Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nag1 to HP70

Tuner in Training

Nag1 to HP70

2009 SRT Challenger. Going to use HPT, but first struggling to find out which wire/location/color on the Nag1 TCM connector is 12v (switched) ignition ? I need to find the 2 CAN wires as well there which I am guessing will be easier to pick out. Any diagrams I have been able to dig up so far are useless.
    Has anyone done this swap to a 2008-2010 ?
    Thanks

I don't believe you'll be able to run a 8HP70 on a NGC4 controller in general. would need to at least get a GPEC2 controller for proper software control. GPEC2 controllers came out in 2011 and are a completely different harness.
    2013 Charger R/T - 1-3/4'' Longtubes, Catless Mids, 180 T-Stat, CAI, 6.4 Manifold Swap, 370whp@5600/411wtq@3950
    Contact [email protected] for Engine Building or Tuning needs!

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the reply. I am using a translator from Sound German and the word is the PCM nor the TCM will be the wiser under normal operation. Torque management will function I am told, which is important. It will be interesting and we'll see what happens.

Tuner in Training
    I found what I was looking for, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Tcat View Post
    I found what I was looking for, thanks.
    keep us informed. I may want to do this in the future to my car.
    2018 Trackhawk PCM/TCM tune by Dusterhoff.
    Flex Fuel, MMX faux 95mm TB, GripTec 2.85, 10% ATI lower, FIC1200, ARH 1 7/8 w/cats, 180 T-stat

13 Chrysler 300S, RAM BGE 412 stroker, cam motion 232/246 619/619 118 +4, ATI 18% OD pulley
    Whipple Gen5 3.0, 2.50 upper pulley, Smooth Boost controller, FIC 1200 inj. Nick W 108mm TB, FORE dual return fuel system, E85, FTI 2800 stall(SRT83380), SHR WAR Viking trans and valve body, Getrag 3.73, 1 7/8 kooks w/hi-flow cats, 3" Magnaflow Cat-back 943rwhp

Tuner in Training
    You would need a good HP90 for that car and they are a little hard to find, used. A known good one that is, so when it looks like you are getting a mind to do this start keeping your eye out in advance. I would want one out of a low mile wreck that hasn't been tuned.

Also, I had to use a 6.1 Jeep starter for the HP70 on the drivers side, but with the 90 I suspect you can use your Nag starter on the passenger side.

You will also need the complete cooler lines setup which is no big deal.. They are larger than the Nags, ...or are as compared to my '09's setup.

I was told to use the later version ('15 and hellcat?) AC suffix flex plate, my understanding is they have been shot peened. 42 bucks, no big deal.

Keep your nose to the ground in advance for a used 8 speed shifter, required, those buggers are not cheap, new.

You can set the drive modes manually with the PCS software, but there is also a way to do it on the fly with a switch if you install 2 more wires in the PCS controller harness plug. That is the way the instructions read...

On the late model buss side of the translator that connects to the HP90, you will have a separate OBD port to log, or flash the HP90 internal TCM using HPT.
    The PCS translator also has a USB that as i stated can be used to set the drive modes (ie: street, track or sport for a 90) and has it's own logging software as well.
    Wondering how i can log the engine and trans at the same time ? I am thinking I could use 1 laptop and log the trans via the USB with the PCS controller software, and the engine with HPT like always using the traditional OBD port....

A real plus is the vehicles have not changed much, and the late model trans mount assembly and shifter parts, cooler lines etc should bolt right up. I will have to make a plate around the shifter that matches the outline of the existing.

Fun stuff....
    Last edited by Joe Tcat; 03-26-2022 at 12:19 PM. Reason: irrelevant stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Tcat View Post
    You would need a good HP90 for that car and they are a little hard to find, used. A known good one that is, so when it looks like you are getting a mind to do this start keeping your eye out in advance. I would want one out of a low mile wreck that hasn't been tuned.

Also, I had to use a 6.1 Jeep starter for the HP70 on the drivers side, but with the 90 I suspect you can use your Nag starter on the passenger side.

You will also need the complete cooler lines setup which is no big deal.. They are larger than the Nags, ...or are as compared to my '09's setup.

I was told to use the later version ('15 and hellcat?) AC suffix flex plate, my understanding is they have been shot peened. 42 bucks, no big deal.

Keep your nose to the ground in advance for a used 8 speed shifter, required, those buggers are not cheap, new.

You can set the drive modes manually with the PCS software, but there is also a way to do it on the fly with a switch if you install 2 more wires in the PCS controller harness plug. That is the way the instructions read...

On the late model buss side of the translator that connects to the HP90, you will have a separate OBD port to log, or flash the HP90 internal TCM using HPT.
    The PCS translator also has a USB that as i stated can be used to set the drive modes (ie: street, track or sport for a 90) and has it's own logging software as well.
    Wondering how i can log the engine and trans at the same time ? I am thinking I could use 1 laptop and log the trans via the USB with the PCS controller software, and the engine with HPT like always using the traditional OBD port....

A real plus is the vehicles have not changed much, and the late model trans mount assembly and shifter parts, cooler lines etc should bolt right up. I will have to make a plate around the shifter that matches the outline of the existing.

Fun stuff....
    Thanks, good info
    2018 Trackhawk PCM/TCM tune by Dusterhoff.
    Flex Fuel, MMX faux 95mm TB, GripTec 2.85, 10% ATI lower, FIC1200, ARH 1 7/8 w/cats, 180 T-stat

13 Chrysler 300S, RAM BGE 412 stroker, cam motion 232/246 619/619 118 +4, ATI 18% OD pulley
    Whipple Gen5 3.0, 2.50 upper pulley, Smooth Boost controller, FIC 1200 inj. Nick W 108mm TB, FORE dual return fuel system, E85, FTI 2800 stall(SRT83380), SHR WAR Viking trans and valve body, Getrag 3.73, 1 7/8 kooks w/hi-flow cats, 3" Magnaflow Cat-back 943rwhp

Tuner in Training
    Which module stores tire height and gear ratio, 08-10 Challenger ? I am wondering out of curiosity if that data may be retained when I complete the swap.
    Thanks

Tuner in Training
    I used Pin 29 coming off the Nag1 TCM to trigger the Sound German PCS when I did my swap. That is on a 2012 however. But they all should be the same.

As far as what stores the gear ratio, I am a bit confused too. With the PCS and the NAG1 TCM fully disconnected, I can still look and change the gear ratio. I presume maybe the ECU or ABS system somehow stores the info as well.

Tuner in Training
    Hi Adam yes pin 29 on mine as well. Did you add the 2 wires to the PCS controller to force the different modes IE:street sport track ? Did you use a HP70 or 90 ? Any advice would be appreciated. I was told a bit ago the BCM keeps the tire data.
    Thanks

Tuner in Training
    I haven't wired any extra wires to enable the other modes. It's simple enough to make the change with a laptop for me not to bother. For everyday driving I find sports and track aggression tables a bit too much. If I find myself at the track I can make the change fast enough.

I did an entire Hellcat motor and HP90 transmission. But on my 2012 Chrysler SRT8 electronics. I initially had some shifting issues. The car would hang in gear and not wanting to shift. Ended up being my engine tune. My demanded throttle numbers were a bit too low for the HP90 TCM. I stared tuning my transmission at first. But decided to leave the TCM stock for now. I basically mimicked the Hellcat throttle setting and all is well now. Overall was a simple swap. When I first saw the kit was like look at all these wires. But majority of them were not used.

Tuner in Training
    That sounds like an interesting project. Good job. Most of my wires are not used either. Do you have functional torque management same as a stock hellcat ?

Tuner in Training
    Yes, I still have some torque management on the ECU side. Transmission tune is fully stock at the moment. I presume the transmission is utilizing torque management it has configured in it's TCM. I have driven the car pretty hard and no sign of any shifting that is out of the ordinary. I have owned a Hellcat in the past. Very familiar with how it shifts. I think I'm like 99% there. Just a few tweaks in shift id 15 and 25 and I should be good. I'm a bit limited in what I can do on the SRT8 ECU and just have to make it up on the HP90 TCM. But the car shift absolutely perfect. Anything I change will be to tweak it to more my liking.

Tuner in Training
    Good job on that.

Potential Tuner
    I too have installed hellcat and 8 speed in an original 5.7 with 5 speed car . I?m using the same transmission controller and having same issue with the shifting. I just purchased hptuners and am very curious of what exactly you changed in your engine tune. Any help would be appreciated. I?m very new to the self tuning aspect.

Tuner
    Hello Murf,

What kind of issues are you having?

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by DodgeBoy_8HP View Post
    Hello Murf,

What kind of issues are you having?

Potential Tuner
    My car is also hanging in gear . I have the sound German psc 8 speed controller. It doesn?t always do it but when it does I just put it in auto shift and control shifts myself. It seems to come out of it after it warms up .

Tuner in Training
    You need to do a little logging on the PCS OBD side. Make sure you log shift ID and TPS signal. Could be a few things. But very possible it's your torque numbers that are off. If you are in Normal mode and driving on semi flat road you should see shift ID 5. Going downhill should be shift ID 0. Uphill shift ID 10. If you are seeing 15 or 20 and not driving very hard you more than likely need to resolve your torque issue. The HP 90 uses aggression counters and if the transmission thinks you are demanding more toque than you truly are, it will throw you into higher shift patterns and hang gear till you either mash the throttle or lift.

For me I lowered my Indicated Torque Aircharge to Torque table up to 3000 rpm and below 30% throttle. I had best luck with removing 20% within those cells.

Tuner in Training
    I want to report back, thanks to Adam K and others I had this 2009 N/A on the road since late October when the new HP70 went into it, and drove it to just before the snow came in mid Dec. After several minor adjustments I am hard pressed to tell this transmission didn't come in the car from the factory. So far anyhow....Amazing. No faults, no ah shits, no errors and nobody left on base. ...Well, I can't lie, only a few 100 ah shits up to about Sept when I decided the 1st ebay transmission came pre-burned up... So I ended up with a core and bought a brand new HP70 which worked out. I didn't want anymore problems with unknowns.

Drives great around town and on the hiway, track mode functions accordingly and with the cruise on in normal mode it goes up and down some pretty good hills just fine and backshifts accordingly.

I think I learned more in the first week I had it on the road than i did about anything in all of 6th grade.

That's the report for now....

EDIT I forgot to mention that I had a 2019 1320 tune loaded into it by the dealer.
    Last edited by Joe Tcat; 12-27-2022 at 06:22 PM.