. Talk about a PITA though.

Potential Tuner
    NOt to bring this up from the dead but I am running into a similiar issue in my 2009 G8GT, I just replaced the stock 6L80 with a new Supermatic 6L80 from GMPP. If what I am reading is correct all I need to do is have the dealership reprogram the TCM in the new trans to my cars VIN? OR do I need to replace the TCM in the new transmission with a TCM for a 2009 G8 GT? Pretty sure they are different controllers and not sure if they are backwards compatible.

Senior Tuner
    screenshot.06-02-2019 19.56.20.png

Up next on TLC: Software Hoarders
    Trying to trigger someones trauma?
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisuperfly View Post
    NOt to bring this up from the dead but I am running into a similiar issue in my 2009 G8GT, I just replaced the stock 6L80 with a new Supermatic 6L80 from GMPP. If what I am reading is correct all I need to do is have the dealership reprogram the TCM in the new trans to my cars VIN? OR do I need to replace the TCM in the new transmission with a TCM for a 2009 G8 GT? Pretty sure they are different controllers and not sure if they are backwards compatible.
    I've had luck write entire a known good TCM file into new trans. I can't vouch or promise it will work for you but others seem to have equal luck.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    Trying to trigger someones trauma?
    lol

I've had luck write entire a known good TCM file into new trans. I can't vouch or promise it will work for you but others seem to have equal luck.
    Things get funky every time I write cal or write entire, I have to reset the fuse for my ECM in the trunk otherwise the car don't shift. Once I do that the car drives but TUTD and sport mode dont work. I have been reading that there are OS compatibility issues between a T43 and the E38 ECM. If it was as simple as loading a compatible OS into the new TCM that would be super duper.

Appreciate the reply!