Thread: 2015 cammed 5.7 won't stay running

Advanced Tuner

2015 cammed 5.7 won't stay running

Hey guys, have a Dodge Charger here with a 5.7. Just installed the stage 2 tsp cam and it won't run. Car came in with one of the heads already pulled off by the dealer and seems to have some pre-existing issues. We can start it but it'll die right away unless you hold the gas pedal. We can get it to idle for a bit but it just surges majorly and then dies. We changed the plugs and the injectors and it seems somewhat better. Bank 1 has a new o2 sensor. Seems to have spark now. I thought I would past my base tune here and see what you guys think. It's a 2015 5.7

BLACKCAMMEDCHARGE.001.hplBLACK.CAMMED2015.57CHARGER.001.hpt

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    needs alot of work to get those to run right
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

do you have a data log?

www.n2speed.com
    http://www.amp4x4.com
    [email protected]

Dodge And GM Tuning Suppport
    Diablosport CMR | HP Tuners

Advanced Tuner
    The data log is posted next to the tune. Same name but it's there. I was always taught these things need timing to get a cam to idle right. I added timing on every table, I figure this thing should at least idle decent enough. New injectors and plugs. Coils are working. O2s seem a little buggy. Do you guys delete the rears like on GM cars?

need to get these corrected first before working on tune.

Trouble Codes:
    P0032 - HO2S Heater Control Circuit High (Bank 1, Sensor 1) (Current)
    P0058 - HO2S Heater Control Circuit High (Bank 2, Sensor 2) (Current)
    P0052 - HO2S Heater Control Circuit High (Bank 2, Sensor 1) (Current)
    P2096 (Current)
    P0038 - HO2S Heater Control Circuit High (Bank 1, Sensor 2) (Current)
    P0118 - Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor 1 Circuit High (Current)
    P0123 - Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor A Circuit High (Current)
    P0222 - Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch B Circuit Low (Current)
    P0108 - Manifold Absolute Pressure/BARO Sensor High (Current)
    Controller Type ID By OS: 0

www.n2speed.com
    http://www.amp4x4.com
    [email protected]

Dodge And GM Tuning Suppport
    Diablosport CMR | HP Tuners

Advanced Tuner
    Only the first code is current. The rest are permanent. The sensor that is a current cel P0032 is a new o2 sensor.

Advanced Tuner
    The idle just bounces now and it dies when you hit the gas. The fuel trims show adding 30% fuel but it smells super rich. The tuner in me says just add some air at idle. Is there a field to take care of that on the Dodges? I still suspect something is making it dump fuel. I'd guess the o2s. I'm gonna swap em both out

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by JASON11WS6 View Post
    The idle just bounces now and it dies when you hit the gas. The fuel trims show adding 30% fuel but it smells super rich. The tuner in me says just add some air at idle. Is there a field to take care of that on the Dodges? I still suspect something is making it dump fuel. I'd guess the o2s. I'm gonna swap em both out
    You have a full exhaust system hooked up? Any exhaust leaks? Or are you possibly running open headers?

Advanced Tuner
    Good call, It is pretty much open headers right now. His old exhaust broke off at some garbage welds in the back. We were going to run new pipes from the new headers we installed back to the mufflers. So it's headers and the short connection pipes.

Do the rear o2 sensors read anything on these cars? Or do they just set off codes

Advanced Tuner
    Update...changed both o2 sensors and the short terms are trying to pull 30% fuel. I made an adjustment and again they are asking to pull fuel. Cars running better but the idle is still swinging a bunch and won't level out. Still seems like it needs more air...maybe more spark?

Advanced Tuner
    Here is an update. Seems to be running better but its still not drivable. No check engine light but that idle still just swings all over and doesn't settle. It has moments where it'll start chopping proper but after a bit the idle just starts to swing back and forth. On an LS car I'm just adding air to the idle, cake....What is my answer here. The short term fuel trims just keep pulling 15% out, I've pulled that amount out a few times now and it still persists.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by JASON11WS6 View Post
    Here is an update. Seems to be running better but its still not drivable. No check engine light but that idle still just swings all over and doesn't settle. It has moments where it'll start chopping proper but after a bit the idle just starts to swing back and forth. On an LS car I'm just adding air to the idle, cake....What is my answer here. The short term fuel trims just keep pulling 15% out, I've pulled that amount out a few times now and it still persists.
    https://youtu.be/WzNJreZYLv4
    2018 Trackhawk PCM/TCM tune by Dusterhoff.
    Flex Fuel, MMX faux 95mm TB, GripTec 2.85, 10% ATI lower, FIC1200, ARH 1 7/8 w/cats, 180 T-stat

13 Chrysler 300S, RAM BGE 412 stroker, cam motion 232/246 619/619 118 +4, ATI 18% OD pulley
    Whipple Gen5 3.0, 2.50 upper pulley, Smooth Boost controller, FIC 1200 inj. Nick W 108mm TB, FORE dual return fuel system, E85, FTI 2800 stall(SRT83380), SHR WAR Viking trans and valve body, Getrag 3.73, 1 7/8 kooks w/hi-flow cats, 3" Magnaflow Cat-back 943rwhp

Have you tweaked the VE tables?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by coanan View Post
    Some good info there. I didn't know about the torque model table that closes the throttle. I've had that issue before.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
    Turn off Exhaust cam phaser, and neural network, Tune the Ve tables.
    I think I just might do that. I hate the ANN stuff