Thread: Tuning for cam

Tuner in Training

Tuning for cam

So I know when adding a cam you need to decrease the VE in the lower RPMs and increase in the upper RPMs. I do have it sorted out in the upper range but some questions in the lower idle areas.

Noticing the spark does bounce quite a bit and believe this is because the VE is not quite right yet but would like some input on this. Also, when rolling off the throttle it sometimes stalls. In the car world we would add IAC. Is there something I need to configure on this?

Advanced Tuner
    The spark bouncing at idle, is from idle control, idle moving at rpm is from spark efficiency/torque control

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by MRRPMBRP View Post
    The spark bouncing at idle, is from idle control, idle moving at rpm is from spark efficiency/torque control
    What is the best way to fix?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Dottavi View Post
    What is the best way to fix?
    What are you wanting to fix?

Tuner
    What are you wanting to fix?
    I think he means fixing the spark bouncing at idle.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbranella View Post
    I think he means fixing the spark bouncing at idle.
    Spark moving around at idle is normal, as it is in about all efi electronic tb cars.

Tuner in Training
    Spark moving around at idle is normal, as it is in about all efi electronic tb cars.
    Completly agree with you. This is one of the ways it keeps the RPMs where it needs to be. Just seemed to be more than it should be. Got my VE dialed in and the KPA is now around 65-70 and the idle is much better and timing does not seem to jump around as much.

Still have a small issue where if I let off the throttle, RPMs drop and sometimes it is not able to recover and stalls. In say a Ford, I would increase IAC.

Advanced Tuner
    Increase sc tq, or reserve tq, or both