Thread: PWM fan help

PWM fan help

Hey guys,
    I'm hoping there's an answer here. I'm trying to get my fans working using a C6 PWM fan controller. The ECU is an E38 set up for a 2015 Z28 LS7. The tune file was set up for discrete fan control as I received it. I tried copying over all the fan settings from one of the C6 cars I used to own, but the fans do not operate.

After doing some searching here, it seems a segment swap might be the answer. I was going to try it with one of my C6 files, but the segment swap option is grayed out. I'm guessing that means something isn't compatible? I found a 2015 SS sedan tune files that look to be compatible, so I was going to try that. I have zero experience with this, and don't want to cause any permanent damage or brick the ECU. The main OS is the same between my tune file and the SS file, so I'm hoping the segment swap will work.

Files in question are attached. Thanks

2015 SS manual.hpt

Andy's LS7 speartech file.hpt

Guess I will answer my own question: swapping the system segment from the SS file fixed my fan issues.

I've seen/fixed that issue before with a Corvette OS, didn't know the same thing applied to Camaro.

EDIT: Just found the files, it WAS a Camaro OS!

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    I've seen/fixed that issue before with a Corvette OS, didn't know the same thing applied to Camaro.
    The thread I mentioned to you posting on was a 2011 Camaro OS, and you fixed it with a Corvette OS segment swap. I tried the same thing with this 2015 Z28 setup, but it seems that none of the C6 OS are compatible. I figured I would look at the SS sedan, since it is a newer car with a similar powertrain. I’m glad it worked.

Yep, just an earlier one. Mine is a manual, so hopefully it does not cause any other issues.

For what it is worth, I talked to Speartech about this. He thought that this may have simply been an issue with the scanner trying to control the fans as opposed to an actual issue with the fans with the engine running and up to temp. He said he has the same issue with a Tech 2 when switching a Vette OS over to discrete fan control. It works, but cannot be controlled with the Tech 2 unless the vehicle is identified as a truck.

So my worry may have been for nothing, but I wanted to test my fans before I move on to the next phase of the project.

Tuner in Training
    Hi mate, ive literally joined the forum to get my PWM working on a 2013 ZL1 OS.
    Just a query on your post, was that e38's or e67's you were referring to?
    And was there any side effects from swapping system segments from corvette to camaro tune?

Cheers, James

Quote Originally Posted by pointblank5 View Post
    Hi mate, ive literally joined the forum to get my PWM working on a 2013 ZL1 OS.
    Just a query on your post, was that e38's or e67's you were referring to?
    And was there any side effects from swapping system segments from corvette to camaro tune?

Cheers, James
    E38. No idea if there were side effects, I only saw the car through text here on the forum. You'd have to ask the owner but since I didn't see any follow-up posts with other problems I can only assume there weren't any.

Thread in question is here: https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...an-help-needed

Senior Tuner
    Just a heads up.. that fan module on C6 vettes is finicky and the connectors even on stock cars will melt down occasionally.

We use to sell them in a kit that were installed on E67 and E40 Trailblazer SS's. Most did fine but enough did not to were we stopped selling them.

I definitely wouldn't use one again. They didn't even cool that well. I've even cut a couple fan shrouds for some C6 customers to run them on 2 smaller fans in parallel/series operation. That cools far far better.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

What works even better is the GM-version SPAL 14" or 19" brushless fans, from C7 Vette or Camaro/CTS.

Senior Tuner
    I don't know if those are able to work with E38/E67

I asked spal directly for a datasheet on how the controller works etc.. they wouldn't share it and we are dealers and move a decent amount of inventory.

Seems like I remember someone else trying to get them to work and not getting anywhere. I could be wrong.. its happened before.. lol
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

The aftermarket SPAL brushless are problematic, if being controlled by the stock ECM. Their PWM logic is reversed.

The OE versions work fucking awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    I don't know if those are able to work with E38/E67

I asked spal directly for a datasheet on how the controller works etc.. they wouldn't share it and we are dealers and move a decent amount of inventory.

Seems like I remember someone else trying to get them to work and not getting anywhere. I could be wrong.. its happened before.. lol
    I had issues, don't know whether it was an E40 thing or a Trailblazer/Envoy OS thing, with getting no output on the signal wire when it was set to PWM EV @ 100 or 128 Hz. TB/Envoy originally used PWM EV @ 2 Hz. But PWM Electric puts out a valid signal and controls the fan just fine. I'm using the 14" C7 fan adapted to a stock TB shroud, 2 years now with no problems.

20190518_014423s.jpg

Tuner in Training
    Thankyou for your reply mate!
    I read that thread and believe both the ecm and trans system segments needed to be swapped in his case, as he was having comms issues to the trans controller.
    I have found a stock (I believe) 2013 corvette ZR1 file on the internet, which will be able swap into my OS.
    However as the corvette is manual, and mine is auto, so I'm not sure if i will have the same comms issues as the guy in the aforementioned thread.

Making my problem harder is the fact I have to book in with my tuner to try each idea (I am doing all the homework, he is reluctant to do so understandably)
    Also, I dont have access to the repository. I'm wondering if anyone would be generous enough to send me a few tune files of matching years/OS?
    This has been a steep learning curve into HP tuners and the lingo!

My E67 OS 12653669 and T43 OS 24264923 just in case!

Cheers, James

Wait just a minute. 2013 Corvette, either E38 or E67, already uses a PWM fan stock (not brushless, just a brushed fan motor with the Siemens module). What exactly is the problem you're trying to solve here? The previous thread was a Camaro, that used relay-controlled fans stock and was being converted to PWM.

edit: Oooh, you have a Camaro ZL1, with the relay fans, right? ZL1, ZR1... this is really hard without a real tune file to look at.
    Last edited by blindsquirrel; 12-15-2022 at 02:59 AM.

The only '13 Corvette files in the repo are E38, and I don't have one saved anywhere.

Tuner in Training
    Yes I have an E67 with camaro OS... running in an australian Colorado LSA swap... Using the original T43 from the 6L50 to control a 6L80...
    Haha so its a bit of a head f***

I see we cant attach files in PM's. If you'd like to have a look I could email my tune file to you if you would like to PM me with your email?
    Sounds like i may have got lucky finding the 2013 e67 corvette file that i have saved here.

If anyone else is reading this, I'd really be keen to see a stock 2013 corvette e67 file with PWM fans and an auto controller section!

Tuner in Training
    Just an update for anyone interested.

Yes the system segment swap from E67 corvette to E67 camaro OS's worked, PWM function switched on worked, and could control fan percentage in the scanner.
    But for my auto T43 application, no T43 system segment could be found that would communicate with the camaro engine OS with newly swapped corvette system segment.
    I did not want to try changing the entire T43 OS.

In the end I abandoned the idea, and went with a 3 relay low / high setup, after pinning in the 2nd fan output on the ecm. It works surprisingly nicely, and I wish I went this way to begin with lol.