Thread: Can LGW TT be setup to only use one MAF?

Potential Tuner

Can LGW TT be setup to only use one MAF?

Hello guys, a little back ground on my project. I swapped in a LGW TT/8l90 combo from a 17 ct6 into an 18 zr2. I'm using the stock airbox and the maf in that location is stable. The other maf is in the intake pipe just after air box so they are both reading the same airflow but #2 is unstable causing bucking. I can double the values for #1 maf and zero #2, or turn dtc's off, and it will run but the turbo bypasses will alternate from 0-100% randomly causing it to surge. I've tried tuning it sd but it doesn't respond or make as much power with out the mafs. Any ideas?

Also can't find an os that i can use to get fuel guage working as ct6 used 2 sending units.

Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    Cool project! Did the engine and transmission drop right in, or did you need to do a bunch of fab work?

You will need to find a way to use both MAFs the way the LGW is set up as the ECM software uses each MAF input to balance the turbo load from bank to bank.

For the fuel gage, you'll need to find someone that can reconfigure the fuel system segment to match your setup. You MIGHT be able to do a segment swap from the ZR2 into the LGW calibration, but you'd have to ensure the addresses and tables are in the same place in the ZR2 and LGW OS.

Good luck! Keep us posted!

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the response. I figured I would have make both mafs work somehow. Do you know of a place I could contact about getting fuel system reconfigured? HP tuners wouldn't allow me to do a segment swap.

No, it didn't just drop in and required more fab work than most would want to mess with. I had already bought the engine, because it was in the lg family, so I figured a lot would transfer over... I was wrong. LGW has front axel support running thru mid portion of oil pan which had to be cut off and a little tig welding done. I built the lower portion of the oil pan to have a sump behind front axel. I had to install a 4" lift to allow the front of engine oil pan to clear front axel, which also meant new wheels and tires. LGW was wider than I anticipated, so had to modify front strut supports to clear turbos. Then there was trying to get wiring to match up. Had to modify the stock motor mount hangers on the frame and fab new engine motor mounts as they had to be about 3x thinner than stock. Had modify transmission support, find a 4w4 trans rear housing and shaft, fab a transfer case adapter, modify driveshafts, changed gearing to 4.11's, fab new exhaust.... needless to say, it was a 6 month project. To say it was a tight fit is an understatement. If I had it to do over, I would probably go V8. There is just something about the twin turbo engine that appeals to me though. I had the Mallet supercharger on the stock v6 and blew a head gasket. I had modified the tune so it was my fault. I wanted a lower compression engine built for boost, and that's why I went with the LGW.

Advanced Tuner
    Wow, that's crazy. Hat's off to you for pulling it off. I personally love the idea of keeping it V6 and going twin turbo!

Out of curiosity, did you look at whether an LF3 or LF4 (3.6L TT, previous generation like the LFX) would have fit any easier?

Sorry, not sure what to recommend for the segment swap.

Potential Tuner
    I looked at the other two engines, but they were more than I wanted to spend. Most were almost twice the price of the LGW. As to whether or not they might be a better fit, I'm not sure. If I get something figured out on the fuel gauge, I'll post back my findings.