Thread: Install on Single Board Computers?

Tuner in Training

Install on Single Board Computers?

Hi All,

I was wondering, is it possible to install Track Addict Pro on the various SBCs that are out there these days? I've been looking at some of the RK3588S based boards with decent speed and Android support for building a custom head unit which led to thinking about Track Addict integration. Some of these boards have Gapps as a first tier device (Orange Pi and Radxa among others IIRC).

I did some searching in the forums but not much found. I went to the Googs play store to see what devices in my inventory it would allow to install on and it was pretty locked down - just phones and tablets. Not surprising. I get it, once upon a time I was involved in delivering OTT TV apps via Googs and Apple so understand.

Anyway, are there any semi-supported SBC devices out there? If not, maybe sideloading an APK could be done but to be honest am not sure (forgot?) how that would work with a paid app like TA Pro.

If there is no support for this and HP Tuners would like to experiment with this I'd be keen to be a tester.

Thanks.

Tuner in Training
    I've seen this issue with other apps on Android. It seems like the trick always has been to modify the build.prop on your device to allow what you want/need. Here is a writeup I found on the topic:

Google Play Store servers filter devices and deny incompatible apps by accessing your device details.

If you change those details, you can trick Play Store servers and be able to install any app you want.

To do this properly, you need to root your device first and then install a file manager app that lets you access the root sector. There are several apps that you can do this job.

Then, implement the following steps and you will be able to install any app on your Android.

Go to the settings of your device and tap on Applications. Then, select Market and clear the data.
    Now, open the file manager app you’ve installed and go to the Root Settings. Then, enable both ‘Mount File System’ and ‘Root Explorer’.
    Browse through the root directory and locate the build.prop file.
    Make a backup of that file and proceed to edit it.
    After you click on edit, you’ll find several files, among which you should locate ‘ ‘ro.product.manufacturer’ and ‘ro.product.model’.
    Now, make changes to these files and save the changes and reboot your device.
    If you’ve followed these steps correctly, you will now be able to download and install incompatible apps on your device. Truth be told, this procedure is slightly complicated and a risky one as well.

Make sure that you learn about rooting your device properly. If not, your device may get bricked, which is altogether a new problem you’ll have to face.

Furthermore, be careful and focused while editing the build.prop file. Since its a core system file, you shouldn’t do any mistakes while dealing with it.

This is probably the solution to your problem. However, keep in mind that your SBC probably doesn't have a GPS/Accelerometer or a camera. That means that you would need to get those devices in order for the SBC to work. I don't think that's insurmountable but it's probably not the cheapest route. Obviously you would also need to pull power off your car to provide it to the SBC. Again, not a huge problem but probably something to consider.