Thread: Should I update VCM suite?

Potential Tuner

Should I update VCM suite?

I am just getting started tuning and am using an old MPVI pro and VCM suite version 2.24.686. My MPVI is currently on 116 firmware. I know I don't want to go past VCM suite version 4.0.x for fear of the firmware update to 121 which from the horror stories could brick the interface.

Being new to tuning I am trying to learn as much as I can from youtube tutorials. Some things that stand out so far in VCM scanner is my channel list/table display looks quite different, I can't seem to search for PIDs (and couldn't find the closed loop enabled PID), I can't tell what a "broadcast parameter" is, and the histogram layout looks a bit different. The only thing I have read regarding a benefit of VCM version 2.24.x is that you can potentially change the (hexadecimal?) file to change parameters that are not supported by HP tuners. I am not very techy and doubt that I would ever use that feature. Also I can't open files from HPTs repository as it states I need a newer version of VCM. I am just looking to tune a couple GM gen 3 manual trans cars using an AEM X series 30-0300 wideband.

With that being said, am I missing out on anything big or helpful in the 3.x or 4.0.x versions of VCM suite? I have read that there can be issues when reading/writing tunes using different versions of VCM suite, so if I should update I want to do it now and stick with it. I appreciate any recommendations!

​​​

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    If you have no reason to update you are free to continue using your older software.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner
    Appreciate that, Bill! Looking over this change log it appears "more parameters added" in each of the 3.x series update, however I can't seem to find a more comprehensive list of the added parameters to understand if they are applicable to the 99-02 camaro/firebird V8 platform. Would you happen to have any more info on that?

http://www.hptuners.com/help/vcm-scanner/changelog.html

Also I see broadcast parameters were added in the 3.x versions. Does this provide any benefit if I am not currently maxing out the communication/processing bandwidth with the PIDs I am scanning?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I doubt many if any new tables have been added for any 99-02 platform in the past 10 years as those ecms had nearly 100% of our initial development time ie no stone was left unturned.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner
    Good to know, thanks!

Do you have approximate dates/years when v 2.24, 3.0, 3.2, 3.4, 3.6, 4.0 came out, or is this info somewhere I could find?