Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first start on my gen3 5.3 ls swap into a volvo 740

Tuner in Training

first start on my gen3 5.3 ls swap into a volvo 740

i bought this as a clobbered up mess!!!! but i have it kinda running for the first time today

here is what i got. 06 all alm 5.3 with 799 heads ls1 intake with
    EV1 Fuel Injectors 0280150558 42lb 440cc
    cam specs
    Intake Valve Lift: .585"
    Exhaust Valve Lift: .585"
    Advertised Intake Duration: 283?
    Advertised Exhaust Duration: 286?
    Intake Duration @ .050": 228?
    Exhaust Duration @ .050": 230?
    Lobe Separation: 112?
    Intake Centerline: 108?
    custom harness, only 2 things not plugged in, they are marked flex and iat.
    4l60e and stock pcm

i turned off vats and set the idle to 999 bc i knew it would be mad about the cam. i did start it once on the stand but that was with everything stock. im very new to tuning so if there is anything im missing please let me know. any help would be great!

5-4 edit
    ok i have the stock 06 truck injectors in it now. i posted log and tune files. and its still acks like vats is on. only things i have done to the tune is turned off vats and set the idle to 999 fuel presser is set at 58 psi with no vacuum and have no vacuum line running to the regulator yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by IWantATurbo; 05-04-2022 at 10:53 AM.

Wire in a IAT for sure, otherwise it won't want to run very good.

If the MAF is gone that will need to be turned off as well.

Who makes those fuel injectors? Did they come with data?

Post the tune file here as well.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Oh boy. https://www.google.com/search?tbs=li...0&q=0280150558

I suppose it's technically possible to find someone selling the legit real-deals, but how would you ever know?

Yeah I didn't google it lol. So in short they are better off put in the trash bin

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Oh boy. https://www.google.com/search?tbs=li...0&q=0280150558

I suppose it's technically possible to find someone selling the legit real-deals, but how would you ever know?

i have these would they be better?
    https://www.injectorplanet.com/produ...ord-f1se-e5a-1

Tuner in Training
    also i got the fuel reg installed today and set to 42 pounds. that helped alot! but it used to go up to 90 pounds and hold it but now it goes to 0 as soon as the pump shuts off? what did i brake?

Advanced Tuner
    your fuel pressure went up to 90psi?
    If your pump doesnt have a check valve it will fall to zero very fast.

Get OEM take off injector from a later model GM truck like a 6.0 or 6.2. Those would be 50 or 52lb/hr in the flex fuel vehicles. There are ways to make the GEN 4 data into GEN 3 data and people have been doing it for a while.

Or pay more for injectors from Deatchworks, Fuel injector clinic or Fuel injector connection. Any of those 3 will have the proper data for tuning.

Set your fuel pressure to 4 bar or 58psi.

The regulator also has to be able to seal off the return port to hold pressure at key-off, lots of aftermarket regs don't.

Tuner in Training
    it still acts like the vats is active most of the time and if it does idle it only idles at 400 rpm?

Tuner in Training
    how do i get oil presser to show on it?

Waste of time to adjust things to compensate for the lack of injector data. For once, I don't even think you should post the tune & log files, because they'd only tell us you need injector data before you do anything else, and it's possible to say that right now without looking at anything.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274424906026 - I and others here have bought from this listing and they are genuine
    https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1887186 - if you don't trust eBay, you can see they are super cheap even from retail sources, something weird about oversupply of this specific part number

Tuner in Training
    i have stock truck injectors but they wont fit the ls1 intake they are way shorter?
    i have these but there to much for a stock motor right? was going to put them in when i ad the turbo set up.
    https://www.highflowfuel.com/genuine...AaAmhjEALw_wcB

Tuner in Training
    ok i have the stock 06 truck injectors in it now. i posted log and tune files. and its still acks like vats is on. only things i have done to the tune is turned off vats and set the idle to 999 fuel presser is set at 58 psi with no vacuum and have no vacuum line running to the regulator yet.

any help would be great.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I see two big problems.

You set the MAF DTC's to no error reported. I assume you have removed the MAF. If so you did the settings wrong. They need to be set to MIL on first error and you need to set the MAF fail high in the engine diag tab to 0hz.

Then in the data log the MAP sensor is stuck at 77kpa the whole time. So either there is a sensor problem or you have a non factory MAP. Or that channel is frozen in the scanner. You could delete the channel, repoll for supported parameters under the vehicle tab and then add the channel back in to see if it starts working.

Tuner in Training
    ok fixed the tune for no maf i think.

then put in the stock map from the truck intake (stock map that came with the motor and pcm)

now looks like its stuck at 11? and no change still wont stay running

thanks again for all the help!

If you are going to tinker with this stuff, you will need your own service manual with diagnostic info, wiring diagrams, and pinouts.

screenshot.04-05-2022 13.01.17.png

DTC P0107
    Circuit Description

The manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor responds to pressure changes in the intake manifold. The pressure changes occur based on the engine load. The MAP sensor has the following circuits:
    ? 5-volt reference circuit
    ? Low reference circuit
    ? MAP sensor signal circuit

The powertrain control module (PCM) supplies 5 volts to the MAP sensor on the 5-volt reference circuit. The PCM also provides a ground on the low reference circuit. The MAP sensor provides a signal to the PCM on the MAP sensor signal circuit which is relative to the pressure changes in the manifold. The PCM should detect a low signal voltage at a low MAP, such as during an idle or a deceleration. The PCM should detect a high signal voltage at a high MAP, such as the ignition is ON, with the engine OFF, or at a wide open throttle (WOT). The MAP sensor is also used in order to determine the barometric pressure (BARO). This occurs when the ignition switch is turned ON, with the engine OFF. The BARO reading may also be updated whenever the engine is operated at WOT. The PCM monitors the MAP sensor signal for voltage outside of the normal range.

If the PCM detects a MAP sensor signal voltage that is excessively low, DTC P0107 sets.

screenshot.04-05-2022 12.57.57.png screenshot.04-05-2022 12.58.33.png

Your injector data is still wrong, if you have converted to a return-type fuel system.

Tuner in Training
    i forgot to plug the map in when i changed it!!!! thanks again for posting this so i checked it! now it runs and idles!

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    If you are going to tinker with this stuff, you will need your own service manual with diagnostic info, wiring diagrams, and pinouts.

screenshot.04-05-2022 13.01.17.png

DTC P0107
    Circuit Description

The manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor responds to pressure changes in the intake manifold. The pressure changes occur based on the engine load. The MAP sensor has the following circuits:
    ? 5-volt reference circuit
    ? Low reference circuit
    ? MAP sensor signal circuit

The powertrain control module (PCM) supplies 5 volts to the MAP sensor on the 5-volt reference circuit. The PCM also provides a ground on the low reference circuit. The MAP sensor provides a signal to the PCM on the MAP sensor signal circuit which is relative to the pressure changes in the manifold. The PCM should detect a low signal voltage at a low MAP, such as during an idle or a deceleration. The PCM should detect a high signal voltage at a high MAP, such as the ignition is ON, with the engine OFF, or at a wide open throttle (WOT). The MAP sensor is also used in order to determine the barometric pressure (BARO). This occurs when the ignition switch is turned ON, with the engine OFF. The BARO reading may also be updated whenever the engine is operated at WOT. The PCM monitors the MAP sensor signal for voltage outside of the normal range.

If the PCM detects a MAP sensor signal voltage that is excessively low, DTC P0107 sets.

screenshot.04-05-2022 12.57.57.png screenshot.04-05-2022 12.58.33.png