Thread: Cheat Sheet

Cheat Sheet

Is there an official cheat sheet for HPTuners on the '411 controller? You guys know what I'm talking about right? All the most common shortcuts to get you right to the place you need to be to tune the different parts of the performance envelope. Like warmup, cranking, transients and all the rest.

If there is one could somebody kindly direct me to it please? If there isn't one I'd respectfully suggest that maybe we should make one up. Used them in the military and industry for all sorts of things and they really can be quite handy.

Jim

Advanced Tuner
    Ive got a couple "Tuning Guides" for Efi Live software and Gen 3 PCMs but the table numbers are different.
    But for HPT i found this awhile back and send it to all my buddys trying to tune their own stuff..

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...e-(w-pictures)

Thanks, great resource and I'll be reading that carefully in the coming days and weeks.

But it's not really what I'm looking for here. I should try to be more clear. As you all know, the labels of the various tables and settings are not always intuitive in terms of finding what you are looking for to adjust what you are trying to tune. (It doesn't help that what is intuitive for one person is never that way for everyone) For instance, let's say you want to adjust the amount of IAC airflow during cranking. Unless you already know where to find that you can run around in circles for quite a long time before finally deciding you MIGHT have found something that you could TRY, and then maybe it doesn't do what you thought it would. This sort of thing has happened to everybody.

But what if we had a cheat sheet that had simple line entries like:
    -IAC
    ----Cranking Airflow: Table # ____, (Path), increase settings to add airflow while cranking.

Now obviously we use a lot of shorthand when it comes to table locations. Rarely is a complete path given and even more seldom the table number. But if it were, a relative newbie could find the right table first time, every time and a sensible tip on tuning would have them on their way.

I've been using this software for over five years now and I still get lost in it all the time. It's a huge map with tons of stuff in it and although there is an incredible amount of tuning advice available, just the sheer quantity gets in the way of actually accomplishing what you set out to do. I think a cheat sheet could change all that.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Blackwood; 05-07-2022 at 09:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Blackwood View Post
    ... I've been using this software for over five years now and I still get lost in it all the time. It's a huge map with tons of stuff in it and although there is an incredible amount of tuning advice available, just the sheer quantity gets in the way of actually accomplishing what you set out to do. I think a cheat sheet could change all that ...

If this is something that matters to you, then it is something that you could undertake to complete.

Below is a link to a Gen 5 thread, where an enthusiast has done something similar:

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...at-and-Catless

If you have been using HPT for 5 years, and still don't know your way around, then you don't use it often, nor with multiple vehicles. To anyone that tunes for a living, the software becomes highly intuitive - just like any other software (Word, Excel, Power Point, etc.).

That's probably headed in the right direction, sort of. But not really. It's more a specific vehicle based guide from a quick look, maybe a more in depth look will be different.

You are right, I don't tune cars all day every day, and I'm very glad I don't. I build custom engines and I'm retired so I can build them at the pace I want. When one is completed then tuning begins and the intervals between are long. So anything I learn about software is going to be 90% forgotten between jobs and I can't afford the time required to do a complete immersion in the software for each and every job. It would be like you going back to school for every car you do, and you wouldn't stand still for that either.

I don't know what proportion of tuners more like me there are on this forum but the only thing limiting them is the cost of entry. Still if serious about the platform it is cost effective. So I'm not alone here and I'm not the only one who would use a cheat sheet if one was available. It would short cut the need for training dramatically and even full timers like yourself would find themselves using it if it were comprehensive and descriptive enough.

So I will begin, using what I am currently working on and adding to it as I can. Perhaps I can have something rudimentary done in time for our annual BritishV8 meet in June. In the meantime any obscure submissions would be welcome as long as they conform to the one line format described above and with one caveat: They need to be specific and concise. Don't assume because you know where it is that I will, and don't assume I will interpret your description the way you understand it. It'll be the end of the week before I'll be able to begin, but by then I hope there will be some submissions I can add, as that will speed the project along and make it better for everyone.

The format will be to order the entries according to general categories corresponding to engine performance characteristics such as Cranking, After-start, Warmup, and Transients just for example. The idea being when you are looking at a specific performance problem you can go directly to the places that affect it the most. Things that are more general in effect such as injector size and VE tables may or may not be included depending on how detailed the sheet becomes. The idea is not to supplant the hover notes or HPT instructions but to make them easier to use by providing some directions in much the same way that a road map does.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Blackwood; 05-08-2022 at 05:54 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    I think what would be best for you is to add the most common tables to your favorites tab.
    Its easier to get to those tables if your not going into the software everyday.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.JPG (77.8 KB, 27 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.JPG (32.0 KB, 23 views)

Good suggestion but it isn't enough. There are no descriptions in the favorites menu and worse still often several things have the same name.

Jim