Thread: 4l80e soft shift with a hd2 transgo shift kit

Potential Tuner

4l80e soft shift with a hd2 transgo shift kit

I?ve done 2 different transmission?s and have the same issue 2-3 doesn?t shift hard. I have the separator plate drilled for drag race 1-2 and 3-4 are like a rock but 2-3 in both transmissions are soft. I have the clutch packs w/o the wave/spring plate and the correct gap between the pressure plate and the pack. I have checked the psi and it runs on the higher side of the range that the book gives. I did not change the band on either transmission. Not sure what I need to do to get it to shift harder

Advanced Tuner
    Getting a 4l80E to have a Firm 2-3 can be tricky sometimes.
    What torque converter do you run in them?

Potential Tuner
    It has a Kevlar clutch stock stall and diameter. No programming for the transmission. I didn?t think it would be a programming issue. I don?t have debris in the pan the oil is clean

Quote Originally Posted by pro439 View Post
    It has a Kevlar clutch stock stall and diameter. No programming for the transmission. I didn?t think it would be a programming issue. I don?t have debris in the pan the oil is clean

So, you are running the OEM stock transmission calibration - while also using many aftermarket hard parts - and wondering why it does not magically shift the way you would like it to ?

One of the best areas, for people new to tuning to begin, is with changes to the transmission calibration. With a 4-speed automatic, a small number of changes can greatly improve the "seat-of-the-pants" shift feel - often dramatically changing the overall driving experience.

Tuning the transmission calibration is required to maximize the benefits of your hard parts upgrade.

Potential Tuner
    So you can?t do it alone with hard parts? I don?t have anything to tweak the program and have never done any programming. I wasn?t sure if I had missed something in the transmission. What would you use to program? I?ve done programming on big trucks-tweaking. I thought I missed something that I?m not aware of. I appreciate your responses
    Last edited by pro439; 05-08-2022 at 08:05 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by pro439 View Post
    So you can?t do it alone with hard parts? I don?t have anything to tweak the program and have never done any programming. I wasn?t sure if I had missed something in the transmission. What would you use to program? I?ve done programming on big trucks-tweaking. I thought I missed something that I?m not aware of. I appreciate your responses
    Well you are on HP Tuners forum. How about HP Tuners.