Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lean cruise

Lean cruise

I was wondering if anyone has changed their computer format to v to enable the lean cruise settings in the pcm on a drive by wire vehicle and if everything was functional after the change such as cruise

That change doesn't do anything.

The original operating system has to support lean cruise as far as I know.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    That change doesn't do anything.

The original operating system has to support lean cruise as far as I know.
    Yes changing the platform code will enable it and you will probably lose cruise control I hear. I haven't done it that way because I can enable it with an OS patch on just about any V8 P01 or P59 OS with Tunercat and you keep the proper platform code and don't lose any vehicle functions. I experimented quite a bit with LC on a stock 04 Silv 4.8L and saw very little if any fuel savings.

Does that mean that TunerCat is likely the only way to make it function without an major hiccups?

I've run into problems if someone changes the platform type on things unrelated to lean cruise though, it does weird background stuff if the OS was a truck but someone changed it to a F-body or GMT-600.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Senior Tuner

TunerPro can enable it as well.

Tuner
    I know us guys with the 411 swapped chevy big blocks would love to have a leaner cruise. 10mpg on the highway at 65mph..... I would totally go for a couple more mpg. Planning a trip from michigan to texas.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 99k2500 View Post
    I know us guys with the 411 swapped chevy big blocks would love to have a leaner cruise. 10mpg on the highway at 65mph..... I would totally go for a couple more mpg. Planning a trip from michigan to texas.
    It works well. I have a 1999 4 door LT Tahoe with a 3" body lift, P305/50R20s, Westin bars and a brush gaurd on it. 8.1 with the 496 Mag HO cam and headers. 4L80E into a GM 9.5 14-bolt with 3.42s. 17-18 mpg at 75 mph.

Tuner
    You wouldn't have any data to put in the lab cruise field you'd be willing to share would ya? Mine is all zeros

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 99k2500 View Post
    You wouldn't have any data to put in the lab cruise field you'd be willing to share would ya? Mine is all zeros
    Will dig some up for you out of one of my tunes. Generally speaking taget is around 16-16.5 air/fuel and it runs 52 degrees of timing.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast4.7 View Post
    Will dig some up for you out of one of my tunes. Generally speaking taget is around 16-16.5 air/fuel and it runs 52 degrees of timing.

I'm sure you are busy.... BUT, curious if you have looked at the data for the EQ ratio subtractor vs RPM vs CYL AIR table? I don't want to start making up stuff without looking at some actual data first. I am new at this and don't really want to burn up anything..... The other two tables are MULT vs ECT and the LEANOUT RATE. Whenever.... Just excited to actually get some MPG out of this pig. THANKS!!!!!

I have a big block swap truck on a P01 I would like to try this on and a v6 truck with a P59 I would like to try this on as well. v6 has cruise cable of course the p01 is DBW If someone has a base tune i can modify to fit both it would be awesome, if not I do have tuner cat as well.

Thanks

Advanced Tuner
    What operating system? I can try and flash a couple PCMs with EFI and read them off with HPT.

12592618 is the 05 v6 one
    12208322 is the 01 8.1l one

Tuner
    12212156 0411 pcm swapped 7.4L

Advanced Tuner
    OK let me do some digging thru my tunes and ill post up what i can find tomorrow or the next day. I have to find my bench harness

Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    Yes changing the platform code will enable it and you will probably lose cruise control I hear. I haven't done it that way because I can enable it with an OS patch on just about any V8 P01 or P59 OS with Tunercat and you keep the proper platform code and don't lose any vehicle functions. I experimented quite a bit with LC on a stock 04 Silv 4.8L and saw very little if any fuel savings.
    Sorry to revive an old thread, but could you point me to a reference where I can patch my tune to enable this?
    I'm running the 2-bar OS and have the "Lean / Fuel-Saving" tab visible in HPT, but from everything I've read, it won't actually enable because the routine is being jumped in binary.
    • 2001 C5 Corvette (625rwhp - Procharger, LS6 heads, Torquer V2 cam)
    • 1991 Volvo 940 - 2JZGTE (600rwhp - PT6466, HKS 272 cams)

Fastest way to cruise lean is go open loop and tune the VE table or open EQ for 16's on a wideband then if you want throw a 1000Ohm variable resistor on the IAT sensor so you can adjust the a/f ratio up and down in realtime once you tuned the IAT adder for timing you can do both from the driver seat while cruising, cuts down on tuning time and helps with variability due to heat soak and lets you squeeze the highest a/f ratio out of the engine despite wandering conditions

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by phuz View Post
    Sorry to revive an old thread, but could you point me to a reference where I can patch my tune to enable this?
    I'm running the 2-bar OS and have the "Lean / Fuel-Saving" tab visible in HPT, but from everything I've read, it won't actually enable because the routine is being jumped in binary.
    Tunercat can't LC patch a custom OS. Only the stock OS. There is really no place to point you if you don't have Tunercat unless you try what some of the other software suggestions but I would imagine they wouldn't work on a custom OS either.

Advanced Tuner
    I have never tried LC on a 2-bar OS, but it does work on the Enchanced MAF OS.