Thread: Questions before buying

Potential Tuner

Questions before buying

I am looking to get into tuning. I would like to tune my fathers 1999 6-speed TA that we just installed a cam, FAST intake, and LT's/ORY over the winter. Untuned it starts and idles good and is drive-able, with the wideband and logging I think I could figure out how to make sure it is running at safe AFR values, and then look at the timing. I am also not happy with how my 2001 H/C/I 6-speed car drives after being professionally tuned, so I figure getting the tuner and some experience for myself will help me dial both cars in. I have been researching but still am fuzzy on a few points. With that I have a handful of questions I hope some of you could share your knowledge on.

I am looking at purchasing a used "original" MPVI pro that is supposed to have 8 GM credits on it. I would also intend on purchasing a AEM 30-0300 wideband.

1. How can I verify that the credits are on there and are truly for GM vehicles before the purchase? The seller is reluctant to share the serial number on it.
    2. How can I verify what firmware version the MPVI has? I understand that if you connect a MPVI with 120 firmware into the VCM Editor version 4.2ish or newer that it will force it to update to 121 firmware.
    3. Is there a safe & legal way to get an older 4.0ish version of VCM Editor?
    4. Does the flash drive that comes with the MPVI have the VCM program on it that would be period specific (i.e. not the latest 4.10 version that is available from the HPT website)?
    5. If one would ever decide to upgrade to the MPVI2+ or whatever they come out with next, does HPT typically transfer unused credits from your old device?

The MPVI pro I found has 8 credits on it and is $500. Another option I see is one online store that still seems to have the standard MPVI2 for $420. It seems like many prefer the old MPVI pros, and it sure seems easier to connect a wideband to. With a MPVI2 or 2+ I would need to figure a way to connect the wideband analog out (or use serial which I have read is slower and "worthless for tuning." The MPVI2+ pro with 0 credits going for $650 seems a bit much for what I want to do. I have read some horror stories from people that HPT is forcing obsolesce for the MPVI, and don't want to buy something that I won't be able to use.

Any other obvious considerations I may be missing?

Appreciate any help as I am very new to this!

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    you can't, thats the problem with purchasing used if they are unwilling to send you the serial number...if its too good to be true it probably is.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    you can't, thats the problem with purchasing used if they are unwilling to send you the serial number...if its too good to be true it probably is.
    Ok, if I can get the serial number from him can I call or email you to verify the credits and software/firmware that it is running, and that it isn't stolen? As I would understand there is no risk to the seller so long as he only provides the serial # and not the access key, is this correct?

Also can you clarify if there are obsolescence issues with buying a MPVI pro? Would unused credits transfer if I later upgraded to a MPVI2+?

Thanks!

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Z-maro View Post
    Ok, if I can get the serial number from him can I call or email you to verify the credits and software/firmware that it is running, and that it isn't stolen? As I would understand there is no risk to the seller so long as he only provides the serial # and not the access key, is this correct?

Also can you clarify if there are obsolescence issues with buying a MPVI pro? Would unused credits transfer if I later upgraded to a MPVI2+?

Thanks!
    We can tell you if there are any negative flags on the account ie stolen. We currently offer an upgrade path from MPVI pro to MPVI2 with pro feature set at a discount, we have not set a date of obsolescence regarding the MPVI1.

Beyond that there is typically very little we can tell you other than how many credits the device originally came with. Considering the MPVI2+ costs $399 and covers about 1000 additional applications there aren't alot of reasons to buy a used MPVI1 unless it has a bunch of year/model licenses that you think you'll be able to take advantage of.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    We can tell you if there are any negative flags on the account ie stolen. We currently offer an upgrade path from MPVI pro to MPVI2 with pro feature set at a discount, we have not set a date of obsolescence regarding the MPVI1.

Beyond that there is typically very little we can tell you other than how many credits the device originally came with. Considering the MPVI2+ costs $399 and covers about 1000 additional applications there aren't alot of reasons to buy a used MPVI1 unless it has a bunch of year/model licenses that you think you'll be able to take advantage of.
    Submitted the SN# under request 43580. Will you be able to tell what firmware is on it?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Z-maro View Post
    Submitted the SN# under request 43580. Will you be able to tell what firmware is on it?
    Not without being able to gather an infolog

Z-Maro, your question could not have been timed any better for me. I am in the same boat - looking to start this education and looking for a used unit. I never really thought about V1 fading away - valid point. There HAS to be units 'out there' that were bought and given up on. I really don't think this tuning stuff is for everyone but I'm gonna give it a shot. There's SO MUCH to learn! I've never even touched one so I'm a Super Rookie. I have some friends that are pretty good with it though (GM Engineers and Calibrators).
    Can you (or Bill) give me a list of things I absolutely NEED to know from a seller so I don't get a surprise? Are these things 'transferable'? Can I be locked out if his credentials can't be wiped? Is there a right way to buy a used one? Is there a price range I should look for? What should I ask about regarding credits? I just want to dot the I's type of thing and would appreciate the wisdom.

BTW - First post, LSA Supercharging a '03 Z06. I sent the PCM & cam, injector, mod data to a well known shop for a mail order 'base tune'. Hopefully it'll start and not fall on it's face once I get to that point. I also have a G8 GXP that I would like to 'wake up' a bit without modding it much.
    Thanks in advance!
    Thanks - looking forward to the road ahead.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by JumboShrimp View Post
    Z-Maro, your question could not have been timed any better for me. I am in the same boat - looking to start this education and looking for a used unit. I never really thought about V1 fading away - valid point. There HAS to be units 'out there' that were bought and given up on. I really don't think this tuning stuff is for everyone but I'm gonna give it a shot. There's SO MUCH to learn! I've never even touched one so I'm a Super Rookie. I have some friends that are pretty good with it though (GM Engineers and Calibrators).
    Can you (or Bill) give me a list of things I absolutely NEED to know from a seller so I don't get a surprise? Are these things 'transferable'? Can I be locked out if his credentials can't be wiped? Is there a right way to buy a used one? Is there a price range I should look for? What should I ask about regarding credits? I just want to dot the I's type of thing and would appreciate the wisdom.

BTW - First post, LSA Supercharging a '03 Z06. I sent the PCM & cam, injector, mod data to a well known shop for a mail order 'base tune'. Hopefully it'll start and not fall on it's face once I get to that point. I also have a G8 GXP that I would like to 'wake up' a bit without modding it much.
    Thanks in advance!
    Thanks - looking forward to the road ahead.
    IMO bare minimum would be the serial number of the device, that way at least we can check to see if there are any negative flags on the account.

VCM Suite infolog would be ideal since it will give you the serial number, credit usage, etc.

Sorry Bill, Just saw this. I have to set this up so I get email notifications of replies.
    I bought the unit. Sent the SN to Support@ and got an answer from Pete. It checked out and I got it registered in my Name / Account so I'm all GTG. I have a specific question on the Secondary AIR system - Should I post it here or write to Support? I am VERY much a Noob!!