Thread: 3 bricked PCMs in two days?

Potential Tuner

3 bricked PCMs in two days?

Last week I finally got the turbo on my truck so I went to tune it everything went great at first- I?ve been tuning this truck for about a year now multiple cams it?s been great. So last week I go to load some adjustments I hit write and it erases the file then starts writing and freezes at 0% and bricks my PCM. So I Pulled the PCM out of one of my other trucks and loaded the tune on it. it worked for two writes then bricked. I bite the bullet buy two credits again and get another PCM from the junkyard and it works for about five loads then it bricks also. So I gave up on the truck for the week and now I?m back at it ,went to the write tune and another bricked PCM. It always happens at the same spot it erases my current file then starts loading the new road and freezers. I?ll try loading again and it times out tray right entire still times up. I can?t afford to keep buying credits for the same vehicle, same tune. this is crazy. Please help. Truck is a 2001 Silverado with a 6.0 LS

Advanced Tuner
    Try flashing one with a bench harness..
    Got a buddy that owns a performance shop and after bricking several LS1B Pcms he has to flash them with a bench harness. Hasnt had a issue since. But with them in the vehicle he bricked quite a few before giving up on that idea.

Sounds like faulty communication cable or something with communication

When you connect everything, inspect all the pins. Look for bent pins. Look for chewed wires. Use a brand new usb cable, dont trust old cable or dirty cable.
    The grounds for the laptop and ECU should not be intermingled. Don't have the laptop connected to wall power when you hit write. Leave laptop on battery power and the vehicle on battery power, no chargers or alternative sources of voltage.

WHen you hit that write button, you step away from the vehicle like its a lit fuse. Hit write and run. Let the vehicle sit by itself, quietly the entire time. DO not touch the door handles or brake pedal or shifter or anything. Don't even be near it. Don't let it vibrate or have sound or water nearby.

Sounds excessive but that is how sensitive electronics can be. Most likely a cable or grounding issue IMO

'bench harness' is a great idea for diagnostics. I made one before ever trying anything on the vehicle for the first time.
    Its not hard as it sounds, you just plugin the harness (or a test harness- I would use both. First a test harness, THEN the real thing, make sure both work) to a 12v power source like a computer power supply for typical desktop computer.
    boot.jpg

And its not difficult to unbrick one of these supposed bricked devices - You Tube will show you how to do it. And get a good two amp or more, 12.5 volt DC or more power supply for use with a bench harness.

Cheap wall wart power supplies are risky for writing to these PCM devices.

Rick
    1970 Chevrolet El Camino LM7 5.3 liter mill and a 4L60E transmission.

Potential Tuner
    Cool thanks guys. For now what I?m doing is only using the scanner to data log then when time to flash I pull the PCM and put it in my other truck then write it. Been working for now. Thanks for the help everyone I?m thinking it?s a ground/wire issue. It is a LS swapped vehicle with a homemade harness but the wierd thing is I been flashing to it for a year now almost weekly without problem