Thread: 97 cavalier 2.2 programming

Potential Tuner

97 cavalier 2.2 programming

Hi,

Hoping someone can help me..

I read the cal out of a 97 cavalier, disabled vats, and wrote it back in...

Now the vehicle starts, however, the coolant temp gauge stays at zero... per scan tool, coolant temp reads fine and the fan kicks in as it should..

I'm also seeing an intermittant oil pressure light and the battery light is stuck on despite charging properly...

Any help would be appriciated!
    Thanks!

Senior Tuner
    Sounds like a problem other than the tune write or an additional problem. I would be surprised if that oil light reports back the ECM and isn't just a switch tied directly to the light.

Potential Tuner
    OP, any chance you could send the stock read from your ecm to me? I am having a time locating a 1997 read.

Potential Tuner
    Wondering if you came up with a solution. I an having the same issue with a 99 cavalier. Originally it said the vats were disabled. I changed a couple of the timing settings. Car started and ran fine. Friend trailered it back home 2.5 hrs away and car would start and shut off. Brought it back. Enabled and disabled vats. Changed all the security settings car starts then cuts off. Check codes and it is giving me a U1016 code

Potential Tuner
    Sorry for long delay getting back here -- no solution yet...

Stock tune read attached..

Also, pretty much every light on the dash is on (some come and go, some are always there)... Battery (verified charging is good), oil, brake, ABS, radiator fluid low (checked, its good), theft protection (on solid -- this is why I wrote to the ECU in the first place)...
    Pretty much everything EXCEPT check engine...
    No codes stored when scanned either...

Engine starts right up -- idles smoothly -- seems to cut, like a rev limiter, at about 2000 RPMs...

One thing I did figure out is that the dash panel IS the BCM AND the SECURITY MODULE...

I am starting to wonder if something bricked out the BCM or something like that...

Thanks for any help you guys can provide!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by aatcman; 01-03-2023 at 03:45 PM.