Thread: Invalid Checksum still after SPS programming

Invalid Checksum still after SPS programming

I am trying to read a 2002 Suburban 5.3L PCM for a swap. I get an Invalid Checksum message when trying to read it. Using a bench harness and 13.5V supply. Both high and low speed - same thing.

I reprogrammed the PCM successfully with GM SPS and a MDI through Techline Connect but I am still getting the Invalid Checksum message when trying to read with HPT . I tried both the Reprogram and the Replace and reprogram options without any difference.

is the PCM toast or is there anything else I can try?

Can you read data with a scan tool? Will it communicate at all?

Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    Can you read data with a scan tool? Will it communicate at all?
    I did not try to scan it but the MDI had no problems writing a new file to it.

But a very strange thing - I decided to do something I never would do and did a write entire with a 2002 Tahoe file I had and everything went just fine. Did not read at all, just connected and hit write entire with the Tahoe file. Prettu sure I would birck it, but no.

Now I am able to read and write as usual. I do have unlimited licenses for 2002 Trucks so both were within that license slot.

Looking thru stuff I do not think that SPS actually programmed the PCM at all so that is probably why I still had the checksum message.

I am in Europe so GM only offers a 2hr subscription - not limited to VIN and not like in the US 1yr on specific VIN.
    Due to this I also reprogrammed a E92 from a 2014 LV3 V6 engine to a 2016 Corvette LT1 calibration. (because I had time within the 2hrs). Everything looked great and write controller seemed successful.
    When I read the E92 with HPT afterwards the calibration was still the LV3 calibration.....very strange.

I realize this board is HPT but maybe somebody have used SPS thru Techline Connect and have experience with this? Any insight would be helpful.

Email techline and please share what they say about it

Quote Originally Posted by thunderbolt View Post
    Looking thru stuff I do not think that SPS actually programmed the PCM at all so that is probably why I still had the checksum message.

I am in Europe so GM only offers a 2hr subscription - not limited to VIN and not like in the US 1yr on specific VIN.
    Due to this I also reprogrammed a E92 from a 2014 LV3 V6 engine to a 2016 Corvette LT1 calibration. (because I had time within the 2hrs). Everything looked great and write controller seemed successful.
    When I read the E92 with HPT afterwards the calibration was still the LV3 calibration.....very strange.

I realize this board is HPT but maybe somebody have used SPS thru Techline Connect and have experience with this? Any insight would be helpful.
    You can only write the new style ECMs with a single VIN. I'm pretty sure this is the problem you had. If you want to use SPS it needs to be a new E92 ECM.

-Greg
    2009 Maverick Silver G8 GXP M6 - 586hp
    Engine Mods: TVS 2300 Magnacharger ARH 1 7/8" long tubes with catted x-pipe
    Drivetrain Mods: Ram Dual Disc Clutch
    Suspension Mods: Pedders/Wretched basic drag pack - BMR trailing arms
    Misc Mods: Jamesbiz Catch can - GRRRR8 Heater hose relo kit