Thread: C6 ls3 VVE issues. Getting knock at low rpms

Tuner in Training

C6 ls3 VVE issues. Getting knock at low rpms

Hi,

Newbie here. I have 2009 C6 with few bolt ons( CAI, Long tube headers, catted xpipe, Fast 102, ported throttle body, bbe exhaust).
    I was able to get MAF tuned pretty close but having issue with VVE tuning. I am getting knock upto 4 deg even at low rpms. Following the guide from tuning school. Posted question for them but at the same time trying to get help from forum friends here.

Any help will be appreciated.

Tuning Addict
    Haven't looked at the logs or tunes yet - just a fyi in regards to that - sometimes less is more You can post 1 log and latest tune then list the problems and build. Seems to make responses go quicker.

Anyway - what kind of gas are you running? Are you sure you don't have anything rattling? I've seen suspension bottom out cause a couple of degrees to get pulled.

You can de-tune your knock sensors so they aren't so sensitive - Actually common practice, so you don't have to worry about it. Just increase them 25% for starters and make initial something like 180 to 200. This is if it's not actually knocking.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuning Addict
    Just checked the tune and the last log. Your air models are looking good. Some of the higher rpm stuff is off especially in decel areas, but for the most part it's really really close to being spot on. As for your timing models, you might want to smooth things some more.

I assume you don't have it going into PE that quickly for fuel economy or fuel tuning - your using a wideband for that, so unlikely on that one...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

Tuner in Training
    Thank you for the quick reply. I did check for rattling. That was my suspicion too. But ruled out rattling. Did try to desensitize the knock sensors by changing the multipliers but didnt touch the Initial level. May be I will bump it to 180. My concern is when I am shifting from 2nd onwards, I am seeing knock while fine tuning ve table, even at the 1600 rpm, Accel Pedal 29.3% and Throttle at 30.5%. And its been consistent. Because of consistency also i am taking rattling out of equation.
    Right now for VE table tuning delaying PE, I do want PE to come early but will play with it after VE table is dialed in.
    Other issue I am seeing is, as I log the VE Error, paste back in VVE table, calculate coefficients I see completely opposite results. e.g. some cells that were showing +9% error now show -9%. Trying to understand behavior of calculating coefficients and why it messes some cells completely.
    But at this time I am really concerned about the knock and trying to see whether I should remove some timing.

Also can you shade some light on the smoothening of timing model please? Thats going to be my next target. Thank you once again for the replies and help.

Tuning Addict
    With the VE model being that close, I would hand edit the big areas that are out, smooth to corresponding zones and then calculate. It shouldn't change it that much if you do it that way. You were basically out 1 to 2 percent in the last log you posted - I wouldn't even touch those areas. Then there were the 21 percent areas - those I would alter, blend and rework...

As for the timing - if it's consistent and doesn't go away with the knock sensor settings change, then yes - pull timing and then smooth the table out. Sometimes just having smooth transitions can fix a lot of knock problems.

~Greg Huggins~

Tuner in Training
    Thank you once again. I will definitely try changing sensor settings and see if knock goes away if not will try to pull some timing and smooth out the table. Also I will try manually editing some of the cells that are way off and capture the log.
    I will post the log once weather gets better and take car out for a spin.