Thread: Improving Rendering speed

Improving Rendering speed

I have Just upgraded my desktop from an old Xeon based system to a 6th Generation I7 it has 16GB of DDR4, and a dedicated Nvidia GeForce GT 730 video card. CPU usage is about 50% and low usage of Disk and video card. I use VideoPad to add Titles and trim my video input file before using RaceRender to add Data. VideoPad renders at least 10 times as fast as the old system, but RaceRender shows no improvement. I am rendering at 1920X1080 at 59.94 FPS with quality set to Better. These video settings are the same as the ones I used to output from VideoPad.

Can anyone help me to improve rendering performance without changing video quality?

Advanced Tuner
    A number of us have had similar issues where RaceRender doesn't seem to improve rendering times on new hardware as well as similar video editing programs: https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...l-cpu-capacity In that thread, Weston's advice was not to confuse CPU usage with useful work which is a valid point. If two programs render a video in the same amount of time, but one program only uses half the CPU and the other uses the entire CPU, then the second is definitely less efficient. However, you could also argue that there is some other bottleneck that is a limiting factor that could be improved to reduce the time even further (given that none of the hardware seems particularly stressed).

I would highly recommend making sure that any videos are stored on a Solid State Drive to ensure that data can be read as quickly as possible by the program (you definitely don't want to be reading from a flash drive or memory card as those will be much slower). RaceRender does seem to use the GPU for some form of encoding, but it seems to rely more heavily on the CPU (at least more so than other video editing programs). I'd recommend closing any other programs and not multitasking while rendering.

You're likely already doing those things; so other than that...we just need to hope some optimizations come in a future release. My own videos tend to be only about a minute long; so my rendering times are generally pretty short. Others render full track sessions which I'm sure take much longer.

Thanks for the update. All files are on an SSD. CPU is running at 50% At 59.94 FPS It is taking 58 minutes for a 12 minute file. At 30 FPS it takes about 35 minutes. I haven't gone back to my old Xeon desktop to do a comparison. Disk activity and video card activity are both low.

Quote Originally Posted by HoboBob View Post
    A number of us have had similar issues where RaceRender doesn't seem to improve rendering times on new hardware as well as similar video editing programs: https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...l-cpu-capacity In that thread, Weston's advice was not to confuse CPU usage with useful work which is a valid point. If two programs render a video in the same amount of time, but one program only uses half the CPU and the other uses the entire CPU, then the second is definitely less efficient. However, you could also argue that there is some other bottleneck that is a limiting factor that could be improved to reduce the time even further (given that none of the hardware seems particularly stressed).

I would highly recommend making sure that any videos are stored on a Solid State Drive to ensure that data can be read as quickly as possible by the program (you definitely don't want to be reading from a flash drive or memory card as those will be much slower). RaceRender does seem to use the GPU for some form of encoding, but it seems to rely more heavily on the CPU (at least more so than other video editing programs). I'd recommend closing any other programs and not multitasking while rendering.

You're likely already doing those things; so other than that...we just need to hope some optimizations come in a future release. My own videos tend to be only about a minute long; so my rendering times are generally pretty short. Others render full track sessions which I'm sure take much longer.

Screenshots

Here are screenshots form both the XEON and 6th Gen I7

XEON Attachment 119279
    XEON Attachment 119280
    I7 Attachment 119281
    I7 Attachment 119282

The XEON Takes about twice as long as the I7, so I guess I shouldn't be totally disappointed But 4hrs vs 2hrs for a 36 minute file seems a little crazy. What is weird is that the XEON setup shows a faster bit rate, but is actually slower.

If anyone sees anything I can do without compromising video quality, please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Thanks for the update. All files are on an SSD. CPU is running at 50% At 59.94 FPS It is taking 58 minutes for a 12 minute file. At 30 FPS it takes about 35 minutes. I haven't gone back to my old Xeon desktop to do a comparison. Disk activity and video card activity are both low.

Banned
    This is an issue that's been the same for several years. Even with a high end PC, solid state drive etc, there doesn`t appear to be any bottleneck hardware wise, nothing is close to 100% use, CPU, HDD, Graphics etc.

I just think it`s not optimised for modern CPU`s.