Thread: 2007 Ram 1500 4.7 hot and cold idle speeds

Potential Tuner

2007 Ram 1500 4.7 hot and cold idle speeds

Greetings all,
    I have a 2007 Ram 1500 4.7L 80k miles on the clock. I've read in other forums that the hot and cold engine idle speeds are able to be tuned. I understand Dodge programmed idle speeds a bit to high for a few years. My truck high idles cold at 1500 rpm then settles down to 650 or so after it warms up, 60 seconds or so, maybe a little more. When the engine is hot it will high idle about 1300 rpm for about the same amount of time, every time its started, regardless of engine temperature. Then it will settle into a normal idle. My question is will the HP Tuner device allow me to set the hot and cold idle speeds? Is there a sample file available for this truck so I can see what can be tuned in the software? I can live with the stock idle speeds but it is annoying. The only reason I'm considering buying the tuner is I can also use it my ATV shop.

Thanks

Potential Tuner
    To answer my own question, yes. The HP Tuners device allowed me to set the proper idle speed parameters, hot and cold engine. Now it starts cold at 1300rpm for a second then drops to about 900 instantly then to 600 in about 30 seconds or so. If I put the truck in gear right away it drops instantly. I also got the transmission straightened out. The truck would shift all they way through the gears just cruising around town, under 45 mph. The truck would "lug along" to the point i always had to stab the throttle a little to force a down shift. The scanner tool allowed me to see what was happening in real time. What was thought to be a slipping clutch (one shop recommended a rebuild,$$) turned out to be just odd shift patterns. After changing shift parameters several times I now have the truck shifting perfectly. The transmission doesn't "search" anymore on slight grades. Tow/Haul shifts just a bit higher rpm and holds longer with more throttle. Its a pleasure to drive. The HP tuners device and software are excellent! Best money I ever spent.