Thread: TDI DSG Tuning

TDI DSG Tuning

I was just wondering how well the DSGs are supported by HPT by now. Is everything there that's needed?

I'm working on tuning a 2013 TDI and have run into torque limiters that I believe are in the transmission. I wasn't sure if I wanted to just spend the money and try the trans tuning with HPT or just plug onto the trans and read/write the .bin.

I've also attached the file. There is something limiting torque to around 380-390nm. I'd appreciate if someone could look at this file and tell me if it could be the trans that's limiting it.

2013 TDI DSG Read.hpt

Potential Tuner
    There is quite a few tables that can be limiting torque for this specific variant.
    I would take a look at Torque Management - General - Overheat (It's set to 350 based on Trans Oil Temp)

I could tell you more if I had a comprehensive log detailing more information.

Being as this is a TDI and the engine isn't supported, there aren't many parameters to log. I've attached a log all available parameters, but idk how useful it will be. It is showing a max of 350nm torque.
    Stock DSG log with engine tuning.hpl

Potential Tuner
    Torque Management - General - Max Torque Limits
    Make alterations to (Protection) and any relevant Mode you are In.
    Table.PNG

Thanks! I don't have the car any more because I ran out of time before the owner needed it back. I told him to let me know if he wants more power and have me tune the dsg.

Have you found that HP Tuners generally has all the parameters needed to properly tune the DSG?

Potential Tuner
    Everything that is necessary for a DSG tune is available with HP Tuners. Compared to other solutions It's the least confusing and user-friendly.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliuslukos View Post
    Everything that is necessary for a DSG tune is available with HP Tuners. Compared to other solutions It's the least confusing and user-friendly.
    This is confidence inspiring, I have tons of experience with LSx platforms but zero with VAG products.
    I have a couple what are likely stupid questions.
    1) How does one go about licensing their TDI vehicle to complete the DSG tune?
    2) Is flashing the tune back in the same process as any other vehicle that has engine controller support?
    68 Charger R/T - #'s matching 440/auto car, 499/727/3.91.
    71 SWB C10 - S488/LQ4/billet 4L80E.
    80 Scout Traveler - L92/6L80E, SOA/35's

Quote Originally Posted by Jon01 View Post
    This is confidence inspiring, I have tons of experience with LSx platforms but zero with VAG products.
    I have a couple what are likely stupid questions.
    1) How does one go about licensing their TDI vehicle to complete the DSG tune?
    2) Is flashing the tune back in the same process as any other vehicle that has engine controller support?
    Everything works the same as any other vehicle, but you just read/write transmission only. If you read via the obd port, it will be a virtual read. If you connect directly to the transmission, you may be able to take an actual read, but I've never tried this with HPT.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by jr2185 View Post
    Everything works the same as any other vehicle, but you just read/write transmission only. If you read via the obd port, it will be a virtual read. If you connect directly to the transmission, you may be able to take an actual read, but I've never tried this with HPT.
    Thanks for the clarification - much appreciated!
    68 Charger R/T - #'s matching 440/auto car, 499/727/3.91.
    71 SWB C10 - S488/LQ4/billet 4L80E.
    80 Scout Traveler - L92/6L80E, SOA/35's