Thread: 6L90 Output speed sensor calibration

Tuner

6L90 Output speed sensor calibration

I have a friend with a swapped 6.0 and 6L90 in a 1950 Chevy pickup. The donor vehicle was originally a 4WD and mechanically speaking he figured it out to make it work 2wd with a "simplified" transfer case (no actuator, position indicator, etc).

If I plug the scanner I?m able to read the speed of the vehicle but is not shown in the cluster. Is there a way of doing any OS or SW changes to make the speedometer work?

I know the 6L80 has the OSS sensor location option, but I see no options for those on the 6L90 calibration file.

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by AlanDC View Post
    I have a friend with a swapped 6.0 and 6L90 in a 1950 Chevy pickup. The donor vehicle was originally a 4WD and mechanically speaking he figured it out to make it work 2wd with a "simplified" transfer case (no actuator, position indicator, etc).

If I plug the scanner I?m able to read the speed of the vehicle but is not shown in the cluster. Is there a way of doing any OS or SW changes to make the speedometer work?

I know the 6L80 has the OSS sensor location option, but I see no options for those on the 6L90 calibration file.

Thanks in advance!

The 6L80 / 6L90 transmissions were used with Gen 4 and Gen 5 engines.

Similarly to the older Gen 3 setups - the transmission provides the vehicle speed to the ECM.

The ECM (E38 / E67 / E78 / E92) then outputs the vehicle speed to the IPC (gauge cluster).

An E38 or E67 ECM may be configured to provide a "pulsed" output to activate many electronic speedometers.

If you are using an E78 or E92 ECM - these cannot output a traditional pulsed speed signal - they can only output the vehicle speed over the CanBus network.

The short answer is - vehicle speed output to the speedometer is normally a function of the ECM - not of the TCM.
    Last edited by Shrek; 05-05-2022 at 07:22 AM. Reason: typo