Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mustang GT Intake cams on 2012 5.0 F150

Mustang GT Intake cams on 2012 5.0 F150

Hello,

I'm about to retune Ford F150 with Mustang GT intake cams. and i'm looking for need some information.

The car has the following mod: GT intake manifold , Custom header , Y pipe , Catback, Big JLT and soon will install GT CAMS.
    I tried to search around but i could not find information about tuning F150 with GT cams.

I have some question:
    *Can i just retune the borderline spark tables at high load & RPM or do i need to tune the whole table ?
    *Do i need to copy and post all borderline spark tables from Mustang GT to F150 borderline spark?
    *Do i keep everything and copy only the intake cams tables?

i appropriate any help

Thank you in advance.

there most be people already done this swap.

Is there any link for a thread like my subject in this forum ?

Tuning Addict
    Your doing intake and exhaust cams from a gt mustang on a F150 right? Not just the intake cams??? Firing order is different on the two motors, so... Lots of things have to be changed to correlate...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    Your doing intake and exhaust cams from a gt mustang on a F150 right? Not just the intake cams??? Firing order is different on the two motors, so... Lots of things have to be changed to correlate...
    the owner only bought intake cams , as i read alot of F150 swap intake cams only.
    I don't think the firing order is different, i will check mustang file to make sure.

Advanced Tuner
    I believe firing order is only different on gen2.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mattlinke View Post
    I believe firing order is only different on gen2.
    The firing order for 1990-2014 Ford modular 4.6L modular V8 engines is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8.
    The firing order for 2011-2019 Ford "Coyot" 5.0L engines is 1-5-4-8-6-3-7-2.
    The firing order for Ford Mustang GT350 5.2L "Voodoo" V8 with flatplane crankshaft is 1-5-4-8-3-7-2-6.

Advanced Tuner
    I believe 15 and up coyote truck motor firing order is the old 13726548

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mstang_man View Post
    The firing order for 1990-2014 Ford modular 4.6L modular V8 engines is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8.
    The firing order for Ford Mustang GT350 5.2L "Voodoo" V8 with flatplane crankshaft is 1-5-4-8-3-7-2-6.
    I should have been more specific. Gen 2 Truck is different than Gen 2 Mustang. I dont know the firing order I just know its different. Gen 1 is the same from truck to Mustang. Gen 3 I believe is also the same but i haven't done a truck and never bothered to look.

That's grt, so i don't need to change the firing order.
    but what do i need to change or copy from a file of Mustang GT 11 - 14 ?

Advanced Tuner
    Im about to do similar this summer with L&M cams. My plan is to just put their data in (similar to copying a Mustang VCT data) and then tune spark if it feels weak in any areas and can benefit from any spark change. Its tuned on e85, but if it were running 93 i would pull any timing out that was showing consistent knock activity if applicable.

The vehicle was already tuned like it was a mustang (excluding the cam angles). its in an m3 swapped with a gen 1 truck motor.

Im about to do similar this summer with L&M cams. My plan is to just put their data in (similar to copying a Mustang VCT data) and then tune spark if it feels weak in any areas and can benefit from any spark change. Its tuned on e85, but if it were running 93 i would pull any timing out that was showing consistent knock activity if applicable.

The vehicle was already tuned like it was a mustang (excluding the cam angles). its in an m3 swapped with a gen 1 truck motor.

because i do street tuning i did not tune the cam angels, i just tuned the car like it was a mustang, because both has the same options and same tuning method.
    I actually was planning to do like what you said about pulling timing out if there was a knock activity. but i thought i need to copy some data from mustang gt cam tables as a base map.

by the way such a nice swap. why you didn?t go with Mustang motor ? or did you go with truck motor to a better torque?
    Last edited by Mr.AT; 04-13-2022 at 05:50 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.AT View Post
    That's grt, so i don't need to change the firing order.
    but what do i need to change or copy from a file of Mustang GT 11 - 14 ?

At a minimum
    Spark BNK & MBT
    Torque Calculations
    Torque Limit
    OP intake Valve opening
    OP exhaust Valve closing

At a minimum
    Spark BNK & MBT
    Torque Calculations
    Torque Limit
    OP intake Valve opening
    OP exhaust Valve closing
    Thank you all for the answers. I appreciate it.
    I will make a another file with changing this tables
    Spark BNK & MBT
    Torque Calculations
    Torque Limit
    OP intake Valve opening
    OP exhaust Valve closing

and i will test both.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.AT View Post
    because i do street tuning i did not tune the cam angels, i just tuned the car like it was a mustang, because both has the same options and same tuning method.
    I actually was planning to do like what you said about pulling timing out if there was a knock activity. but i thought i need to copy some data from mustang gt cam tables as a base map.

by the way such a nice swap. why you didn?t go with Mustang motor ? or did you go with truck motor to a better torque?
    It?s a buddy?s car that he got cheap. Truck motor came in it already swapped. We suspected it was hurt when he got it and he finally blew it up last year. It?s going to end up with a gen 3 12:1 bottom end, l&m cams and probably a 2018 manifold initially and maybe a blower if we can figure on fitting it physically in the engine bay. Should be a lot of fun; just need to put the motor together eventually and put it back in lol.

Tuner in Training
    I don?t know what kind of damage you are referring to when you said blew up but these engines are pretty cheap to build. Like around $1,500 for a all new shortblock

Advanced Tuner
    He got a gen3 shortblock from ford. For I think around that price.

The truck motor that was in it the #7 piston was chewed up. Looked like it started out as a ringland issue and once we sorted out the tune it just didn?t last.

Whoever tuned it before the maf curve was a bit off, and the ol ?+5 global? spark was the only thing done to the timing tables. Also because of the SUPER tight fit the driver side exhaust (which was just a modified stock header) had the #7 and #8 primaries done smaller than stock and really tight radius to clear the steering shaft. We upsized those and made the bends a bit better to hopefully keep that flow up, I think that was really what hurt it. Hopefully it fits back in lol.

Tuner in Training
    Yeah those motors only run about $1800 $1900 plus core for a brand new short block

Tuner in Training
    I think you have to repin the wiring harness for the injectors and coil l&m says something almost the same

Advanced Tuner
    Only with Gen2 Trucks. Gen 1 is the same. I of course will double check that before we try to start it lol

Advanced Tuner
    Only with Gen2 Trucks. Gen 1 is the same. I of course will double check that before we try to start it lol
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu85Sy6QH2E
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80bWDB9rG7w