Thread: Is there a difference between Neutral/Park limiters on manual ecu?

Tuner in Training

Is there a difference between Neutral/Park limiters on manual ecu?

For example if I set the Park limit to 3000rpm would my limiter be at 3000 until the cars starts moving and sees vss activity?

E78A ECU here, 2019. M32 manual 6 speed gearbox.

Are you talking about the 12050 - Fuel cutoff RPM in gear table?

I think i tested this, together with the 12072 - RPM limit oil temperature and it didn't seem to work at all. Currently they're set up to a single value of 8192, and that works. Yet i changed the limiter of the first gear to like 3000 RPM, and got the final limit of 3000 RPM in any gear, not just first. Torque in my car behaves differently in 1, 2, 3, 4th gear compared to 5th and 6th therefore i am certain the ECU knows what gear it's in.

12838 - Tip in limit mapped gear is set up like this (stock)

TypCsNOV69.png

and 12073 - RPM limit torque vs RPM vs gear like this (also stock)

TypCsNOV69.png

These tables seem to be connected in some way yet the description is not really helpful, as changing them gives a different result than expected. No idea what the EVT1 and EVT2 gears, or the question marks are.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeRWK View Post
    For example if I set the Park limit to 3000rpm would my limiter be at 3000 until the cars starts moving and sees vss activity?
    Short answer is yes. If a manual transmission vehicle is stationary, OR the clutch is depressed, it is considered to be in Neutral.

Long answer is on manual transmission vehicles without a gear position sensor, the ECM "calculates" what gear the vehicle is in by comparing current RPM / vehicle speed against a table.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by tunerpro View Post
    Short answer is yes. If a manual transmission vehicle is stationary, OR the clutch is depressed, it is considered to be in Neutral.

Long answer is on manual transmission vehicles without a gear position sensor, the ECM "calculates" what gear the vehicle is in by comparing current RPM / vehicle speed against a table.
    I was hoping to set up a sort of launch control, but if I change the neutral limit it will also be that limit when im shifting gears, right?

Advanced Tuner
    That's correct, because the ECM will consider the current gear to be Neutral when the clutch is depressed.