Thread: E38, 7875 Turbo, FIC 85lb, BTR 2, Speed Density, Idle surging terribly, need help!

Tuner in Training

E38, 7875 Turbo, FIC 85lb, BTR 2, Speed Density, Idle surging terribly, need help!

Installed an ON3 turbo kit, Fuel Injector Clinic 85lb injectors (data is correct), GM 3 bar map, MAF is failed, I have added Base Airflow,Set idle at 750, adjusted the VVE table multiple times and it's pretty close and still not getting the results needed. Followed TTS book, only issue is they do not give much help in the book beyond that. I have tuned several cars/trucks NA and with power adders and haven't ran into this issue on SD that couldn't be worked out. Any advice or help is greatly appreciated. I am missing something!!!

Senior Tuner
    See if this tune helps. Be good to add engine torque PID into your list as well.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    I left the shop for the night. I will try it and report back. Thank you!

Is the vehicle equipped with a return style fuel system , boost referenced regulator?

Senior Tuner
    This needs a lot more VVE tuning.

The idle area is all over the place. The log shows big rich/ lean swings.

See attached image.Capture.PNG
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Senior Tuner

Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post

Yes, you are correct Alvin. If i can get the idle stabilized it will all fall in place. If I turn MAF back on there is absolutely no issues with idle, cruise, I even have WOT dialed in pretty close. But, off the dyno and driving it on the street it closes the throttle and goes into limp mode. Airflow correlation if i recall correctly. At 14psi I still had some MAF left so I was hoping I could run it MAF but I was also wanting to dial in VVE as well. I have tuned procharged, whipple stuff, this is first turbo set up and wanted to get this figured out. So what I think is the issue is Idle>Airflow>Effective area settings. Is there a guideline as to correct the "fail" areas since the MAF is failed for Speed density?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by nicks1031 View Post
    Is the vehicle equipped with a return style fuel system , boost referenced regulator?
    Yes, Twin 320's in the tank, Boost Ref regulator with return back to the tank

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by hjtrbo View Post
    See if this tune helps. Be good to add engine torque PID into your list as well.
    Thanks for the suggestion, loaded it up and same result.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post

I spent 2 hours on the dyno cleaning it up the best I could with the oscillating idle swings, smoothed the table out as well to see if that would help any to get idle stabilized to get good data to make good corrections with no help. Same result.

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    injectors wrong
    SD setup incorrect

check your PM
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 69gearhead View Post
    I spent 2 hours on the dyno cleaning it up the best I could with the oscillating idle swings, smoothed the table out as well to see if that would help any to get idle stabilized to get good data to make good corrections with no help. Same result.
    If the VVE table still looks like that your likely not going to have good results. Start by smoothing it in that area and then take your time with a wideband to dial it in.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com