Thread: E38 or E67 L31 tune

Advanced Tuner

E38 or E67 L31 tune

Was looking at a Kodiak Marine engine recently. In the pictures it has a newer LS style controller, drive by wire throttle body and a crab style distributor. Anybody have a stock file for one?

Won't do you much good, as the parts to make them work together are engine hard parts, not tune parts. i.e. 58x reluctor, etc.

Advanced Tuner
    Its not a 58x reluctor to my knowledge because if it were GM would have a part number for one. But a 58x is easy. Already have a 24x one. Given it still has a distributor with plug wires attached I am guessing it still has a 4x crank and 1x cam.

Swapping to a P59 on a L31 was a matter of finding the correct starting tune, FWIW.
    Last edited by Fast4.7; 04-07-2022 at 10:03 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    My idea is a 6L90E behind by L31 based 383 using a DBW 4 bolt marine upper plenum. 6L90E from a Duramax van should bolt right up.
    Last edited by Fast4.7; 04-07-2022 at 10:07 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    I have found a part number also for an adapter that threads into the SBC block drain and adapts the flat response knock sensors to a SBC.

The Kodiak engine also runs closed loop fueling and has cats with rear 02s behind them.
    Last edited by Fast4.7; 04-07-2022 at 10:01 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    My second thought is that it could be an E67 controller loaded with MEFI5 coding like the COPO 427 used. Which is why I was asking if anyone has tried to read one.

E38/E67 absolutely positively flat out will not work with anything other than a 58x crank signal. E40 looks similar to E67 (3 connectors) but uses 24x (only!) and the old Gen3 style real VE table. P01/P59 can be changed to read either 4x or 24x via the Crank Low Res switch under System options, and are the only GM ECM/PCM that have configurable crank wheel settings. Everything else is locked into either 24x only or 58x only.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    E38/E67 absolutely positively flat out will not work with anything other than a 58x crank signal. E40 looks similar to E67 (3 connectors) but uses 24x (only!) and the old Gen3 style real VE table. P01/P59 can be changed to read either 4x or 24x via the Crank Low Res switch under System options, and are the only GM ECM/PCM that have configurable crank wheel settings. Everything else is locked into either 24x only or 58x only.
    Did some more digging. Seems GM did and perhaps still does offer the E67 with 4x crank compatibility for Marine/Industrial 350 applications. The L31 still had a 4x.

Advanced Tuner
    It is a MEFI5 or MEFI6 though. E38/E67 controller with different coding.

Gen3 PCMs will already do everything needed for this right out of the box.

This is all-around just dumb. I quit.

No, I lied. One last thing.

I seriously doubt that a from-scratch operating system made for a marine/industrial application will just by happenstance still have the bits of code left behind to handle comms with a T43 TCM. This whole thing is a pipe dream.

Advanced Tuner
    No, I lied. One last thing.

I seriously doubt that a from-scratch operating system made for a marine/industrial application will just by happenstance still have the bits of code left behind to handle comms with a T43 TCM. This whole thing is a pipe dream.
    I already deduced the same thing when I found out it was a MEFI6.

Advanced Tuner
    Gen3 PCMs will already do everything needed for this right out of the box.

This is all-around just dumb. I quit.
    New to me that a P59 will handle a T43 TCM. Might just go for a 6spd Allison instead.

Its a fullsize van up to tow a travel trailer. I want the double overdrive and deeper first gear of a 6spd behind my 383. 4L85E currently in the van works well as it is, just want more.

Advanced Tuner
    There may also be stand-alone TCUs out there to drive the transmission...

Quote Originally Posted by Fast4.7 View Post
    Was looking at a Kodiak Marine engine recently. In the pictures it has a newer LS style controller, drive by wire throttle body and a crab style distributor. Anybody have a stock file for one?
    Most of those marine engines use the MEFI5 ECM's I believe.

-Greg
    2009 Maverick Silver G8 GXP M6 - 586hp
    Engine Mods: TVS 2300 Magnacharger ARH 1 7/8" long tubes with catted x-pipe
    Drivetrain Mods: Ram Dual Disc Clutch
    Suspension Mods: Pedders/Wretched basic drag pack - BMR trailing arms
    Misc Mods: Jamesbiz Catch can - GRRRR8 Heater hose relo kit