Thread: ls7 crank relearn

Advanced Tuner

ls7 crank relearn

I have DTC p0315, so I assume I will have to do a crank relearn? I have read up on the procedure but have a question about revving the engine to 4K rpm and the fuel cutting out. Is this a feature or result of the "Relearn" or does this "Fuel cutout" need to be set through the ecm? Also, how will I know if the procedure helped? The car runs fine as it is. Is the relearn necessary?

It is part of the procedure - you don't change anything in the PCM. It will happen if you do the preceeding steps correctly. If done properly, the code will go away.

Yes, I have done it and I suggest that you do it - can't hurt.

Rick
    1970 Chevrolet El Camino LM7 5.3 liter mill and a 4L60E transmission.

Advanced Tuner
    Ok. thanks for the info Rick!

Advanced Tuner
    Please report back Rob on how it went.

Make sure all the rev limiter functions are stock-like... pretty sure I have seen cases where Fuel Cut type was disabled, and the result was that with no fuel cut there was no coast-down and hence the relearn fails.

Advanced Tuner
    i will. it will be a few days as i currently have the car up on jackstands in the basement adding ridetech front suspension. Once i get the coilovers on ill back it outside and do the procedure and report back.

Advanced Tuner
    I'm glad you chimed in blindsquirrel. ill check my set up and see if i have those disabled. i probably do since its a swap vehicle, so, which ones would need to be active?

Honestly instead of trying to pick through a list I would put as much of everything as I could back to stock, and have it still run well enough to complete the relearn. Then revert back to the current file/settings.

Advanced Tuner
    fuel cut.PNG

is this the correct place or do i need to go over to Torque Management as well?

Advanced Tuner
    ok. will do.

Advanced Tuner
    tried the procedure. revs up, cuts out. let it get back to idle then cycle the key. it never says successful. any suggestions?

It doesn't give any feedback about pass-fail in HPT like it does in real scantools.

Did the P0315 go away?

Advanced Tuner
    No. it still shows up when i scan codes. tried a couple different ways. 1. while scanning 2. just used the special controls and not scanning. Tried this procedure several times.
    relearn.PNG

Advanced Tuner
    took a few times but i got it!

Advanced Tuner
    I believe I cycled the ignition too quick. I'm good now. I appreciate your help.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by LS ROB View Post
    I believe I cycled the ignition too quick. I'm good now. I appreciate your help.
    Rob,
    When you say cycled, do you mean you turned the key off completely then back on all the way and waited 15 seconds? I'm still trying to do this on mine.
    Did you get a successful message?

thanks

Advanced Tuner
    No, as blindsquirrel stated above, you will not get a message. i did turn the car off then turned the key on but was not successful until i left it off for about 30 seconds i guess it was. not that i was counting but i was fidgeting with something in the car. However, the next time i read the codes, it was not there. so, success! lol