Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: does turbo require rescaling of trans torque tables??

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by turbo5.3silverado View Post
    Hi Guys
    looking at your attached pic your airmass goes up to 2500? did you adjust the max and recalculate? Mine only go to 800 making my torque max at 450. My spark seems to drop to near 0 degrees when I get into boost and I am not sure why. I attached my tune and most recent log. At about 4 minutes 30 seconds into the log I'm trying to accelerate quickly....lol and the spark has weird drops? Also separate problem just after that CEL came on P0121 and limp mode? It seems I may be chasing multiple issues but any help is appreciated. thanks
    The virtual torque editor should instantly display the new set of tables with your limits, look in my screenshot in the above post and see where I cricled in blue, thats where you need to increase to see a series of tables with higher airmass.

Advanced Tuner
    Also for those of us with truck E38's, I wonder if we should just copy the torque tables from a LS9 calibration? or at least a LSA? I haven't really looked at one in depth but I would think they should look almost identical, except for the slight loss of torque from the LS9/LSA lower compression ratio, which should be almost negligible? I mean what else is so much different that could make the LS9/LSA output so much of a different torque based on RPM and airmass than say a LS3 or L92 or L9H?

Advanced Tuner
    So I did some visual comparing of my stock L9H torque tables to a LS9 ZR1 calibration torque tables, and in the WOT areas around 2000mg airmass they appear to be about 100-200 ft-lbs lower on the ZR1 as compared to the truck. I guess this makes sense at least since the ZR1 was way more likely to be "tuned" or calibrated directly by GM in this airmass area than the trucks.

Does anyone know what a stock LS9 hits for airmass?

Senior Tuner
    Cant help for a LS9.

My LSA hits 1500mg and 180kPa. Stock compression, ported heads and usual bolt ons. Airflow reports around 650g/s @ 6,500rpm for 470rwKw (630rwHp).

Advanced Tuner
    Ok thanks for the info.

I have been fighting a 2-3 WOT slow shift. I just reset the adaptives after flashing CTSV shift times in. Once you preset it to fast learn mode it will click off about a .250 second shift in first and second, but then once it learns after about 2 or 3 WOT shifts it slows back down again. The latest log I took the 2-3 was .7 seconds when commanded is about .35 which really really worries me and I feel like I have probably already done heat damage and/or glazed the clutch. It's really frustrating in that I know it has the capability to shift fast and shift correctly under the additional power, but for whatever reason it just slowly ramps C2 when looking at the PCS 2 pressure commands:

Capture.JPG

Observing the pressure control solenoid 1 through 5 commands they seem to only go up to about 105 psi and seem to be maxxed out no matter what settings you put in the TCM. I know these are only commands though. These and fill pressure command are the only PIDs my scanner will log for transmission pressure. I think we are missing not only a whole lot of tables but also a whole lot of PIDs.

I am wondering if maybe I try out the LSA/LS9 virtual torque tables if that may help me. Maybe the ECM and TCM are thinking they are achieving a certain amount of torque reduction during the 2-3 shift but maybe in reality its making more torque than the ECM/TCM thinks during the shift torque reduction and therefore, its not commanding the pressure and pressure ramp it needs to to engage the on-coming clutch effectively to achieve the shift time.

I guess its just a though out of the 5 million combinations and permutations that it could be that we all have to go through one-by-one with trial and error and try to figure out ourselves.
    Last edited by cmitchell17; 05-07-2022 at 10:20 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Hmm, doesn't look happy. Could you share that log? You need a bigger fuel pump lol. And be careful with wot eq. You're right up there at 0.84 commanded and a further 6% lean on top of that.
    Just need to get my head around why you have 2grams of cylinder air mass when mass flow rate is only 590g/s. Doesn't look right.......

Tuner in Training
    This is from a few posts back. I increased the airmass on the VT table a few times and hit calculate but when I close them and go back they are back to original settings? my MAP tables only go to 100kpa as well? I shut off the P0121 and had done the P0068 before. thanks
    Last edited by turbo5.3silverado; 05-08-2022 at 11:13 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    This is from a few posts back. I increased the airmass on the VT table a few times and hit calculate but when I close them and go back they are back to original settings? my MAP tables only go to 100kpa as well? I shut off the P0121 and had done the P0068 before. thanks
    You have to increase the MAP kpa just like you did for the airmass to show tables with an increased MAP range.

The virtual torque calculation isn't 100% perfect as there is some numerical instability in the calculation similar to the VVE calculation. If you are saying you are changing them, and then when you reopen the virtual torque editor, you are saying they are the exact same numbers in the "virtual" tables as before? When you open the editor again you may have to hit extrapolate coefficients?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by hjtrbo View Post
    Hmm, doesn't look happy. Could you share that log? You need a bigger fuel pump lol. And be careful with wot eq. You're right up there at 0.84 commanded and a further 6% lean on top of that.
    Just need to get my head around why you have 2grams of cylinder air mass when mass flow rate is only 590g/s. Doesn't look right.......
    You are exactly right, I have been trying millions of things trying to figure out why my airmass is so high, it is also high at full manifold pressure before boost kicks in, for whatever reason something I did right after I added the turbo and LS9 MAP it is all of the sudden pulling .8-.85 grams at zero vaccuum, zero boost, when stock it would only pull about .65 grams.

This increased airmass is got to be what's causing the high torque values as well.

In theory, at 14 lbs of boost I should be at about 1.2 grams since double MAP should be closer to around double airmass, but that's defiantly not the case here.

And yes I know I am on the edge on my fuel pump, I have been adjusting the boost controller slightly up and down trying to push it as much as I can without going lean. If I could only get the pump to run 100% DC I could get the flow I need I think, even when you force the FPCM minimum DC table to 100% at the high flow/high pressure areas, it still kicks down the DC to about 90-92% for whatever reason.

I am also using a LS7 MAF I brazed in my charge pipe going to the TB, but its likely introducing turbulence or giving a bad reading as you can tell from the jaggyness in the MAF signal.

So the forum won't let me attach the log file, I guess it is too big but here is a link to it:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkCUE89IhD0Ng-gp...aF2PA?e=moKbHg

Tuner in Training
    Every time I add to the Y axis in the VT table columns either airmass or map the tables change back to stock as soon as I leave the table and come back? It doesnt matter if I hit calculate torque tables button. Extrapolate coefficients is greyed out unless I add a percentage etc to a torque value. Even if I change a table and extrapolate then calculate as soon as I close the table and reopen it it reverts back to 100 kpa max and 800 airmass?

Senior Tuner
    That is the default behaviour. The hp coder didn't allow for remembering your last used values. Pretty shit tbh. Spent all that time to create the VTT editor but left out that little extra feature that not having annoys so many people.

Advanced Tuner
    Every time I add to the Y axis in the VT table columns either airmass or map the tables change back to stock as soon as I leave the table and come back? It doesnt matter if I hit calculate torque tables button. Extrapolate coefficients is greyed out unless I add a percentage etc to a torque value. Even if I change a table and extrapolate then calculate as soon as I close the table and reopen it it reverts back to 100 kpa max and 800 airmass?
    Sorry I mean to say calculate not extrapolate, you hit extrapolate to load the new generated coefficients from the edits you just made in the VT editor. And yes like hjtrbo said, we have been dealing with having to redo every single thing every single time for years now. Unfortunately HP Tuners coming out with "support" for shiny new vehicles makes money for them, so they don't really have an incentive it doesn't seem to add user friendly features to the editor and scanner as well as fixing what support we already have.

If I were you, wouldn't worry about VT at your point, maybe if you wanted to you could just ensure the table makes sense at the higher torque values, like from what I was talking about in the above post making sure the table didn't start diverging at the higher airmasses.

I think you would get a whole lot further by trying to dial in your airmass model by tuning your MAF and VVE table than you would trying to mess with virtual torque. I have been using the LS9 virtual torque tables however, and I haven't been able to conclude if they have made a difference or not. You could try those as well.
    Last edited by cmitchell17; 05-09-2022 at 09:57 PM.