Thread: MPVI Pro Connection Issue - Help?

Tuner in Training

MPVI Pro Connection Issue - Help?

The past two days I've began having issues with my MPVI Pro interface. I've had my MPVI Pro for a few months and had no issues until now. I am getting an "interface was not found or is not responding" error after the unit is used for a short period of time. Both the editor and scanner will connect for a short period of time and then disconnect. The longer the unit it used, the quicker it will disconnect (5-10 seconds).

I've verified power, tried using the unit on two different cars (01 F-body and 01 Z06) and used a 2nd set of cables from a friend that also has HP Tuners. Nothing has resolved this issue. My friends HP Tuners works with no issue on both cars. I'm begining to think that my MPVI Pro interface is the problem.

Anyone else had similiar issues with the MPVI Pro or have any thoughts on something else for me to try?
    01 WS6 with a little whistle...
    07 TBSS
    98 GTP intercooled & pullied

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    you say you tried a "2nd set of cables" are you talking USB cable or obd2 cable? I've had my unit since their initial release about 9 months ago & havent had an issue FWIW
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    I used a different USB and OBDII cable from another MPVI Pro interface to check if the cables might be the problem. Still had the same issue.
    07 TBSS

I had problems with a generic USB cable. Replaced it and the problems went away. Not sure if it will help in your situation but Ken told me that the best cable is a Belkin cable. They tested a lot of them.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the info. I received a Belkin USB cable with my MPVI Pro.
    07 TBSS

Advanced Tuner
    I just got mine a few days ago and it already does this....????

I did like a 45 min log, disconnected, 15 minutes later I tried to connect Editor & Scanner and neither would connect. I think editor said connection not found and scanner said license not found or vice versa Im not sure.

I kindof moved the USB cord around and check all the connections and kept trying, after about 5 minutes it worked again.

It did this again the next time I tried to log.

Last time it did not, but it was a short 15 minute log....

Take it FWIW...I hope it doesnt continue to do this because I dont want to be buying cables, etc...and I've never had problems with the USB ports...I tried both USB ports on my laptop, it didnt make a difference.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    how old is your laptop? the usb ports on computers arent meant to be pulled around alot & its possible to start having issues with them.

Advanced Tuner
    Practically new, but I also have know them to have problems before, just not on this one.....maybe it's just this laptop's USB port's time to go lol... either that or it just got hot from running so long...that and bad ports on the laptop are the only two thngs I can imagine happening??

I have a spare laptop in case

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I would say try your spare laptop to see if you run into connection issues there...if not it very well could be the other laptops usb ports themselves.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by foff667
    I would say try your spare laptop to see if you run into connection issues there...if not it very well could be the other laptops usb ports themselves.
    Good idea I didnt even think of that doh bwahaha Im sleep deprived. Im surprise my "backspace" button isnt worn into a "U" shape

If the problem persists today then I will try that & report my findings...