Thread: Trying to not beat a dead horse regarding Wideband

Trying to not beat a dead horse regarding Wideband

I am having a problem getting the VCM scanner to read my serial input.

First, a little background on my set up

I have a 2007 Suburban with a 6.0. I purchased the MPVI2+ without the Pro features and it is working fine with the VCM scanner.

I also purchased an AEM 30-300 wide band kit and installed it (welded in a new bung above the OEM 02 sensor at an angle per the instructions). The gauge is working fine and I am using Lambda.

I then installed a Digi Edgeport/1 serial to USB adaptor and wired it per the AEM instructions. Blue wire (TX) to pin 2 and the black (ground) wire to pin 5.
    Some folks have made an error by not verifying that the pins are correct so I OHM'd both wires from the input side of the serial connector thru the connector to the output pin to verify blue was pin 2 and black was pin 5.
    I loaded the driver for the Digi port and verified that it is listed with no errors in device manager on my Win 10 Surface Pro 3. I am using VCM scanner version 4.10.7
    I added the channel, by selecting EXTERNAL INPUTs, - SERIAL PORT, AEM then selecting EQ RATIO.

Here is the issue I need help with
    The channel will add to the list and saved it to my channel file. It stays there when I connect to the vehicle ......but when I start scanning, it disappears.

I have searched the forum and tried the many suggestions including rebooting the PC, update drivers, check for update to VCM Scanner and recheck device manager without success logging the serial data in the scanner.

I am a bit lost on this issue and I really did try to research the solution but not making any progress

Thanks for your time and assistance

DETAILS

Protocol Info: Unknown: CAN, 500 kb/s
    ECM: 7E8, CAN
    VIN: 1GNFK16Y97R***** - 2007 Chevrolet Suburban 1500, 6.0 L, V8
    Serial: 86YPLAK16305TSSK
    Programmed State: Unknown
    Calibration IDs: 12614088, 12623196, 12614216, 12614321, 12616087, 12617236, 12605899, 12617238
    Calibration VNs: 00000F82, 00006072, 0000778A, 0000E3D8, 00004C7A, 00001BED, 0000C846, 00000F76
    Basic PIDs: 43
    Trouble Codes:
    Controller Type ID By OS: 0
    Diagnostic Requirements: None
    Scanning Methods:

None: 7EA, CAN
    Serial: BKYNNHK062620042
    Calibration IDs: 24239927, 24242800, 24242796, 24242798
    Calibration VNs: 0000093D, 00005129, 000056CE, 00000B2B
    Basic PIDs: 7
    Trouble Codes:
    Controller Type ID By OS: 0
    Diagnostic Requirements: None
    Scanning Methods:

Advanced Tuner
    I think your best solution, here, is to have your 30-0300 re-FLASHed to 30-0334 firmware, and, use the CAN/OBD2 interface.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.mike View Post
    I think your best solution, here, is to have your 30-0300 re-FLASHed to 30-0334 firmware, and, use the CAN/OBD2 interface.
    I only know of one guy that can do that~~and it is pretty handy

I wish I knew this before I purchased the 30-300. I would have purchased the 334 but that is a newbie for ya LOL
    So, would I be as well off just buying the pro features to use with the scanner and use my 300 as a stand alone monitor when not scannong? I have it installed already.

Thank you for your reply

Quote Originally Posted by R Horn View Post
    I only know of one guy that can do that~~and it is pretty handy
    Who can I contact to see if this is something I want to do

Is it DR. Mike?

Advanced Tuner
    The pro features and ProLink is, overall, the best way to go.

Alternately, I have a new device coming out, next month, that allows the 30-0300 and 30-0310 widebands to connect to the MPVI via the OBD2 connector, like the 30-0334. It, also, has a few upgraded features, as well.

I am trying to target $69.95 as a price point. But, the chip shortage ( and associated price gouging ) is making it difficult.

I have one other thing I can try to get the 300 to log serial data. I am using a Digi serial to USB converter. I can try another brand converter that is known to be supported by HPT with the VCM scanner.

Is the Can/OBD2 interface slower than using the 334 with a serial port?

After some more research, it seems I have three options.

1 Reprogram my 300 as you suggest
    2 Buy a 334 and replace the 300
    4 Buy the prolink Feature set to add to my 6 week old MVPI2+ and connect the 300 to that

Cost is a factor for me. Can you PM the price to re flash the 300 to 334 firmware?

Thank you for your suggestion

I'm able to log via serial with my AEM and this user defined transform . AEM Serial.Transform.xml <--- download and save where you can find it.

Ed made a decent video on creating user defined transforms. Not exactly the same as this, but helpful none the less. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TQdrTMnljI

Try this.
    Once you've added the channel (right click > add channel > external inputs > serial port > AEM > AEM - EQ RATIO).
    Right click on that added channel and select transform. Click the top left envelope icon to open transform. Navigate to where you saved the above user defined transform file, select it, and click open.
    Plug into the vehicle, click connect to vehicle, click the vehicle menu dropdown at the top and select Repoll for supported parameters, then start scanning. I arbitrarily repoll every time I connect. If I don't, the channel will sometimes disappear when I start scanning.
    See if that works for you.

Advanced Tuner
    Is the Can/OBD2 interface slower than using the 334 with a serial port?
    The OBD2 interface is about 10x faster than the serial interface. It, also, has more resolution.
    I Don't charge for re-flashing the 30-0300's to 30-0334 firmware. But, you need to either wire it, yourself, to the IOBD2 port, or, get a 30-0334 replacement cable from AEM.

Serial, kinda sucks, overall ( for all widebands ). But, if that's all you have... it can be made to work.... usually.

Quote Originally Posted by crankz1 View Post
    I'm able to log via serial with my AEM and this user defined transform . AEM Serial.Transform.xml <--- download and save where you can find it.

Ed made a decent video on creating user defined transforms. Not exactly the same as this, but helpful none the less. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TQdrTMnljI

Try this.
    Once you've added the channel (right click > add channel > external inputs > serial port > AEM > AEM - EQ RATIO).
    Right click on that added channel and select transform. Click the top left envelope icon to open transform. Navigate to where you saved the above user defined transform file, select it, and click open.
    Plug into the vehicle, click connect to vehicle, click the vehicle menu dropdown at the top and select Repoll for supported parameters, then start scanning. I arbitrarily repoll every time I connect. If I don't, the channel will sometimes disappear when I start scanning.
    See if that works for you.
    Thanks I will give it a try tonight or tomorrow as soon as I can get back to tuning

The OBD2 interface is about 10x faster than the serial interface. It, also, has more resolution.
    I Don't charge for re-flashing the 30-0300's to 30-0334 firmware. But, you need to either wire it, yourself, to the IOBD2 port, or, get a 30-0334 replacement cable from AEM.

Serial, kinda sucks, overall ( for all widebands ). But, if that's all you have... it can be made to work.... usually.
    Having a hard time finding a replacement cable. If Crankz1's suggestion doesnt work, I will probably go this route or wait for your 310 to be available

Thanks for all your help

Advanced Tuner
    Having a hard time finding a replacement cable. If Crankz1's suggestion doesn't work, I will probably go this route or wait for your 310 to be available
    You would have to call AEM to order a replacement OBD2 cable. I don't think there is a catalog part available. You can make your own, from a pass-thru cable.

The "310" ( 30-0310 ) is not my device. That is the inline version ( no display ) version of the AEM X-series wideband, My device does not, tecnically, have a name, yet.
    It has been referred to, internally, as "OBD2BRICK".

Well I got it working but I'm not sure which thing I did it actually made it work
    I did the transform as directed but it didn't work.
    Then I remembered I had To repoll and it updated something
    Tried again and still didn't work

I changed the sequence that I had been using to connect.. I had been turning the ignition on then connecting to the vehicle.. then I would start it then try to log with no success

I then disconnected and started the vehicle first.once it was running I then connected to the vehicle then started logging. It worked perfectly. I even shut down the scanner and did the sequence again and it still worked. I think the transform file worked but maybe I have been shooting myself in the foot by the way I was connecting

Thanks to everyone for hanging in there with me!

Quote Originally Posted by Homeless View Post
    Well I got it working but I'm not sure which thing I did it actually made it work
    I did the transform as directed but it didn't work.
    Then I remembered I had To repoll and it updated something
    Tried again and still didn't work

I changed the sequence that I had been using to connect.. I had been turning the ignition on then connecting to the vehicle.. then I would start it then try to log with no success

I then disconnected and started the vehicle first.once it was running I then connected to the vehicle then started logging. It worked perfectly. I even shut down the scanner and did the sequence again and it still worked. I think the transform file worked but maybe I have been shooting myself in the foot by the way I was connecting

Thanks to everyone for hanging in there with me!
    Well now it is no longer logging serial data. I am burnt out for now, I will get back on it tomorrow

Tuner in Training
    Ideally since you vehicle speaks CAN from a simplicity standpoint if you wideband can speak can and come in natively then you can then bring it all in on your MPVI2+ without using a prolink interface or serial making the overall interface simpler. You can then still benefit from the pro feature set as then would then allow simple stand alone logging if you wished.

Good Luck and Best Wishes with Your Efforts

the 30-0334 would make the simplest integration and have you running with the least stress, To me a 30-0310 could be a slightly cleaner install but requires custom flash. I don't know if your current device can be flashed to the OBD2 protocol that is up Dr Mikes alley.

I am using a 30-0334 and it makes life super easy with OBD2 CAN on CAN and Dr Mike flash on the 30-0310 allowed me to do it on a cleaner fashion. For me this has been spectacular as the crazy but simple set up allow for a great telemetry/data package on a KTM dirt bike.
    Last edited by R Horn; 03-23-2022 at 09:48 PM.