Thread: NBP lock delay

Potential Tuner

NBP lock delay

Hi,

I have been using a different phone app to record my ECU data but I want to save the relevant data into just one capture system (TrackAddict). I'm using a ESP32 development board and connected it to my ECU. I initially tried using NBP over WiFi using an Android phone. This seems to work pretty well and TrackAddict sees the NBP data quickly and the indicator goes green right away. The problem with this method is that either TrackAddict tries to request something on the Internet or the phone itself just drops the non-internet WiFi connection after a while.

Since WiFi didn't seem reliable, I switched over to using Bluetooth. The connection via Bluetooth seems good and stays connected. Using the "Serial Bluetooth" Android app, I can see the proper packets being received by the phone. However, TrackAddict doesn't seem to lock onto this stream for at least 3 minutes. After this time, the NBP indicator goes green and I can see the live data ok. I am using the UPDATEALL messages only. I assumed this would be ok to use as it seems to work fine for WiFi.

What could cause the 3 minute connection lag/latency? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Potential Tuner
    Ok, I think I found at least a way to get it to work. I had to manually switch the NBP connection method to "OFF" and then switch it back to "Bluetooth" and then it would connect and lock right away.

Otherwise, it seems the TrackAddict doesn't try to check the Bluetooth for 3 minutes.

Is there somewhere I can post this as a bug/issue?

Or, is this app just not supported any longer and I should find a different app to use? I noticed it seems like there haven't been any HpTuner staff responses in this forum for a long time.