Thread: Advice on converter for 6L80 in 2015 Silverado

Tuner

Advice on converter for 6L80 in 2015 Silverado

finally got my tuning near perfect and now would like to replace the stock converter with something a little looser. Engine mods are rebuilt (all new GM parts)L83 with L86 intake, LSXceleration stage 2 cam, LT4 springs, speed engineering headers, 4 inch Flowmaster exhaust and rebuilt 6L80 with all GM parts, but stock. This is a driver mostly. just would like a little looser converter for it. What would you recommend for this truck? 2500 stall? thats usually the RPM range it starts waking up and pulling hard.

Senior Tuner
    I drove around with a 2800 stall for a few years. Really liked it. Is what a little on the loose side looking back so your thoughts on a 2500 are good.

When searching you need to make sure it's a multi disc that has frictions designed to handle continuous slip and WOT lockup. From there you will tune out the slip, but what those frictions will do is give you smooth engagement with little very little tuning effort required.

When purchasing a looser converter, save your money by not buying a multi-disk converter. All you need is a quality converter with a single lock-up disk unless you plan on locking the converter at WOT.

There is absolutely no reason to lock the converter at WOT on a street driven vehicle (trailored drag vehicle is different)

The stock 6L80E transmission has about 1,600 stall ... I think selecting a converter with no more than 2,800 stall would work great.

FYI ... I have a Circle-D 2,800 stall single lock-up clutch converter in my supercharged 2011 LS3 Corvette and am very happy with the performance it provides.