Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help, please, for a total beginner?

Tuner in Training

Help, please, for a total beginner?

Last year I received a 2000 Silverado that the previous owner had messed with. Supposedly, a BTR Stage 3 cam, long tube headers, 4.10 rear and built trans. His tune will barely run. I would like to get it to run with these items and then go from there. Is anyone willing to share a tune that will run this things so that I can at the very least, learn to tweak myself? So far, from what I can tell, everything is disabled except VE table. No EGR, No cats,, No 02 sensors, no maf sensor, etc. I would really appreciate a tune that could at least get this to run somewhat normally until I learn.

EDIT: Oh, it's a 5.3L
    TIA,
    Greg T
    Last edited by 2k-Sierra; 04-18-2022 at 08:50 AM.

Post the current tune and a log to get more help.
    Even if it won't run people can give you advice on what you should be logging and scanner setup help
    2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible L99 Bone Stock for now
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Tuner in Training
    Here is what the tune was when I read it as soon as I got it. It is PIG fat and takes about 4 gallons to drive about 8 miles. Fresh oil is black already.

I'm not looking for fancy, high performance, hot rod tune. Just want it to run well. (C)2K-sierra-speedo-diff-11-6-2021.hpt

I have no logs.

First change the oil…. And get the fuel right next… is the setup open header??

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Tuner in Training
    Oil is clean. Has full exhaust with long tubes. Getting the fuel right. Yeah, thats the issue.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 2k-Sierra View Post
    Oil is clean. Has full exhaust with long tubes. Getting the fuel right. Yeah, thats the issue.
    I think he meant fueling AFR, not the fuel type. Anyway, have you looked in the Tune Repository for a stock tune to start off fresh? Or maybe someone here has one?

What injectors are in it?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by PREDATR View Post
    What injectors are in it?
    I don't know. He didn't tell me, but he said "they'd been opened up a little". whatever that means.

Quote Originally Posted by marksrig View Post
    I think he meant fueling AFR, not the fuel type. Anyway, have you looked in the Tune Repository for a stock tune to start off fresh? Or maybe someone here has one?

I know. AFR is is the problem. That's why its pig rich. I am totally lost at this. What I really need to do at this point is lean the entire spectrum out about 10% or much more and start over. The problem is I am a "tune virgin" and have no idea how to do that. I've been reading, studying, playing with the software, etc. I kinda know what things are, but not what to do with them. I think, from what I've read, I'd be happy to disable everything and run on the VE table if I can get a ton of the fuel out.

I could start with a stock tune, maybe it would run. I'm still far too green to know what to do with it.

Senior Tuner
    You can't even begin to fix the tune without knowing for sure what injectors are in it. Start with a part number on the injectors but if they have been modified that won't do much good. So you can take them out and have them flow tested or replace them with ones that have known good data support.

Advanced Tuner
    You can waste a whole bunch of time fighting this.
    If it were me, Id buy new injectors with good data and a Wideband. put them in and start over with a fresh tune.

Ive tuned several 5.3s with that cam setup and it doesnt take a whole lot to get a decent idle.

Tuner in Training
    Well, if you have a tune that would run, would you want to sell one? Not picky if the cam sounds nasty or not. Just want to safely and reliably drive the truck.

Tuner in Training
    appreciate the time and effort you guys have shared in this thread. But after reading through some of this stuff I realize that I have bitten off much more than I can chew. I am one of the most meticulous small engine builders and Tuners around and have built and fine-tuned some mighty good running engines in my day. But, there Comes A Time when people must admit they're just too old to learn to improve the wheel. So, it looks as though I pissed away an awful lot of money on things I am incapable of learning how to use. Looks like I should have stuck with what I know best...... carburetors.

i wouldn't say you are incapable of learing how to use it.

It all starts with the correct injector data really. as the guys have said i would load a base tune in, input the correct injector data and start from there.

Not having correct injector data in there is the first part of everything falling apart. it's like trying to tune a carby and not knowing what jets you have in there.
    Speed Cost Money - How Fast Do You Want To Go?

You just need injectors big enough to support your power that come with known specs. Redrilled or decapped injectors are not anything you want to deal with the first time tuning. Or anytime, really, if you care about your mental health.

They don't have to be $1000/set aftermarket, there are plenty of stock GM injectors you can use. 33lb, 36lb, 50lb... all with stock tune files available that you can take accurate injector data from.

Tuner in Training
    So I should toss in a stock set of injectors, a stock tune, and work from there. But, the 02 sensors are gone, also. Is thete a way to make it run this way?

Have the 02s been turned off in the tune or completely removed? can they be refitted and plugged into the harness? i don't get why people remove them.

Stock injectors and stock tune would be a good start to get it running well but not sure they will support the mods. best bet is a good set of injectors with data into a stock tune file and go from there. as blindsquirrel said there are plenty of stock GM injectors with data you could use for cheap.
    Speed Cost Money - How Fast Do You Want To Go?

Tuner in Training
    Well, with the headers there are no cats, so the 02 data would be useless, right? I could disable them, yes. I'm not even sure about the pigtails for them.

you don't need narrowbands but you do need at least 1 wideband and a non-leaking exhaust system long enough to use that wideband

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 2k-Sierra View Post
    Well, with the headers there are no cats, so the 02 data would be useless, right? I could disable them, yes. I'm not even sure about the pigtails for them.
    There are pre cat O2s and after cat O2s. With no cats you don't need after cat O2s but I would run pre cat O2s if it were me. You can run without any O2s but then it would be in open loop full time and for someone that is just learning this shit your life will be easier running closed loop with O2s. Now get ready for a wall of words.