Thread: turning codes off

Potential Tuner

turning codes off

Hi all, I am somewhat new to the tuning world, but not a newbie. First time posting here.
    We have a 1968 C10 in the shop with a 2005 GMC 6.0L and 4L80E swap, the PCM is P59 ECM Gen III.
    After fixing some gauge issues, unrelated to the tuning, we now discovered that the CE light is on. scanner showed 22 stored codes, O2, Evap, gauge senders etc. Cleared codes and 7 reappeared on startup. P0102, P0463, P0522, P0650, P0443, P0449, P0452. The builder didn't install EVAP canister. I went into the Engine Diag, selected the codes and set them to DO NOT REPORT. I have done this before on other swaps and did not have issues, however this truck will NOT run after doing this. I reloaded the original tune and starts up and runs fine. I went back and selected P0522 Engine Oil Pressure Sensor Circuit Low thinking that it shouldn't have an effect on engine running, loaded the file and no run. The engine will briefly fire up but immediately stall. load stock tune and runs fine. Tried the same with P0463 the Fuel Level Sensor and same result, no run.
    Starting to get frustrated, any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Post before & after files.

Potential Tuner
    what files are you wanting to see? also, I'm not sure how to do that.
    The only change was code changed from "Mil on Second Error" to "No Error Reported"

You would not believe the number of times someone says 'but I only changed that one thing...' and then when the tune files are posted it turns out it got a custom OS applied wrong and has a bunch of blank tables. Not saying that's what it is, but without some files to look at it sure can't be ruled out.

Post the file that makes it run. Post the file that makes it not run.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 04GTOls1 View Post
    what files are you wanting to see? also, I'm not sure how to do that.
    The only change was code changed from "Mil on Second Error" to "No Error Reported"
    Change the P0102 DTC back to MIL on first Error.

Potential Tuner
    [QUOTE=blindsquirrel;682536]You would not believe the number of times someone says 'but I only changed that one thing...' and then when the tune files are posted it turns out it got a custom OS applied wrong and has a bunch of blank tables. Not saying that's what it is, but without some files to look at it sure can't be ruled out.

Post the file that makes it run. Post the file that makes it not run.

137225_68C10original.hpt This is the original tune and it runs on this tune.

137225_68C10codesoff.hpt This is the tune that I initially turned all of the codes to No Error Reported.

Potential Tuner
    Good afternoon Gurus. First time poster here, and of course I am asking for help. My wife's 2004 Silverado, 5.3 started having evap issues, long story short, I decided to try and kill the evap codes. It worked flawlessly, no more CEL, but now I am unable to pass the stupid state inspection because evap not ready. I am going to post the original file, then the changes that I have subsequently tried in order to get the evap to show ready. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

staci original.hpt

staci evap delete.hpt

staci evap delete3.hpt

Note, it runs fine on all of these.

Thank you guys/gals so much.

James

Why not just fix the evap problem? Evap can be a pain in the ass but it's not magic from a parallel universe humans can't access.

Quote Originally Posted by jwbryce2 View Post
    Good afternoon Gurus. First time poster here, and of course I am asking for help. My wife's 2004 Silverado, 5.3 started having evap issues, long story short, I decided to try and kill the evap codes. It worked flawlessly, no more CEL, but now I am unable to pass the stupid state inspection because evap not ready. I am going to post the original file, then the changes that I have subsequently tried in order to get the evap to show ready. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

staci original.hpt

staci evap delete.hpt

staci evap delete3.hpt

Note, it runs fine on all of these.

Thank you guys/gals so much.

James
    What Codes?
    Some codes require multiply "events" to occur before they will go ready, no way around it that I'm aware of.
    I had an EGR on a 1997 Lumina that was supposed to take 50 driving miles, after a start up below 80 ECT... That SOB took almost 100 miles before it reset...

Anyway if you post the codes someone might be able to point you in the right direction.
    Son in Law had some sort of EVAP on a 2010 Colorado that we were able to reset with a "Service Bay Learn Procedure"...
    Last edited by dhoagland; 06-26-2022 at 11:03 PM.
    2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible L99 Bone Stock for now
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

If the codes that enable the diagnostic to run are disabled the diagnostic will never run so the readiness state for that system will forever stay at 'not ready', no matter the number of drive cycles or conditions met.

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    If the codes that enable the diagnostic to run are disabled the diagnostic will never run so the readiness state for that system will forever stay at 'not ready', no matter the number of drive cycles or conditions met.
    Understood
    Only way is fix root cause and re enable codes
    2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible L99 Bone Stock for now
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Potential Tuner
    Gotcha. I thought I had re-enabled all the codes relative. But still not seeing the ready status, nor am I seeing the codes. I will revisit this weekend. Thanks for the heads up. I posted the before and after adjustments.