Thread: Please Criticize my WIP...(work in progress) files attached

Tuner in Training

Lightbulb Please Criticize my WIP...(work in progress) files attached

Hi all. I'm not new to tuning but I'm definitely not a PRO. I lurk on this forum and get valuable information and explanations of what and how to do almost anything. Great people on here and I want to contribute. Eventually I'll post a list of others with links of those I relied on so they know how much their contributions help everyone and I'll keep this updated. So, here goes.

I'm 39 years old, gave 5 years to the US Army on active duty, currently a conductor for a class 1 railroad. I'm not easily offended so bring the pain.
    I love criticism because it is typically direct and to the point about what I'm doing wrong. Please, if you can, include why its wrong and how to fix it so everyone can learn and improve. That is the part that makes criticism a valuable tool.

Vehicle: 2016 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0 Ecoboost AWD. 30k miles.
    MODS: Cheap DIY 3 inch intake with 6 inch cone filter. Removed muffler at rear axle for air flow.
    SCANNER abilities: MPVI1, Forscan and others with OBDLink MX+, WB on the Vehicle from factory.
    GOAL: Tune for max SAFE limits performance, Retain drivability, not worried about fuel economy.

Scanner is a mess because I keep adding more to it but not creating purpose built scanner layouts. Unless there is an issue with the scanner as it is, I'll build the purpose built layouts as I need them. I definitely need to read through the scanner threads to understand how to do it correctly.

Tunes have all been relatively "safe" and "conservative" with the goal being to determine the limiters and adjust as needed to get rid of them. I understand the limiters need to be backed off to allow better SAFE limits but NOT eliminated.

My method: (simplified, not all inclusive)
    load the stock tune
    Driver Demand Torque, add 25 to 200% to the entire table
    Log restrictions
    adjust various things to reach the UNREALISTIC Driver Demand Torque target I set
    Driver Demand Torque, adjust for drivability

Current Scan and Tune issues, besides tuning incorrectly:
    tipin detonation control @ 1000 and 2500 RPM (when I start to push pedal on take off or to speed up.
    Cylinder Pressure limit @ 3500 - 5000 RPM
    Combustion Stability AND Popcorn @ 2500 and 6500 RPM
    ENGINE OVERSPEED CONTROL @ 6500 RPM (reduced some RPM limits to keep it away from 7000 RPM but need to adjust shifts to correct this.

I'm certain I could fix these issues before starting over but I wanted to share my inexperience and get feedback.
    Thank You Everyone.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2016 Jeep Wrangler, 3.6 Pentastar, 6 speed, 3.73 axles.

Tuner
    you have your pedal map ratio set to 1 across the board, your limiting your power there. put the highest # 1.5469 in the higher throttle and speed areas. you need to log the individual cylinder knock retard and be careful! changing the pedal map ratio will really wake it up!
    Last edited by Stevekreger; 04-30-2022 at 04:45 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Noticed the knock is not global, now logging correctly. Changed a couple airflow settings and the vehicle woke up. Not entirely sure it's a simple multiplier but, I changed the torque control from 20% to 100% and with traction control off I would spin the wheels in the PowerBar without trying. Going to go back to stock and starts over with what I learned so far.

Need to log slip in transmission on stock so I can ensure the changes won't burn clutch/steel plates.
    2016 Jeep Wrangler, 3.6 Pentastar, 6 speed, 3.73 axles.

Tuner
    Screenshot (2).png
    Quote Originally Posted by FarShot83 View Post
    Noticed the knock is not global, now logging correctly. Changed a couple airflow settings and the vehicle woke up. Not entirely sure it's a simple multiplier but, I changed the torque control from 20% to 100% and with traction control off I would spin the wheels in the PowerBar without trying. Going to go back to stock and starts over with what I learned so far.

Need to log slip in transmission on stock so I can ensure the changes won't burn clutch/steel plates.
    did you adjust pedal map ratio? " Pedal Map Ratio: Adjusts driver demand torque on AT equipped vehicles to allow for gear based adjustment. This is done by using OSS as an input, instead of gear or gear ratio" its kinda like trans torque truncation . i'm getting 23-24 lb's of boost "2.0 also" yours is still only hitting 19 ish wich is still in the stock range. i'm thinking this is whats holding it back, your airflow setting are more than adequate. should look something like this scrreenshot but with your numbers
    Last edited by Stevekreger; 04-30-2022 at 04:42 PM.