Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Ram, Comp Cams Stage 1 cam AFR issues

Tuner in Training

2013 Ram, Comp Cams Stage 1 cam AFR issues

I rebuilt the engine and installed a stage 1 Comp Cams cam in it. It would run and drive on the Original tune until it warmed up but then fall on it's face at idle. After fooling with it for a little bit, we got it to where it would idle and the AFR was running around 14.7. Problem is that when I drove it, the AFR got richer and richer until it finally settled out around 10.5. Drove it all around and drove fine but drove it to work one day and when i went to leave, I didn't think it was going to make it out of the parking lot. Seemed like it had a miss to it. It cleared itself up within several hundred feet but not sure what that was about. I'm going to post my tune but can't post a log session because I'll have to run it this evening to get that. Any help would be much appreciated as I'm brand new to this stuff.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner
    well there is a lot off in the tune, especially if you don't have a cam phaser limiter installed

Tuner
    if you don't have a cam phase limiter installed it could have caused you to bend valves or interfere when it pulls back to fuel on the exhaust cam phase, retard. these engines only use the exhaust cam phase btw, if you want to verify your engine is fine do a compression test and leak down test

Tuner in Training
    I'm sure. I'm very new to this and trying/wanting to learn. It does have a phase limiter installed. I've watched several videos and done a lot of reading. To set the cam numbers is a little confusing. I think I have it worked out correctly but not 100% sure. I would think those numbers are important, especially if I'm going to enable the VVT. I put the cam in the truck for low end torque. I pull an enclosed trailer and wanted a little more bottom end. So a smooth idle and low end torque is what I'm after.

Tuner
    just pull the revised file i sent you upload it and try to start the truck, it will be rich at first start so you might have to help it run giving it a little throttle until it learns the throttle position for idol. Use A graph utilizing LTFT+STFT math to make fueling adjustments to the first ve table

Tuner
    i always recommend using a wideband gauge to verify fueling and logging it to vcm scanner, your truck used EQ ratio Lambda, so you will want to make a graph utilizing eq error ratio math and in channels, logging commanded eq ratio and your wideband with appropriate eq ratio settings.

Tuner in Training
    I'll do it. That graph is something I'll have to go in and manually set up, right?

Tuner
    yes but i can send you a basic graph and log channels

Tuner
    that should get you started, use the LTFT + STFT GRAPH, its based on fuel percentage on fuel trims, you can copy all data in the graph and then go to your ve table1 in the speed density section, control all in the graph, right click, choose paste special, and multiply by 1/2 %. do that a few time until your fueling is close, interpolate the areas with large deviations.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by DB5249 View Post
    Thanks, It'll be this evening or tomorrow before I'll be back in the truck again. I'll load the tune you posted and see what gives.

Tuner
    after you get the hang of that, since you are using a partial cam phase, in the future focus on how to do a neural network tune, essentially a VE table for each cam angle range, you will have to set up filters for logging using greater and less than degree values.

Tuner

Tuner in Training
    Runs pretty good there but the idle is higher than I'm wanting it. If i drop the idle some will that affect it much?

Tuner
    you can drop the idol down, just keep it where it won't stall, you can usually get away with 800 rpm

Tuner in Training
    I dunno what I've missed but the graph I've set up three times won't come below 1 kpa. I've even cloned the LTFT histogram once and changed the parameter to the LTFT + STFT math and changed the column and row values. Still won't come below 1.

Tuner
    download the and use both the graphs and channels I sent you earlier in the post

Tuner in Training
    I did. I didn't realize how to load all that and was trying to set it up manually. Then loaded the graphs section and not the channels section and changed the info you'd sent and it still wasn't working. Had an ah-ha moment and realized I needed to load both for it to work. I finally understood what was happening and got it working. This stuff clearly ain't for dumb folk. I'm going to go and run it today and make some changes with LTFT + STFT stuff. From what I've been reading, this process wont work for WOT? Not that I'll be at WOT much (unless I'm trying to pass someone) but still want it tuned like it should be. And what's the best way to log this stuff? I was just setting the cruise and letting it log.

Tuner in Training
    Ok, I've loaded both files and have made sure the rows and columns are the same. Every time I've made a change it's made it super rich. The videos I'm seeing, they're editing the VE table from the "edit" tab across the top of the page. Mine doesn't have that. I'm doing it from "airflow then speed density".

Tuner
    everything needs to be in working order, check and fix any codes. send me a log file if you will