Thread: 6L80E base tune corrections

6L80E base tune corrections

Been dialing in a street tune on my 11 Silverado for the last couple of weeks. Fixing issues, getting things right, so I could get it dialed in on the dyno without problems.

?then I started noticing I was having transmission issues. I have what I can best describe as converter creep, either at more aggressive throttle while driving or vaguely aggressive throttle from a stop. I suppose when I started adding spark and the power level started to improve, that the stock transmission didn?t appreciate that.

I suppose it?s somewhat my fault. The stock trans has almost 170k on it, and I have yet to make any adjustments to it, and I did put a good bit of additional power recently in front of it, going from a stock 5.3 to a cammed 6.0L.

I am planning on addressing this Monday. As of now, I?m looking at either a circle D or GMPP 6L80E with a ZL1 converter.

That being said, for the time being, driven reasonably, it still drives and shifts fine. Since I?ve not made any calibration changes, and everybody seems to remark about how awful the factory settings are, is there any ?must have? changes I should be looking to make, or maybe a better set of settings than those in the factory Silverado calibration?

I suppose I will have to wait until after I take care of the trans to make an appointment for the dyno.

Senior Tuner
    Very very basic changes...
    Up shift pressure 15% everywhere
    Disable TCC lockup gears 1 to 5
    Zero out TCC slip tables
    Reset adapts

Advanced Tuner
    Can reduce shift times (Torque Adder) by 50% , Don't forget under shift pressure tab (Adaptive) oncomming /offgoing presets to increase them , because if you raise your shift pressures (upshift) without doing them your wasting your time bud..You can also tailor the amount of torque management to fine tune your shifts to suit your driving style, it all depends on how hard or soft lol or quick you want it too shift

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimate lsx tuning View Post
    Can reduce shift times (Torque Adder) by 50% , Don't forget under shift pressure tab (Adaptive) oncomming /offgoing presets to increase them , because if you raise your shift pressures (upshift) without doing them your wasting your time bud..You can also tailor the amount of torque management to fine tune your shifts to suit your driving style, it all depends on how hard or soft lol or quick you want it too shift
    How do you know what amount to increase the adaptive oncoming/offgoing presets by when you raise the upshift pressures? For instance if I raise my upshift pressures by 15% what should I raise the adaptive numbers by? 15% as well?

Senior Tuner
    I don't touch them. I just give it more pressure and the adapts do there thing to command the solenoids to achieve the desired shift time at the inertia & torque profile that is set out in the transition and final tables.

Hopefully @ultimate lsx tuning can jump in. Good to have the more experienced guys passing a bit on for us.

Speaking of transition and final tables. I copy special to normal. Then you can go over to the Inertia Factor Profile tables and add 1 or 2 here and there in the shift gear and area you want to make a bit firmer. I generally add 1 to the whole table then add another 0.5 in the light throttle areas.

Here is 2 tunes, the one I run now which is nearly prefect (well, for my tastes anyway. How a trans feels is very subjective to the individual) and the stock version of it so you can see what changes are made. Stock 6L90 with stock 6L90 6 bolt ZL1 converter.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by hjtrbo View Post
    I don't touch them. I just give it more pressure and the adapts do there thing to command the solenoids to achieve the desired shift time at the inertia & torque profile that is set out in the transition and final tables.

Hopefully @ultimate lsx tuning can jump in. Good to have the more experienced guys passing a bit on for us.

Speaking of transition and final tables. I copy special to normal. Then you can go over to the Inertia Factor Profile tables and add 1 or 2 here and there in the shift gear and area you want to make a bit firmer. I generally add 1 to the whole table then add another 0.5 in the light throttle areas.

Here is 2 tunes, the one I run now which is nearly prefect (well, for my tastes anyway. How a trans feels is very subjective to the individual) and the stock version of it so you can see what changes are made. Stock 6L90 with stock 6L90 6 bolt ZL1 converter.
    Thank you for this! Hopefully @ultimate lsx tuning does chime in because I?m real curious about the adapts since he says adjust shift pressures without touching the adapts is pointless.