Thread: Headers Without Tune

Potential Tuner

Question Headers Without Tune

Right now I am staring at two boxes full of SW long tubes, high flow cats, x-pipe, and dual 3" pipes for a 2019 Silverado 6.2. I have been waiting since early January for these. In February I ordered a MPVI2 and in March I went for the unlock service on the E90 and found them out of stock. I know, supply issues, PCB's are the bottle neck everywhere. Hopefully it cures itself and we can move on to doing things right.

In the mean time, I am seriously itching to install the exhaust regardless of tune. I have searched high and low and have not seen concise information on the pitfalls involved specific to my scenario. I have seen posted results ranging from rough idle, stalling, and surging, to just CEL, to no CEL and is running okay, but not as good as with a tune.

Does anyone here have specific experience with this? What are the severe risks?

Senior Tuner
    You can still set cat codes with LTs and aftermarket cats so you would be stuck with permanent codes if that should happen. Active codes would keep remote start from working while while present. I guess you could just keep clearing them if having permanent codes wouldn't be an issue if you don't have to worry about emission testing where you live. You might not ever clear permanent codes though. I would imagine it would run OK.

Potential Tuner
    Good point on the remote start, I had forgotten about it. PDTC's are not an issue an issue for me, except I do not see the point in driving around in open loop. If that is still a thing on these Gen V's.

I think I will wait until I get an unlocked E90. At that point I will install and see what happens with running and DTC's. Thanks for the input.

Senior Tuner
    Why do you think it would be in open loop? And permanent codes will not disable remote start. Only active codes.

Advanced Tuner
    The problem with the permentant codes is it can mess up the EVAP test. So when they plug in to the OBD11 port for inspection. It flags your computer because the EVAP test hasn't finished. Even though there is no check engine light on. This happens on my truck because I did exactly what your talking about. To this day I have to throw another tune in on my truck where all the codes are turned off for it to pass the EVAP test. But my motor wouldn't know it had a hole in it if it blew with everything I have turned off. So i just flash my normal tune back in it as soon as I leave inpection.