Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: supercharged lt1 with ls1 computer maf question

Advanced Tuner
    I used the knock sensors for a 96 LT1

Tuner
    60's are in and its running. wideband is showing 11.7 -12.6. sd error for ve histogram still shows negative. I have reduced it 2 times and it still shows 11 - 12. Of course its idling better with iac at 70 to 80 and timing around 20 - 23 degrees. Im not sure but I dont think the table is supposed to be that low at this point. eq ratio is set to 1.00. and stoic set to 14.63(what it was to start with never changed it). headers are 650-700 degrees also. I have had some cams with low numbers on the ve table before but not lower than mid 50's. If it takes more again it will be mid 40's. just doesnt seem correct. Am i missing another variable now that i have changed to sd?

Tuner
    forgot to drop these on the last post.

Fuel minimum must be at .028 still…

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Tuner

running but failing

so im back to working on this lt1-ls1 conversion. I have gotten it drivable. I am working on the ve table and am having a hard time figuring out what is going on. no matter what i changed on the ve table it kept showing eq err at -16 or more. But also as i moved up in rpm those numbers got closer to 0 and the car went lean. so i started over with a new ve table. I created one from scratch with 35 as the 15/400 block and 125 as the 215/8000. once running the eq err got closer and numbers were staying higher as i moved up the rpm range. i have added 30% to the ve table over what it was originally and have gotten it to run up to 4300. but at 4300 it pops and goes way lean. i have tried adding more ve to it but this is as far as it will run under load.

first tune and log is before the full change of the ve
    ve tune 1.hptso running throttle movements.hpl
    second one here
    popped_lean at 4000.hplve tune 2 total change tryout added 15per more at 145 up.hpt

i am trying to figure out what is going on now. I just had a thought that if all these other parts were not feeding it properly that the fuel pump probably isnt either. no where for a pressure gauge on this rail that they have on here though. hopefully though i am running the right direction on the ve table.
    Last edited by CranknChrome; 06-28-2022 at 11:34 AM.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by CranknChrome View Post
    so im back to working on this lt1-ls1 conversion. I have gotten it drivable. I am working on the ve table and am having a hard time figuring out what is going on. no matter what i changed on the ve table it kept showing eq err at -16 or more. But also as i moved up in rpm those numbers got closer to 0 and the car went lean. so i started over with a new ve table. I created one from scratch with 35 as the 15/400 block and 125 as the 215/8000. once running the eq err got closer and numbers were staying higher as i moved up the rpm range. i have added 30% to the ve table over what it was originally and have gotten it to run up to 4300. but at 4300 it pops and goes way lean. i have tried adding more ve to it but this is as far as it will run under load.

first tune and log is before the full change of the ve
    ve tune 1.hptso running throttle movements.hpl
    second one here
    popped_lean at 4000.hplve tune 2 total change tryout added 15per more at 145 up.hpt

i am trying to figure out what is going on now. I just had a thought that if all these other parts were not feeding it properly that the fuel pump probably isnt either. no where for a pressure gauge on this rail that they have on here though. hopefully though i am running the right direction on the ve table.
    I'm sure someone mentioned this before... but your transient mins haven't been zeroed out. This caps the minimum amount the injector will fire as map bounces around.
    Some people will try to tweak this number.. I've never ran into issues just zeroing it.

NOTE this will change your tune by quite a bit.. Prepare to take a step backwards. but you should be able to get where you need to go after.

transient mins removed.hpt
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuner
    I had dropped it from .048 to .028 when i changed to the deka 60's.

Quote Originally Posted by CranknChrome View Post
    I had dropped it from .048 to .028 when i changed to the deka 60's.
    .028 is factory value… needs lower

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Tuner
    10-4 Ben

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    Heads up..

I've never seen knock sensors work on torque head or EFIconnection swaps. They always report nothing even with audible knock.

From college I know knock sensors are tuned to pickup on the ringing in the combustion chamber which depends on bore size and the speed of sound in the mixture and some other things. Perhaps not being able to tune knock sensors for a particular frequency is what causes it not to work.
    My knock sensors worked perfectly with EFI Connection but they were dual L31 Van knock sensors on a 24x L31 van.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast4.7 View Post
    My knock sensors worked perfectly with EFI Connection but they were dual L31 Van knock sensors on a 24x L31 van.
    Thats interesting.. thanks!
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Advanced Tuner
    Thats interesting.. thanks!
    No problem, IIRC the older OBD1 knock sensors have the wrong resistance values for the 0411. Need to use L31 Vortec which may have also been OBD2 LT1 sensors. I am afraid to say for sure on the OBD2 LT1 stuff because I am not sure what GM used there.

Advanced Tuner
    Heads up..

I've never seen knock sensors work on torque head or EFIconnection swaps. They always report nothing even with audible knock.

From college I know knock sensors are tuned to pickup on the ringing in the combustion chamber which depends on bore size and the speed of sound in the mixture and some other things. Perhaps not being able to tune knock sensors for a particular frequency is what causes it not to work.
    I pick up knock with my torqhead set up.
    My issue was the scanner was reading average knock when I should have been looking at max knock.
    Could be other calibration reasons but that was my experience.

Tuner

pulled this one back out

Pulled this back out of the back of the shop. Its running in sd. I have cut out 20% more in the ve around idle. or at least what the histogram is showing for idle. wide band and the commanded are not getting any closer. what am i missing?

lamda not matching commanded.hpl
    cut 20 out to see.hpt

Senior Tuner
    Some of the PID's aren't making sense. At 36.33 secs into the datalog, it shows 113kPa on the MAP sensor reading at 2760 rpm and 17% TPS.
    At 1:03.43 into the datalog, It shows 40.9 kPa on the MAP at 2741 rpm and 29% TPS. That doesn't make sense. I suspect that there is just too many PID's on the datalog and is just slowing it down. You might delete any of the unnecessary PID's and while you're at it, make sure that the sampling rate of the PID's are consistent.

Advanced Tuner
    Your continuously getting the same wideband reading and or histogram readings you're historian or wideband isnt working correctly. That or I'm reading somthing wrong

I'm going to assume you have cam in the 220/230s range. If so your tune is close to what mine is and mine runs perfectly fine.
    1997 30th SS. Torqhead 24x, TFS heads, 223/235 cam, 4l80e, S60 D1SC 14psi

Tuner
    242/236 and .502/.520 114 lsa

Kevin has been helping me figure it out, we changed boost enrichment, eq ratio tables, injector tables. Then the idle a/f ratio leaned out where it was closer to where it should be. Got it to actually make a decent pass and got to fill some cells on the afr err yesterday and was making progress until today when it decided to go full lean at idle on bank 2. Which bank 2 is where the wideband is located. So I know something has messed up on that side now. Motor had to cool down before I started pulling plugs and bank 2 o2 sensor so ill get back on it in the morning. Posting the last run and tune file for it. It idled funny at the beginning then straightened out and so I ran it. At the end it started to bounce around on the B2S1. Also had just filed with 10gals of 93. Fuel pressure gauge was still on about 44psi.
    ve change after load pull on dyno.hpt
    a few pulls at constant load not wot.hpl

Tuner
    Changed O2 sensor out and didnt change anything. Pulled the top off the motor and got back down to the injectors and pulled them out. Found crystalized fuel in 6 and 8 and also some gas jelly. cleaned out fuel rail and injectors on the bench. Its better but O2 still bounces in and out causing it to go .90 to 1.13. before this it was pretty spot on consistent.

Now I am getting a P0352 code. Think this may be causing whatever it is. So I pulled number 2 coil and swapped it with number 4. still got 352. Checked wire for continuity back to ecm. checked out good. visually checked wire through loom. again had to pull top off. all checked out. cleaned pins. tried it again. 352.

What else can it see to pull that code?

bouncy.hpl