Thread: c7 6l80 trans running hot after it was replaced

Advanced Tuner

c7 6l80 trans running hot after it was replaced

So I have a 14 C7 with a 6l80. Trans blew, replaced everything with good parts. Running it through some tuning paces and it keeps running hot. 225 degrees or so with just light cruising. Both lines in and out of the cooler are hot to the touch. I'm guessing the fan isn't coming on. Is there anyway to control the trans fan on these cars with HP? I don't see anything but I've missed obvious stuff before. My guess is the fans broke. Anyone run into this issue?

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by JASON11WS6 View Post
    So I have a 14 C7 with a 6l80. Trans blew, replaced everything with good parts. Running it through some tuning paces and it keeps running hot. 225 degrees or so with just light cruising. Both lines in and out of the cooler are hot to the touch. I'm guessing the fan isn't coming on. Is there anyway to control the trans fan on these cars with HP? I don't see anything but I've missed obvious stuff before. My guess is the fans broke. Anyone run into this issue?
    check the basics first.....fluid level, etc. Did you flush the cooler after the transmission went out? If not, could have some debris causing issues. Only other thing mechanically could be the converter is stuck off. Should be able to command fan on and hear it without engine running. good luck

Tuner
    Also, check for a P184C-F for transmission fan codes. You should also have a bypass valve on your cooler lines that could be faulty or have debris in it. From the factory the fan runs slow at slower speeds and then ramps up at higher speeds. Hope some of this helps!

Senior Tuner
    And to add to the good suggestions above, you can use a vcx nano or similar tool to command the fans on with GMs service software called GDS. Nice easy way to test / rule them out.

Advanced Tuner
    The car is pretty loud but I'm pretty sure it's not coming on. HP can't command that fan on correct? I'll have to find a big boy scanner? The cooler was cleaned out, we're getting hot fluid in both lines in and out. It just seems like the cooler isn't working.