Thread: Whipple OS

Tuner in Training

Whipple OS

I'm considering tuning my 2020 Mustang w/ Stage 2 Whipple myself. I have a stock read and a read from the Whipple OS. What are the advantages/disadvantages to starting with either? I have the stock file licensed already, but don't mind licensing the Whipple file if that is the better way to go.

Advanced Tuner
    makes no difference when dialed in properly

Advanced Tuner
    The Whipple tune uses an MCT sensor downstream of the intercooler. The data is used to modify the spark command plus it triggers certain protections. The stock tune gets the MCT data from the MAF sensor which is not the actual change temp when supercharged. I?m sure there is a way to break the IAT out of the MAF sensor and use its own accurate input, but it?s a little more complicated to get working if you already have a Whipple read and proper kit. Also, the Whipple tune leaves a LOT to be desired but at least you start with a decent running tune and can fix it one piece at a time. The stock tune will need a lot of work just to get started and running safely before you can really start dialing it in. In short, the Whipple gets you a ?closer? starting point. IMO.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by engineermike View Post
    The Whipple tune uses an MCT sensor downstream of the intercooler. The data is used to modify the spark command plus it triggers certain protections. The stock tune gets the MCT data from the MAF sensor which is not the actual change temp when supercharged. I?m sure there is a way to break the IAT out of the MAF sensor and use its own accurate input, but it?s a little more complicated to get working if you already have a Whipple read and proper kit. Also, the Whipple tune leaves a LOT to be desired but at least you start with a decent running tune and can fix it one piece at a time. The stock tune will need a lot of work just to get started and running safely before you can really start dialing it in. In short, the Whipple gets you a ?closer? starting point. IMO.
    Thanks, that's what I was looking for. I'll go with the Whipple.

there is a harness / cable everyone uses to break the air temp out of the MAF and to a secondary sensor in the Whipple manifold. its a 5 min deal. Dont need Whipple OS for proper temp / timing control.

Tuner in Training
    I would start with whipple OS

They seem to drive nicer with some of the IMRC and cam stuff already done for youin the background

As mentioned earlier - if it was already running the whipple OS also, you would ahve to change your IAT / MCT setup to go back to stock OS