Thread: Anyone know what controls timing at idle?

Advanced Tuner

Anyone know what controls timing at idle?

I searched but all I see is GM stuff.
    All the charts say my idle should be 15 to 21 deg at idle, but it likes to idle at 0... Very frustrating as summer temps are close.
    The only way I've been able to get above idle is to tinker with the "Catalyst Heating" spark offset, which oem is -15. But I knew that it responded to that chart because I zeroed it out and it worked, so I tried making it 15 and it works! Well, kinda, meaning it only works when it feels like it, and idle surges as it does. I assume it changes when it thinks the cat needs to be hotter?
    Surely there must be a way to make it idle at 15-20 period. What is telling it to be at 0?

I also noticed under Torque Management/General there is a Spark Retard section (pix). I disabled #1 just to see, but nothing happens. Wth is this for? Does it really belong under torque management? Why would vacuum cause retard for torque purposes?

Vac retard.jpg
    '16 E550 Coupe RWD - C207.373 / M278.922 / MED17.7.3 / 722.909

Please post your file
    Xstages Motorsport

Tuning inquiries:

ECU, TCU, CPC Online Tuning
    Whatsapp: +971503383340
    Email: [email protected]
    Insta: @xstages.motorsport
    www.xstages.com

Advanced Tuner

What happens if you revert your file back to stock? does it behave the same way?
    Xstages Motorsport

Tuning inquiries:

www.xstages.com

Advanced Tuner
    Yes, 0 deg. Is that not normal? Seems to me it would be normal for a car programmed for emissions?
    It'll jump up instantly with rpm, so even 50 rpm above idle will give 13deg, 1000rpm = ~20, 1300 ~27. Raising idle will do nothing, it has to be me on the gas pedal.
    So my assumption is something I can't see is saying idle is to be 0, then the slightest throttle movement will transition into the timing charts I can see.
    I assumed the Min Timing chart was it, because it goes negative, but it didn't do squat. Only the Catalyst chart works but is not ideal with it moving around all the time.

I discovered the Max Desired Load chart under Airflow/General is BS. I was wasting time on that stupid thing like it did something, but apparently it's just another limiter. I set all the values to 300 and it runs better. One day, with any luck, I'll have it narrowed down to one chart that actually does something and all the others pushed well out of the way. I'm just nervous about it shutting down on me like before you hooked me up. If it does that on certain parts of the freeway, like most of my commute, it would be really bad and pretty much guaranteed to cause an accident. I don't suppose there is a way to make not do that? Like under "Torque Model/Monitoring" I see a Torque Error section with things that look promising. Any thoughts?

Advanced Tuner
    Here's a visual with an example that sounds like what shuts me down?

Torque BS.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by chevota View Post
    Yes, 0 deg. Is that not normal? Seems to me it would be normal for a car programmed for emissions?
    It'll jump up instantly with rpm, so even 50 rpm above idle will give 13deg, 1000rpm = ~20, 1300 ~27. Raising idle will do nothing, it has to be me on the gas pedal.
    So my assumption is something I can't see is saying idle is to be 0, then the slightest throttle movement will transition into the timing charts I can see.
    I assumed the Min Timing chart was it, because it goes negative, but it didn't do squat. Only the Catalyst chart works but is not ideal with it moving around all the time.

I discovered the Max Desired Load chart under Airflow/General is BS. I was wasting time on that stupid thing like it did something, but apparently it's just another limiter. I set all the values to 300 and it runs better. One day, with any luck, I'll have it narrowed down to one chart that actually does something and all the others pushed well out of the way. I'm just nervous about it shutting down on me like before you hooked me up. If it does that on certain parts of the freeway, like most of my commute, it would be really bad and pretty much guaranteed to cause an accident. I don't suppose there is a way to make not do that? Like under "Torque Model/Monitoring" I see a Torque Error section with things that look promising. Any thoughts?
    dont play too much with optimum torque and you'll be safe especially in cruising area.

As for the idle timing I dont recall on the 500's but on the 63's it would jump between 0 - 12
    Xstages Motorsport

Tuning inquiries:

www.xstages.com

Advanced Tuner
    So I guess I'll be using the Catalytic timing

I noticed OE Tune raised Optimum just a bit at the highest loads, but I don't know what that actually does. I've used both that and the oem settings and didn't notice a difference.
    I read that for others cars, like GM, the Optimum should be set to 100%. I'm pretty sure that would be a fail but maybe I'll try it one day just to see.

Advanced Tuner
    Oh! I bought a Snow stage 2 inj system. After much research it "seems" the 2 is what I wanted. Still couldn't find everything I wanted to know until I had it in hand. Just seems bizarre they would sell something that expensive with so little info about it. So who knows, the 2.5 may be better but I'm not going to buy it just to find out.

Next is where to put the injector. There is a weird plastic fitting on the intake between the two intake ports (pix) that seems like a good place. I can move it like it should just be a 1/4 turn and come out but I turned hard enough that I'm worried it'll break and nothing. I don't suppose you/anyone knows what it is and if it comes out?

I also have another/weaker pump to spray the radiator with just water. Tie that into the meth circuit to kick On automatically at boost, plus an override button somewhere for manual cooling. The spray will hopefully cool the super hot intake pipes a bit too.
    Was also thinking of making the intercooler pump be On all the time but not 100% speed to wear it out. Maybe 25% speed or so to cool the intake air and water during normal driving, then 100% speed when the water spray is On.

Dealie.jpg