Thread: Mk7 R first time trying

Tuner in Training

Mk7 R first time trying

Hey,
    so i got a manual MK7 R i put a downpipe on and on Monday chargepipes and big Intercooler.
    I licensed the vehicle ran a log and so far i made only small changes have not run log jet.

can someone steer me in the right direction
    1st log base.hplBase MK7R.hptMk7R Stage 2.hpt

Advanced Tuner
    looks a little familiar

Tuner in Training lumberjackzac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexRodi View Post
    Hey,
    so i got a manual MK7 R i put a downpipe on and on Monday chargepipes and big Intercooler.
    I licensed the vehicle ran a log and so far i made only small changes have not run log jet.

can someone steer me in the right direction
    1st log base.hplBase MK7R.hptMk7R Stage 2.hpt
    You can see knock start to tick up because of how much boost you are running with .95 lambda. Try lowering your peak boost to like 25psi and increasing lambda to .87
    lambda.JPG
    Last edited by lumberjackzac; 05-07-2022 at 02:15 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Try9ing to learn from the best! Used some of the GTI file to go in the right direction i have to run a log on my R to see how it does

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by lumberjackzac View Post
    You can see knock start to tick up because of how much boost you are running with .95 lambda. Try lowering your peak boost to like 25psi and increasing lambda to .87
    lambda.JPG
    Thanks i will try

Tuner in Training
    I put a tune on and its knocking quit a bit i guess too much boost?
    Should i still increase lambda?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by AlexRodi View Post
    I put a tune on and its knocking quit a bit i guess too much boost?
    Should i still increase lambda?
    So many things happening here. Look where your throttle drops off to 42% even though accel is 99%. Your STFT are way too high. you want less than 25. You have some timing pulled at the same time for any number of reasons. There is an issue.

Can't say exactly. What's your fueling situation?

Base MK7R_test.hpt

test this

Tuner in Training
    I tried based of Tylerdubbs tune which i think was not good with the small knowledge i have haha i think i start from scratch.
    as you said i have too much happening.
    i put always 93 in it

Tuner in Training
    thanks i check it out!!

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by frantik3 View Post
    Thanks frantik3 i check it out

Potential Tuner
    Hey @AlexRodi and @TylerJDubbs - question for you guys, since I'm just getting started like y'all.

Would you be able to give a basic idea of what you're logging, and how you're applying that to the maps?

This map is SO different from anything else I've worked on (mostly Subaru doing both AFR tuning and Speed Density). With this whole "group" thing in this ecu, I'm just having a hard time figuring out how to (easily?) apply the data I get from logging into these maps.

I've been through Tyler's tune (THANK YOU FOR POSTING IT!!!!), and I've seen the changes. I understand the majority of them, but I just don't understand how you tuned up all those "groups".

Sorry, I left my MPVI2 at home by accident, so I can't open my tune files to give you the specific table names. But I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

PS - HP Tuners, it would be GREAT to be able to adjust my tune files without needing the MPVI2 connected. I use multiple devices to tune, and I use OneDrive to sync logs/tunes from one device to another. So I'll log on my Tablet, then go to my laptop or desktop to make changes, then that syncs back to my tablet which I then use to write. Tablet is "built in to" the car. Makes it a HUGE PITA!

Thanks guys!!!!

~Nick

Quote Originally Posted by NickBurnsCCG View Post
    Hey @AlexRodi and @TylerJDubbs - question for you guys, since I'm just getting started like y'all.

Would you be able to give a basic idea of what you're logging, and how you're applying that to the maps?

This map is SO different from anything else I've worked on (mostly Subaru doing both AFR tuning and Speed Density). With this whole "group" thing in this ecu, I'm just having a hard time figuring out how to (easily?) apply the data I get from logging into these maps.

I've been through Tyler's tune (THANK YOU FOR POSTING IT!!!!), and I've seen the changes. I understand the majority of them, but I just don't understand how you tuned up all those "groups".

Sorry, I left my MPVI2 at home by accident, so I can't open my tune files to give you the specific table names. But I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

PS - HP Tuners, it would be GREAT to be able to adjust my tune files without needing the MPVI2 connected. I use multiple devices to tune, and I use OneDrive to sync logs/tunes from one device to another. So I'll log on my Tablet, then go to my laptop or desktop to make changes, then that syncs back to my tablet which I then use to write. Tablet is "built in to" the car. Makes it a HUGE PITA!

Thanks guys!!!!

~Nick
    The manual for this ECU is 27194 pages. You do not really want to understand all that. The computer targets the requested Torque based on the Pedal position, for example, 100. You can crank up the torque request from 380nm to 500nm and change the strategy to achieve that torque through Fuel, Spark, Airflow, and raising safety limits. These "groups" are related to the cars strategy in that particular tab. There are a lot of helpful hints when you hover over a table as to what it will affect.

You have a lot of groups when there must be many strategies to achieve results. normal pedal, max acceleration, engine hot, engine cold, overheating, safety protection, bad gas, port runner flaps open/closed, turbo size, transmission auto/dct/manual, variable intake valve timing position, exhaust valve timing high/low position, car warming up Catalytic convertor, elevation, outside air temp.... it just goes on and on. The car correlates them all in producing the torque you request

In general, you are going to be spending time with
    [Airflow] >Pressure control >Turbocharger for your strategy to limit Boost either MAP or PR
    [Fuel] >Power Enrich for your Lambdas at WOT
    [Fuel] >Flexfuel if you are running an ethanol sensor
    [Fuel] >General if you are setting up MPI
    [Spark] you may want to leave alone until you know what you're doing. General adjusting for faster recovery and pulling less timing when the vehicle "anticipates" knock
    [Torque Model] >General will be for adjusting your Air to Torque and Torque to Air. The torque requested will eventually turn into a boost request. It's necessary for the car to have instruction TTA as well as a model ATT to measure by. Look up Feedforward vs feedback
    There are a few pesky settings here and there. basically dialing in how much torque you are comfortable with then airflow, fuel, limits, transmission limits and timing

Potential Tuner
    Man, for a lumberjack, you really know your sh*t.

The "groups" I was referring to are the [Airflow] > [Speed Density] > Group Mappings + Groups. These are the ones I'm having a hard time understanding how to apply what I log to the tables. I mean, I guess I understand it, but seems EXTREMELY tedious to modify this part of the map. So tedious, it starts to feel like I don't understand it. lol

When I compare TylerJDubs' map to the OEM map, he has made a LOT of modifications in the array of VE groups. Looking at the changes, I would be hard pressed to think those new values came out of his brain - it had to come from some sort of logging where he applied histograms from the logs to those groups. THIS is what I don't understand in this ECU/car.

I'm used to speed density tuning on Subarus (JDM engines with VVT) - a nice simple 3d table I can apply my logging histograms to. (Thank you $600 JDM subaru motors for allowing me to learn.)

Honestly, compared to almost any other speed density map I've seen before, this one just seems outrageously confusing/complicated.

Anyway, THANK YOU for the fantastic response. It has been EXTREMELY helpful. The focus areas are very helpful, and pretty much on par with where I focus on my other cars. I know my way around the spark tables thanks to AFR and Speed Density tuning on my subes, so that's one area I actually feel pretty comfortable. Albeit once again the Audi map is far more complex just like the VE tables.

I swear I feel like I'll never understand how to do this fully, but I know if I keep digging in and asking questions I'll get it. It just hasn't "clicked" yet. I've been [learning] tuning for about a year now, and I'm still wildly uncomfortable touching this Audi tune. The Subes are like, no problemo. I own a damned technology company, been programming since '94, and I swear tuning is harder......

Tuning pretty much anything will EVENTUALLY click, right? RIGHT?

Thank you again!!

~Nick