Thread: New car, modified tune, safe?

New car, modified tune, safe?

Picked up a '14 camaro ss 1le yesterday. I intend to use it for track days and more HPDE fun. I pulled the tune and it looks modified to me, but pretty basic changes such as no cags, no speed limiter, maybe some maf adjustments and the biggest thing i noticed was the timing and fuel enrichment tables. timing is smooth but seems to have much lower values than stock. it also appears theyve leaned out the Power Enrichment.
    The car is stock (or returned to stock). so maybe it was tuned for minor boltons?
    Those with more experience on these gen4 ls3 platforms, does this tune look safe enough to continue using on my stock LS3 camaro? Thanks!

stock_14_1LE.hpt

Advanced Tuner
    The 0% stoich value has been lowered and is richer than the next ethanol value, id imagine this could cause issues. Also the knock sensors have been slightly desensitized but i would say still at a safe level. There is for sure room for easy improvement, I would probably start over with stock tables.

Thanks for the feedback. With a stoich of 14.1, not under PE, its gonna run rich in normal driving. I wonder why they did this?

What do you make of the timing tables being reduced so much?

Advanced Tuner
    I would say it was on 87 octane. I believe they were using the iat spark table to adjust timing in cooler temps.

Quote Originally Posted by 04silverado6.0 View Post
    I would say it was on 87 octane. I believe they were using the iat spark table to adjust timing in cooler temps.
    This was a california car its whole life, bought right by the ocean. that makes sense for the iat's. but not so much about the octane. but what do I know about the previous owner.
    thanks for your input!

14.1 isn't going to make it run rich if you are running E10 rated fuels. All newer vehicles from GM come with 14.1 as the stock stoich setting. Many states do not have non ethanol 91 or 93 octane.

Here in Minnesota you can only buy non ethanol 91 at certain stations and everywhere else that sells 92 and 93 octane are E10 fuels.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    14.1 would be fine for e10 but the 0% cell is set to 14.1 and some of the ethanol cells are higher than the 0% cell. This would cause a rich issue if e0 was ever put in the tank assuming the maf was tuned with e10.

If the previous owner always only used the same E10 fuel from the same source, there'd be no point in setting up the parts of the tables that would never get used.

Advanced Tuner
    I was thinking this was a factory flex fuel car. I don't think it would cause an issue anyways since it will probably have a full diet of e10.

for context, the stock ss tunes off the repository shows the 0% cell at 14.6800. So I do believe the cell was modified after the fact.
    I reset it back to stock as well as the timing tables. I did apply the stock PE multipliers as well and then scaled it for a target 12.5:1 on the topend, leaving it a bit richer in the midrange torque area just as factory does.

Advanced Tuner
    Sounds like some good changes. Repost the file with your changes and make sure pe actually comes on in a log.

Tuning Addict
    I haven't looked at the tune, but I can tell you if it was originally in California their fuel is absolute garbage and is why the timing was pulled as you state. Don't know why they would have leaned it out unless the MAF was just correctly dialed in and became too rich afterwords... As for the stoichio setting - OE does that from factory on the newer stuff, so I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you just wanted to dial it in for a sensor or something like that.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Quote Originally Posted by 04silverado6.0 View Post
    Sounds like some good changes. Repost the file with your changes and make sure pe actually comes on in a log.
    Thanks, I will make a spirited run today for the datalog and post up the results